Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anybody sold their Porsche Boxter or Cayman and bought a Fiesta ST?

Interesting thread, I can’t speak to the ownership of a porsche. But I typically drive in the mountains with those types of cars and normally we all part ways in the afternoon with them trying to justify why their more expensive car was worth it. All the while bewildered how I was able to keep up with or how they couldn’t keep up with me. And thats really due to the guy behind the wheel in most cases (guy with more money than experience).

I’d love to own a Porsche one day, but my Fiesta is just too good of a car to get rid of.

I think the most important thing to do is enjoy your car and drive it like it was meant to be driven (mountain roads or track). Nothing is worse than seeing a guy in a GT3 at cars and coffee and you can tell it just sits in his garage waiting for the next cars and coffee to come around.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I think the most important thing to do is enjoy your car and drive it like it was meant to be driven (mountain roads or track). Nothing is worse than seeing a guy in a GT3 at cars and coffee and you can tell it just sits in his garage waiting for the next cars and coffee to come around.
THIS is de rigueur/common expected practice around here, as one sees many high zoot/top performance models out on the roads, and in parking lots/driveways, and you can tell the car has never ever seen a track, or even been driven hard, at all.

The owners just are compelled to show off their wealth/'success' in the form of a rolling sable coat, or a rolling solid gold Rolex, for all to see.

The joke's on them though, since everyone else and their great grand 5th auntie also has a rolling status-mobile in this area, so they are really nothing special anyway. LOL (FiSTS are much rarer than any 'exotic' around here. [wink])

Just as an addendum; just now there was a LOUD 911 series GT2 (I think, it looked like a GT2 with the 'non-skeleton' type, all body material/carbon?, no exposed alloy rear wing??) in black, buzzing around, and it had a big track number on it's door flanks.

So, at least ONE status-mobile driver around here does open track/PCA club event their car, unless he was being a TOTAL poseur, and put numbers on the car to just make it look like he uses it the way it was built to be used (which would surprise me a little, but not shockingly if that were the case LOL).

Last edited:

pwnall1337

Vendor
If I wanted another small car I'd definitely buy a fiesta st and instead of overdoing it with turbo lag I'd probably go with a gtx2860 with a smaller tial .52 housing and spool it up around 3500 RPM with an XDI35 and 30% injectors.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this in my previous post, my old next door neighbor had an Elise and an evora gt. We talked cars all the time from the moment I bought the home because he saw all my cars. He was a little surprised when he saw a fiesta st out front and after taking him for a rode, a grey fiesta st magically popped up parked in front of mine a few days Later.

I think you'd find porsche owners more receptive to owning a fiesta or similar car anyways. Their choice to drive a higher end porsche 911 is already a "practical" decision compared to many cars that are probably in the owners budget. Since about 2008, it's been nearly as difficult to get new gt3, rs and gt3rs cars as any new ferrari besides a California and portofino. They are less flashy, more practical, and have a do more with less engineering philosophy. Porsche owners are already not buying for v8, v10, or v12 engines or to have the rarest and most ostentatious car in their building,club, parking lot, neighborhood, etc.. I personally have enjoyed the porsches I've owned more than other more exclusive cars.

Not sure how much this input helps but I'm pretty brand agnostic.

I rented a 987 Cayman S on vacation to Colorado once. I found in 95% of the situations that the Fiesta was more fun to drive. The gearing in the Cayman S did not make it feel very fast as it's super tall. The torquey motor and small size make the Fiesta feel pretty quick and fun even in the day to day grind. It took finding some of the most amazing roads I've driven on and exploring the chassis a little to make me really appreciate the Cayman. That steering rack is pure brilliance and the Fiesta offers almost none of that feedback. For specifically driving enjoyment on nice, empty roads or track driving the Porsche is brilliant but the Fiesta is more fun more of the time.

Unrelated to performance or driving, I felt a bit strange personally driving the Porsche around from an optics standpoint. I was asked flat out at a Chipotle by a stranger to buy them a meal. Telling them no was even more awkward than normal getting out of a Porsche. I live in NYC so I'm no stranger to being panhandled to but it was especially awkward getting out of a luxury car, even if it was $20-25k at most at the time. Surely something I could get used to but it was something I considered.

Yeah I hear you Macey, my fiesta with Indy 500 tires, kw coilovers, recaros, stock tune, is an absolute blast on the mountain roads. No need for a tune. The car is plenty fast with a stock tune. Anyway, the fiesta feels like literally a go-kart just with a very high seated position and high center of gravity. Still a blast. You definitely feel the element of danger because at the end of the day it’s a freakin hatchback with a freakin beam axle in the back. On a wet or really cold day at the mountains forget it. Still love the car. Bought it 15k miles, blew the engine at 110k, currently swapping in another engine.

My 996 carrera on the other hand with koni coil overs set to stiff and summer continentals feels like what I imagine a gt3 class race car would feel like on the mountains. It just feels so competent, and the flat 6 engine is just a pure pleasure to rev out. Shifting it to 7k while hearing the engine growl is something everyone should experience. Nothing else like it. Anyway the car truly performs in the mountains roads weather wet or cold you’ll make it safely.
Blew stock, untuned motor at 110K? Wtf

I came to this from a much loved S2000. Have a Z1000SX for summer fun. Also have an old 90s Del Sol that's used over the summer. The Fiesta has its place as a fun thing to hoon around in when the weather isn't nice enough for the other things.

It's a better car in every way than the S2000 except in aural satisfaction, a snail just can't compete with 9krpm NA noise with the roof open.

The only area the Fiesta falls short for me is the busy hard ride.

But overall its a great little thing. It's nice to drive different things.

I came to this from a much loved S2000. Have a Z1000SX for summer fun. Also have an old 90s Del Sol that's used over the summer. The Fiesta has its place as a fun thing to hoon around in when the weather isn't nice enough for the other things.

It's a better car in every way than the S2000 except in aural satisfaction, a snail just can't compete with 9krpm NA noise with the roof open.

The only area the Fiesta falls short for me is the busy hard ride.

But overall its a great little thing. It's nice to drive different things.
I loved my S2000. I had an AP2 and even though it didn't rev as high, it was still such a great engine. And had an incredibly good shifter.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I loved my S2000. I had an AP2 and even though it didn't rev as high, it was still such a great engine. And had an incredibly good shifter.
Honda's known for their transmissions, car or motorcycle. Good shifting, great feel. I noticed when I got my Suzuki that the tranny wasn't as nice as the Honda it replaced.

I bought an S2000 with 23miles on the odometer, off of the showroom floor in the Summer of 2007 in Williamsburg, VA. Had it for almost 3yrs and have regretted getting rid of it every day since. Both the AP1's and AP2's had wonderful engines! Mine was even the perfect color, Laguna Blue. :love:

This is one of the very few pics I have of that car.
IMG_9355.jpeg

The FiST however more than makes up for not having an S2000. It's actually a useful car for road trips! [thumb]

This is my lot. S2000 was with me for almost 10 years, probably the best car I've ever had or will ever have.

Attachments

Me personally I wouldn't mind grabbing a gt3 or gt2 not so much for the status symbol but for the car it's self I'm a firm believer in you can have a BA car and can't drive for Doo Doo or have a fiesta st type of car and be a super great driver.