Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Any Mazda Speed fans out there?

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Some bigwig at mazda said a few years ago that the mazdaspeed was "juvenile" or some such and there was no plans to resurrect it. Even that article supports that notion. Seems the focus is on quality and "maturity".

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #3
Hence The.... This as close as we could get* at least the paint would be better Maybe*

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
The older Mazdaspeed 3 was a torque-steeraholic. I tested one for Motor Trend back in 2005 or so and hated it. It was nothing like our FiST as far as driving dynamics. It was trash! I never got to trst the one after that though as I had left the magazine by then.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
The older Mazdaspeed 3 was a torque-steeraholic. I tested one for Motor Trend back in 2005 or so and hated it. It was nothing like our FiST as far as driving dynamics. It was trash! I never got to trst the one after that though as I had left the magazine by then.

The insane torque is what made me buy it. All the mods in the world didn't tame the torque steer, it came with an LSD, and replaced all the motor mounts with very stiff aftermarket replacements. All you could do is learn to finesse the gas, or if you wanted, have the torque detuned. I trolled many V8's from pony cars to lifted trucks with that car.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
The insane torque is what made me buy it. All the mods in the world didn't tame the torque steer, it came with an LSD, and replaced all the motor mounts with very stiff aftermarket replacements. All you could do is learn to finesse the gas, or if you wanted, have the torque detuned. I trolled many V8's from pony cars to lifted trucks with that car.
They limited the power in 1st and 2nd gears and it did little to help that horrible torque steer. It was a horrible car driving dynamics-wise too. I hated it! I've known Dave Coleman since he worked at Sport Compact Car before he became a super-engineer for Mazda. I'm sure that next generation was a better car.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I love Mazda. The 2nd generation speed 3 in my opinion is one of the best looking hatchbacks ever at least in America. The hood looked so cool and they have a great set of wheels on them.
My Wife has a 2011 Mazda 3 2.5 hatchback, and that car is not going anywhere until it is junkyard ready.

I really like the new Mazda 3 you can get it in all wheel drive. Definitely like the turbo option it needs more power for how nice looking the car is.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Erick_V

Previous car was a Gen2 MS3. I laugh when people talk about torque steer from this car, I never even notice it. If you owned a MS3 you know all about "the grip" you had to have at all times lol. Handling was good, not great but I really enjoyed living with that car every day. Every now and then I find myself on FB Marketplace looking at prices

To me, the only "real" mazdaspeed will always be the mazdaspeed miata and the mazdaspeed protégé. They're the only truly well balanced mazdaspeed cars that followed the genuine philosophy of Mazda and relied not only on pure brute force like the 3s, not matter which gen.

Business6

I had a soft spot for the MSP and I'm looking into picking up an MSM for a weekend car in the next year or two. In a previous relationship my SO and I co-owned an 06 Speed6 which was a ton of fun but man did we worry about that car with the various issues that we had. Looking back at it now it wasn't bad at all but it was driven almost 30k a year between us and I still had my modded Mazda6i that I drove daily, too.

Mazda has most definitely moved up-market. They want to appeal to both the upper level of the general brands and their premium brands alike which means they're not going to be attracting the MS3 crowd while going for the Lexus crowd at the same time. Not anymore, at least

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I had a cosmic blue genwon. I think the ms6 front end looked nasty (in a good way). But they were plagued with first gen motor issues.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I love Mazda. The 2nd generation speed 3 in my opinion is one of the best looking hatchbacks ever at least in America. The hood looked so cool and they have a great set of wheels on them.
My Wife has a 2011 Mazda 3 2.5 hatchback, and that car is not going anywhere until it is junkyard ready.

I really like the new Mazda 3 you can get it in all wheel drive. Definitely like the turbo option it needs more power for how nice looking the car is.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Also a Mazda fan myself, they’ll likely be the next recipient of my money given that Ford no longer wants it. Ideally I’d like 3 pedals, but their skyactiv automatic transmissions are about as good as autos come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well....if you liked Mazdaspeed 3's and 6s this may as close as we can get....and ill throw money down there will be a Turbo Hatch!

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a32757466/2021-mazda-3-turbo-mazdaspeed-3/

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
While this exciting I’m really really excited by this:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/amp32109038/mazda-6-rwd-confirmed-2022/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Had a 2006 Mazdaspeed6 w/E30 tune. Absolutely loved that thing even if it was 500 lbs too heavy. I'd buy another if I could find one unmolested. Hoping they make something worth buying again as Mazda service was top notch to work with even with the car modified. Mazdaspeed Miata RF would get my attention.

I attempted to buy a Mazdaspeed Miata a while back, but there was a lot of funny business with the title (tell me if you've heard this story before: they were selling it for someone else), so it fell through. I did get to drive it... very old school turbo, no power until 4k RPM, which is a different kind of fun.

I think the new turbo Mazda3 will address the lack of power complaints of the NA versions, but not much else. It will put it in a very niche category of small AWD hatchbacks. Might be a concern for Subaru.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I attempted to buy a Mazdaspeed Miata a while back, but there was a lot of funny business with the title (tell me if you've heard this story before: they were selling it for someone else), so it fell through. I did get to drive it... very old school turbo, no power until 4k RPM, which is a different kind of fun.

I think the new turbo Mazda3 will address the lack of power complaints of the NA versions, but not much else. It will put it in a very niche category of small AWD hatchbacks. Might be a concern for Subaru.
Subaru will be worried not to mention buyers of a VW Golf will cross-shop the Mazda and awd could be a determining factor for folks that don't realize 2WD with snow tires is better than AWD and all-seasons.