Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anybody sold their Porsche Boxter or Cayman and bought a Fiesta ST?

Nope, but my father has a '13 Boxster S and we swap cars from time to time, and hit the twisties. The guy has a friggin' BALL in my car. Laughing his ass off and continually amazed by the handling and torque delivery.
While his Boxster isn't as 'fun' as my car to drive, it certainly seems more competent, and don't get me started on the difference between the build qualities and interior qualities.

FiST = toy
Boxster/Cayman = tool

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Sell their Porsche to buy a FiST?:ROFLMAO: Most Porsche owners can afford to buy a FiST besides their Porsche. Though speaking of this I did know a guy who owned a 994 that lost it in a divorce and wound up buying a FiST and liking it more.

As far as Boxster/Caymen’s go…
depending on years FiST can really run the Boxster/Caymen( early ones). Later ones looking at you 918. Could be quite the challange as Porsche upped the game with them.
Unless upgraded Turbo they will absolutely hand you your butt in a straight line. In corners its more competitive.

FiST is visceral it draws you in or out emotionally. The Boxster is clinical and precise but does so with less emotion.
I own a BMW E36 M3 have owned a couple of them. The FiST is more fun. Yet the BMW can do things its not supposed to do as well . It‘s just more sophisticated and refined in the driving. Both it and the FiST can make holes where there are none. Yet the FiST feels like it can slip through a pin hole. Both cars can make one drive like a complete ass.
Again the FiST feels its econo car roots though. In that sense it feels more like the raw sports car vibe. As it lets you know your driving a inexpensive car.

The BMW is amazing but smooth with tons of torque and 6 cylinder engine car is gonna do that as they have gobs of torque compared to us.
In the end I drive the FiST on a daily basis and for shear outright fun.

I have to ask why are you asking all these FiST vs Porsche FiST vs that…. etc questions. If you like the FiST or are interested in it find one to drive and check it out.
I test drove a FiST on a whim and immediately knew I had to buy one. I did not go around asking if it would kick other cars asses, or who designed it.
Did not care, it was way to fun just had to buy one.

Last edited:

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
This is a weird thread - the FiST is laughably, disposably cheap - it's why a bunch of us have them as fun dailies. I look at it like a Ninja 250 - it's so cheap you can do things you'd be otherwise concerned about doing on a more expensive bike, so it feels like an absolute hero. If you wipe it in a corner or hit something you can just go buy another one and not feel bad about it.

The two really aren't directly comparable in any meaningful way. If you want to "beat" porsches in a FiST you'll wind up giving up some of the reliability and a bunch of the... I guess you could call it "comfort" that the FiST provides - just to hang with an older, bone stock porsche. You can buy a new cayman for 70-80k and have an absolute blast in a much faster car with a fully intact warranty and all-day comfort, or you can spend 10-15k on a used FiST and mod the tits off it and have a great time - but it'll never perform at that level while also being a car you want to spend all day driving up the coast in - at least not when you're 35+ years old. A couple hours sure, but the FiST has my kidneys beat to shit after a full day.

I wouldnt sell my porsche to buy a fiesta, but I've had two fiesta st and I own a newer 911 turbo and have owned several air-cooled 911. Amongst other sports cars. I love my old fiesta st and the one I just bought is great. I always lived in the heart of St. Louis Missouri so my fiesta or the gti's or whatever I owned before it were good for street parking when I shopped and putting around town. Now I live in a more suburban area, but im still glad I have a cheaper little car to tear around in. Also, its nice to be low key. You never feel like more of an asshile than pulling up to your child's school in a 200mph car. The teachers and parents think you're a playboy and irresponsible. Especially since I'm not married. it's also annoying hearing "wut Dat got on da dash" 5 times a day driving a turbo or exotic.

Not to mention the fiesta is as much fun as any other car at least half the time. There are few times in my fiesta where I wish I had taken another car that day....

Dpro,

Exactly, I drove a fiesta after seeing it in car and driver and went and drove/ bought a leftover 16 immediately. I didn't ask any questions and never even thought about comparing to another car. I could care less that some of my snobby friends who own fancy cars jist for prestige laugh at it. It's much greater than the sum of it's parts. It's a handsome car too. My first fiesta was hit and totaled, so I flew 970 miles to buy another clean one. I just wish I could have bought another new one.....

