Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anybody have this paint issue? Just discovered it and how Do i get ford to fix it?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
The paint issue definitely left a bad taste in my mouth. Last ford product for sure the only vehicle I have ever had with paint problems. I truly feel bad for people in environments that have to deal with salt. I don't even have to deal with that and I still have corrosion problems.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
I wonder if the Normal Fiesta Guys have paint issues or is it just The ST's?
Since they go down the same production line and paint process I'd say it's the same. I can't imagine why they'd be different or you would think that they would be.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
My claim was denied by the dealer NOT Fomoco. The dealer told me it was Fomoco who denied me. I spoke to Fomoco Customer service and they said Oh no...we said yes and they told you NO. I left a scathing review of the dealership on Google that stands to this day. The Owner has called me....The Shop Manager of the Body and Mechanical also called me to have a sit down and i flat out NEVER responded. That was the nail in the coffin for me NEVER buying a brand new Fomoco product every again.
Your issue is with the dealer and not being aware the dealer by federal law has nothing to do with your warranty. Did you take it to another dealer?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Your issue is with the dealer and not being aware the dealer by federal law has nothing to do with your warranty. Did you take it to another dealer?
No its with Both.....Shit paint and Poor customer service...if you wanna call it that. I have worked for Chysler/ Jeep/ Dodge. They took care of people and didnt bat an eye with any pain defect within warranty* No Guff or Griping..it was all about retaining the customer. I came from another ferd dealer due their lack of customer service even under warranty with other repairs that needed addressing. They Also had their heads so far up their asses that would need a colostomy bag.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Ford approved, and fixed/repainted my whole roof for the antenna area bubbling.
But they flat out denied all of the inside of the door, hatch and hood seam bubbling/defects.

I'm guessing that they would fight you in court about this as well.
Since that would still cost them less than basically rebuilding, and repainting the whole car, which is what would have to be done with new, bare doors, hatch, and hood in order to fix this, at least according to all on here. [:(] [mad]
You don't have to go to court, using the M-M act is free and binding on Ford. And zero lawyers. Unfortunately most do not know about it. I would think that if you make the case that the rust was caused by a manufacturing defect of painting a wet joint they would tell ford to fix it. That panel rusted for years before exposing the defect.
Do not argue the rust warranty provisions, use a manufacturing defect as being the cause of the rust. It will be damn near impossible for the Ford rep to argue this was not plausible. Take some scientific documentation on rust and moisture, how long it takes for rust to form and crack paint so you see the issue. Look in marine research for that info. Take weather info for the area or time frame for your car build in Mexico. The Ford rep will come in loaded for bear on the Ford rust warranty and you cannot win with that. Flip the script and make him tap dance over your documentation and defective manufacturing claim. Make him explain how rust forms in a seam that is properly sealed from moisture with primer/paint. If only some cars were affected it will back up claims of painting over wet seams occasionally. Bring in Forum pics and complaints of the problems. The fact they did some repairs on the car puts them on the hot seat to justify some but not all rust issues. It is arbitration not court, the arbitrator may not know jack about cars. So it comes down to what he feels is the right thing to do for you and Ford. If you win I'll bet Ford just buys the car back and walks away from it. Then they sell it wholesale and it will still be cheaper than fixing it and possible future claims from you.

I have the same exact paint issue.... 2016 Kona Blue just like op. I can wipe away the paint with my finger ....haha.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
My 2014 Performance Blue is the same way. Wrinkled paint around the antenna and surface rust at the rear of the roof that you can only see with the hatchback partially open.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
...and chips by the trim piece holding the license plate lights.
This is from vibrations of the trim piece resting against the hatch.... in 2018+ they put a strip of clear PPF on either side where the trim was making contact. I can confirm this because my buddy has a 2018 that he bought new.

I tried fixing mine, but probably made it worse.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
I saw some people on the focus forums mentioning if age and mileage still within the 36k/3yr bumper to bumper to approach it from that angle. I went to a high end body shop today to try and get an estimate on repairing front passenger door seam and hatch bubbling. Dude said flat out to go after Ford to cover it and didnt even give me an estimate. Said he would need to replace the door/hatch and blend the whole car. I was hoping they would be able to repair the "areas". I don't want ford touching my car though.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I saw some people on the focus forums mentioning if age and mileage still within the 36k/3yr bumper to bumper to approach it from that angle. I went to a high end body shop today to try and get an estimate on repairing front passenger door seam and hatch bubbling. Dude said flat out to go after Ford to cover it and didnt even give me an estimate. Said he would need to replace the door/hatch and blend the whole car. I was hoping they would be able to repair the "areas". I don't want ford touching my car though.
I don't blame you for that, because even though the Carstar, owned by, and used by Fred Beans for their Ford warranty repairs did a decent matching, and finish job on my roof (for the antenna bubbling thing), there are numerous 'fisheyes', dust spot 'pores' over the roof. [mad]

It's as if they did not consider this car as much of a 'priority' as other more costly rides, or long term customers' repairs, and painted it out in the open shop, and not in a proper downdraft/whatever booth, or something. [thumbdown]

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
I don't blame you for that, because even though the Carstar, owned by, and used by Fred Beans for their Ford warranty repairs did a decent matching, and finish job on my roof (for the antenna bubbling thing), there are numerous 'fisheyes', dust spot 'pores' over the roof. [mad]

It's as if they did not consider this car as much of a 'priority' as other more costly rides, or long term customers' repairs, and painted it out in the open shop, and not in a proper downdraft/whatever booth, or something. [thumbdown]
I tried Brandywine Coachworks in Trooper. He didnt seem keen on grinding and repairing the spots on the inner door seam or hatch. Almost tempted to talk to this place?

http://www.jnjautorestoration.com/pricing.php

I mean this shit must be able to get patched up. Better than doing nothing and probably better than ford giving me a lower quality paint job than I have now. Its like a rock and a hard place.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
^^They are right out of/north of Doylestown along the 611 corridor.

I may see what they can do as well, if they don't just flat out refuse to work on non-vintage/muscle/hot rod cars. LOL
I know it. Kinda grasping at straws at the moment. I feel like after all i invested in parts and in the exterior paint, I should do something to keep it from slowly and painfully dissolving on me lol.

Was doing some spring cleaning and found some more roof/hatch paint issues cropping up:oops::oops:

This is on the edge of the roof (left), reflecting off the raised hatch (right). Lots of paint flakes all in the upper hatch inside near the hinges.

Previous paint issues: https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/roof-issue.18586/

Last edited: