Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Any recent feedback on the Flowmaster exhaust system?

Searches have revealed very little information on this system. Being an old guy (late 50s), it is one of the few brands I recognize, but it does not even show up on the exhaust poll thread (What exhaust did you buy?). I like the price ($575 or less) and the manufacturer's description (louder and more aggressive for spirited driving, but quiet for highway cruising). Does anybody here own one? What do you think? I would like something that is louder, as I can't even hear the stock system, but I also occasionally use the car for highway travel.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
I'm not sure what muffler they use on that system, but if it's the good old 40 series, it might drone.

I've had 40s/Super 40s on foxbody 5.0 Mustangs (dumped and full tails), on a 2.3 turbo SVO mustang and on my Chevelle. All of them sounded great, but did drone at cruising speeds.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

HBEcoBeaST

The flowmaster is louder than Cobb and mountune IMO. To me it sounds like a slightly more aggressive/burbly borla or magnaflow. Only heard it from the outside though can't speak for drone.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
No personal experience, looking at the pics at https://www.cjponyparts.com/flowmas...-stainless-steel-fiesta-st-2014-2019/p/CBF71/ it looks kinda like a flowmaster 50 series muffler with a small resonator. The 50 series is a delta flow so I doubt it's doing any active cancellation in the fist-typical 3200 rpm range, an the length of the front resonator isn't long enough to touch that range either, so chances are it's probably going to drone a bit. The short front resonator is probably there to make it less raspy - there are tons of sound clips and it sounds pretty decent, if perhaps a little hollow.

As is always the recommendation, if hate drone, go Thermal (their quarter wave resonator is spot-on for cancelling FiST drone). If you dislike drone, go CP-E (their helmholtz chamber covers a slightly broader range, but is a little undersized to completely soak up 106.67hz frequencies). If you don't mind drone, get anything but MBRP (they'll all vary in severity, but none of the other options actively target the 106.67 range of frequencies). If you love drone and hate having the ability to hear, get an MBRP. If you hate money and want to throw it all away, build a few custom systems, do acoustic research, and buy/modify an MBRP to prove it can be tamed :p

Brianmc27

How loud is the Thermal compared to something like this?

I’ve been leaning Thermal but don’t need a 3” pipe. Never plan on more than a Hybrid and wouldn’t minds saving some moneys.

Just want something loud, but not MBRP loud.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club

I’ve been leaning Thermal but don’t need a 3” pipe. Never plan on more than a Hybrid and wouldn’t minds saving some moneys.

I think the thermal is regarded as one of the more "civilized" systems, since its fairly quiet until you get on it.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
That’s what I understood. I think I want something louder, that won’t drill my kids ears out - like the MBRP would.
Yeah you want to avoid those subsonic frequencies in general, but especially with young ears. I'd go thermal, or maybe a resonator delete on stock. The resonator delete on stock hardly adds any inside noise but sounds kinda neat with the windows down.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account

The Flowmaster system is one of those kits that isn't very popular compared to MBRP and Thermal but I have to say I really like the tone.
I have all positive feedback on the fitment and sound. Most of my customers are using it with the OEM downpipe.
Sound level is definitely on the more subtle side closer to Thermal but not as quiet.
No where near the sound level as MBRP or cp-e

I would love to have some true angry rally car noises coming from my FiST, but it takes too many long trips for me to tolerate any amount of drone, and my GF has enough problems with the car without it being loud...

I think Thermal is going to be my choice once I have that much cash free

Brianmc27

Yeah you want to avoid those subsonic frequencies in general, but especially with young ears. I'd go thermal, or maybe a resonator delete on stock. The resonator delete on stock hardly adds any inside noise but sounds kinda neat with the windows down.
I may do the resonator delete as a short term solution, but in all honesty I want interior noise, especially after just having done my symposer delete.

My daughters are always happy to hear go-fast noises.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I may do the resonator delete as a short term solution, but in all honesty I want interior noise, especially after just having done my symposer delete.

My daughters are always happy to hear go-fast noises.
Yeah, but be careful because 106hz and below causes permanent hearing loss - once those lil' hairs in your ears lay down they never come back up.

I have it.
There is zero drone. None. I hate drone, I'd ditch this exhaust in a second if it droned. Thankfully it does not.

"louder and more aggressive for spirited driving, but quiet for highway cruising" is actually a very good description of it. Its very loud (too me) at cold start and when driving aggressively, mild when cruising. I can easily have a conversation in the car on the highway.

Fit and finish is perfect, no complaints there. Also comes with 4 urethane hangers so no need to buy any.