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I was out the door with my fiesta at $11k. It reliably got me to construction sites and back for several years and all I’ve done is custom tune and basic maintenance.

I’ve been an electrician for 14 years and spent most of that time commuting in hatchbacks that are fun and get good gas mileage. The fiesta has been overall the best value so far.

I can’t say I’ve ever seen a Porsche in a construction site parking lot around here.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I was out the door with my fiesta at $11k. It reliably got me to construction sites and back for several years and all I’ve done is custom tune and basic maintenance.

I’ve been an electrician for 14 years and spent most of that time commuting in hatchbacks that are fun and get good gas mileage. The fiesta has been overall the best value so far.

I can’t say I’ve ever seen a Porsche in a construction site parking lot around here.
i do have a weird hard-on in the dusty back corner of my brain for one of these tho

I had a 981 Cayman GTS that I traded for a 981 GT4, which I currently have. My girlfriend had a 718 base Cayman and currently has a Cayman T. My GT4 was purchased in January 2018 as a CPO with 765 miles on it and currently has 8100 miles on it. I do 2000 miles a year basically and all those miles are in the mountains or spirited drives. I'm fortunate to live near fun roads and I'm close to some epic roads.

I've installed Dundon Race Headers, Dundon tune, and purchased some GiroDisc iron rotors to run to preserve the ceramic brakes.

My FiST was purchased as a leftover 2017 in late 2018. It has 32000 miles on it. It gets used for groceries, commuting, mountain runs, and it's my primary track car. On the FiST I have done air intake, Fortune Auto 500s, two sets of OZ wheels, Cobb AP, RMM, three sets of rotors/pads, and have the M-Factory LSD still to install. Also a few other things here and there.

I've done more to the FiST but spent close to the same amount of money. And the GT4 is still the more competent car. A Cayman is always going to be a more competent car. Even out of the box, the Cayman T is more competent. It carries the speed better, corners better, it's mid-engine, it's better balanced, it has considerably larger rubber, it brakes better, has better clutch feel, better steering feel, and better brake feel. If you're giving up a Cayman or Boxster for a Fiesta ST it's not because it's better. It's because it's more fun. It's also less expensive, less worrisome, seats more people, and provides a different type of engagement.

I've shared this several times, that I also ride motorcycles. I have a 2017 BMW S1000RR. It's the most insane thing I've ever owned. It's arguably one of the best super sport bikes made. I also have a Honda Grom. The Grom is the more fun bike to ride. And it barely does 55 mph. It's 0-60 in never. But it's an absolute blast.

That's the Fiesta ST. It's a blast. It engaging and fun and genuinaly is a laugh to drive hard. And yes, with enough money and the right driver, can be made to run with Porsches.

Fiestig

I have multiple Fiesta STs and have driven most all Cayman models and the only one that can make you smile more at times is the GT4 whether it be last gen 981 or new gen 718(which is stupid amounts of fun) . Consequently the GT4 is also the only cayman sub model that I don't walk past in the my FiST #1.

Rolled a Cayman S a few months ago and ran into him 3 weeks ago in his new 2016 FiST which he was more than happy to say how much he loved so much more in comparison and the overall lower costs were just a bonus. For some people the amount of fun just makes it so much better overall in comparison to most anything else........cough* minus the current 718 GT4 in my book...lol.

Yeah I hear you Macey, my fiesta with Indy 500 tires, kw coilovers, recaros, stock tune, is an absolute blast on the mountain roads. No need for a tune. The car is plenty fast with a stock tune. Anyway, the fiesta feels like literally a go-kart just with a very high seated position and high center of gravity. Still a blast. You definitely feel the element of danger because at the end of the day it’s a freakin hatchback with a freakin beam axle in the back. On a wet or really cold day at the mountains forget it. Still love the car. Bought it 15k miles, blew the engine at 110k, currently swapping in another engine.

My 996 carrera on the other hand with koni coil overs set to stiff and summer continentals feels like what I imagine a gt3 class race car would feel like on the mountains. It just feels so competent, and the flat 6 engine is just a pure pleasure to rev out. Shifting it to 7k while hearing the engine growl is something everyone should experience. Nothing else like it. Anyway the car truly performs in the mountains roads weather wet or cold you’ll make it safely.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Yeah I hear you Macey, my fiesta with Indy 500 tires, kw coilovers, recaros, stock tune, is an absolute blast on the mountain roads. No need for a tune. The car is plenty fast with a stock tune. Anyway, the fiesta feels like literally a go-kart just with a very high seated position and high center of gravity. Still a blast. You definitely feel the element of danger because at the end of the day it’s a freakin hatchback with a freakin beam axle in the back. On a wet or really cold day at the mountains forget it. Still love the car. Bought it 15k miles, blew the engine at 110k, currently swapping in another engine.

My 996 carrera on the other hand with koni coil overs set to stiff and summer continentals feels like what I imagine a gt3 class race car would feel like on the mountains. It just feels so competent, and the flat 6 engine is just a pure pleasure to rev out. Shifting it to 7k while hearing the engine growl is something everyone should experience. Nothing else like it. Anyway the car truly performs in the mountains roads weather wet or cold you’ll make it safely.
Get better tires than those Indy 500’s. :ROFLMAO: My Feddy Rs Pro’s would work wonders in comparision as would my Falken RT660’s even more so. Indy 500’s are for people who don’t want to spend money and are willing to sacrifice turn in and cornering prowess for longevity.

Get better tires than those Indy 500’s. :ROFLMAO: My Feddy Rs Pro’s would work wonders in comparision as would my Falken RT660’s even more so. Indy 500’s are for people who don’t want to spend money and are willing to sacrifice turn in and cornering prowess for longevity.
How would you rate the oem Bridgestones ?

I'm sure DPro will chime in. My FiST came with the Bridgestones. I run 888Rs on the track with OEM wheels, have 615s currently on the car, and have 660s on my other set of OZs. I also ran P Zero Nero's.

The Bridgestones were great and I'd have easily gone with them if they were available. The P Zero Nero's had decent mileage but I couldn't wait to get them off. Slow turn in, low confidence in the mountains, and always felt like you were rolling over on the sidewall.

The 660s and 615s have proven to be great tires. The 615s are quieter and don't bite under acceleration as much. Less torque steer and tramlining. I think the 660s with the LSD will be a great combo.

I just Bought the FiST but I went to buy a BMW M5.... Like, paid money to have it shipped to my local carmax, went to buy it, ready to buy it, and drove the FiST (No where near as fast or anything, but the cheap price and cheap mods pushed it over the top for me)... I've only had it for almost two and and half weeks and have already spent almost 6x of what will be my monthly payment on mods.... sooooooo maybe not necessarily a cheaper purchase just yet, but I still think it was a good call

I just Bought the FiST but I went to buy a BMW M5.... Like, paid money to have it shipped to my local carmax, went to buy it, ready to buy it, and drove the FiST (No where near as fast or anything, but the cheap price and cheap mods pushed it over the top for me)... I've only had it for almost two and and half weeks and have already spent almost 6x of what will be my monthly payment on mods.... sooooooo maybe not necessarily a cheaper purchase just yet, but I still think it was a good call
Congratulations on the purchase.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
OEM Bridgestones were not bad I heat cycled them pretty quickly :LOL:. They wore out really fast. like 10k or less. They were also expensive as hell to replace and even Re71’s which used to be the go too tire was expensive though less than the RE50‘s not sure why? They were better tires.
I feel both the RS Pro’s and the Falkens are a step up from the RE50’s though. RS Pro‘s are like really affordable. Federals do tend to be an easy score. I think the Falkens edge the Federals though but you pay it for it as well . The Falkens fall in between the Feddys and the 71’s. Though they are great tires for the streets and Canyons and tracks days if you don’t mind running through them fast on the track. ‘
Track tires come down to two choices either absolute grip and fast as hell but wear out quickly or slightly less grip but last a lot longer . If Hankook had RS4’s in a size that was ideal I would consider them for that longevity slight less grip but they make up for it in endurance.