Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone recently pass CA smog check with a tune?

I check Cobbs website and years show 2014-2016 if we have a 2017-2019 will we have issues?

My smog check is coming up in a few months and I plan to switch back to Cobb OTS S2 to make sure it is ready by then. I can do the stage 0 simulated stock tune if necessary but ugh it will be rough coming off E30 lol

Dialcaliper

I check Cobbs website and years show 2014-2016 if we have a 2017-2019 will we have issues?

My smog check is coming up in a few months and I plan to switch back to Cobb OTS S2 to make sure it is ready by then. I can do the stage 0 simulated stock tune if necessary but ugh it will be rough coming off E30 lol
It looks like COBB has indeed had a new EO issued through 2019, but it’s listed incorrectly on their sites. It covers the Stage0, Stage1 and Stage2 tunes.

EO-660-104 (old one was EO-660-80)

It’s interesting the “Stage0” tune is mentioned, which makes me wonder if COBB sort of had to update the EO - if the Stage0 has a slightly different checksum from the OEM Ford map, without the Cert, the only way to go “back to stock” for CARB would have been to flash at a dealer.

CARB database has the correct one you can look up here by number (and print out if needed)

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/applications/aftermarket-parts-database

COBB also has the pdf here if you look it up by the number

https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/PRS/pages/538116121/CARB+Executive+Orders

Last edited:
Thanks man, perfect! I printed out the new PDF, just what I needed in case they question it.

S2 91 is not as good as my E30 tune, but it sure beats going back to stock lol

Yeah , ran into an issue with the red ingen intake looking back at test guy. No big mods other than stage 2 but because he didn’t see a sticker …. so , I need some ideas. This is the first time having to “ smog “ it since buying 2014.

Help need some options.

Did you have the Cobb printout showing Stage 2 is smog-legal to show the tester?
No … where can I get that .
He mostly looked at Ingen ( wrinkle red ) and mentioned no sticker. Shop that put it in didn’t tell me shit about issues with smog down the line. It’s been in for 3 years.

What’s crazy is ingen looks like mishimoto ( without ingen badge ) and that has CARB EO #: D-759-1 , literally.

Dialcaliper

Last edited:
Yup, you can print the PDF of the order from the Cobb website. I’m hoping that will be enough for my smog guy, as I don’t have the decal.

Dialcaliper

No … where can I get that .
He mostly looked at Ingen ( wrinkle red ) and mentioned no sticker. Shop that put it in didn’t tell me shit about issues with smog down the line. It’s been in for 3 years.

What’s crazy is ingen looks like mishimoto ( without ingen badge ) and that has CARB EO #: D-759-1 , literally.
The bad news is that despite being similar, Injen never CARB certified their intake, so unless you have a lax technician, it won’t fly.

If you must have an intake and stay CARB Legal, your options are basically the “big” companies - AEM, COBB, Mishimoto or K&N. Also Mountune Airbox has a CERT (as part of the MP215 kit) and you can probably make an ST200 Airbox sneak past

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
If you look at Cobbs website it has the Carb Exemption numbers for the 2014-2016. I think Mountune covers for the same years. So the readiness state should be the same otherwise the company would probably not get an Exemption order number. The other aftermarket companies did not apply and pay for the exemption order, but it does not they will not pass smog.
The Cobb Stage 1 and 2 EO number is good through 2019. I know because they would not have given me EO stickers for my car otherwise and yes I have the Cobb intake which is EO certified and their latest stage 1 and 2 tunes stored on my AP.
Mountune had certs for the MP215 for 2014-2016 and did have EO numbers for their intercooler and intake hose. Though they do not have EO stickers they basically will print out a EO number sheet for you to carry in your glove. Ya had that when I had Mountune parts on my car.

Mikey456

The Cobb Stage 1 and 2 EO number is good through 2019. I know because they would not have given me EO stickers for my car otherwise and yes I have the Cobb intake which is EO certified and their latest stage 1 and 2 tunes stored on my AP.
Mountune had certs for the MP215 for 2014-2016 and did have EO numbers for their intercooler and intake hose. Though they do not have EO stickers they basically will print out a EO number sheet for you to carry in your glove. Ya had that when I had Mountune parts on my car.
It looks like they updated the EO numbers on their website. It can be helpful for folks who bought a used accessport.

So, this is interesting. I run the OTS, CARB-approved Stage 2 tune, and have printed out the EO order, tucked away in my glove box. I don't expect to have too much trouble with my known smog guy when I need to get my first test in February. He used to pass my Vortech-blown Mustang and didn't ever bother to look at the EO number stamped on it. But, I would like to have the sticker, in case I end up using a random shop that might be more picky.

However, since I didn't purchase my Stage 2 kit complete from Cobb or one of their dealers, I don't have a receipt for purchase of the entire kit. For that reason, they gave me static when I called to ask them to send me a D-660-6 CARB EO sticker. I offered to send photos of each of the components of the set to show that I had everything, installed on my car, but they said it was a state rule that if I couldn't prove that I had purchased all of the items together as the CARB-approved kit, they couldn't help me.

But, poking around the Cobb website yesterday, the D-660-6 sticker came up as a product that can be ordered, with a price of $0. I ordered one, paid a few bucks for shipping on the website, and this morning, I got a ship notice with a tracking number. Wondering why I could suddenly order a sticker from the website... I did download the CARB OTS Stage 2 tune from the website, which created an "order" that required me to input the serial number of my Cobb Accesport, and shows up in my order history. Maybe the fact that I downloaded the CARB Stage 2 tune to a confirmed Accessport allowed me to then order the CARB decal for the Stage 2 kit?

In any case, looks like I have a sticker on the way.

No he didn't. He didn't even know anything about the AP. I didn't even have to open the hood for him and I did after I'd passed!
Sounds like my smog guy. If the car looks fairly stock, he doesn't bother to open the hood. If he has to spend more than five minutes with you, he's wasting time.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Sounds like my smog guy. If the car looks fairly stock, he doesn't bother to open the hood. If he has to spend more than five minutes with you, he's wasting time.
Ya a lot are this. Even if they lift the hood if it looks stock from a glance and the plug in sensor reader is not detecting anything missing it’s a pass . Collect money thank you very much situation.

I think the key is to stay away from chain shops that are run by larger corps. Go to the mom and pop smog shops.

Dialcaliper

So, this is interesting. I run the OTS, CARB-approved Stage 2 tune, and have printed out the EO order, tucked away in my glove box. I don't expect to have too much trouble with my known smog guy when I need to get my first test in February. He used to pass my Vortech-blown Mustang and didn't ever bother to look at the EO number stamped on it. But, I would like to have the sticker, in case I end up using a random shop that might be more picky.

However, since I didn't purchase my Stage 2 kit complete from Cobb or one of their dealers, I don't have a receipt for purchase of the entire kit. For that reason, they gave me static when I called to ask them to send me a D-660-6 CARB EO sticker. I offered to send photos of each of the components of the set to show that I had everything, installed on my car, but they said it was a state rule that if I couldn't prove that I had purchased all of the items together as the CARB-approved kit, they couldn't help me.

But, poking around the Cobb website yesterday, the D-660-6 sticker came up as a product that can be ordered, with a price of $0. I ordered one, paid a few bucks for shipping on the website, and this morning, I got a ship notice with a tracking number. Wondering why I could suddenly order a sticker from the website... I did download the CARB OTS Stage 2 tune from the website, which created an "order" that required me to input the serial number of my Cobb Accesport, and shows up in my order history. Maybe the fact that I downloaded the CARB Stage 2 tune to a confirmed Accessport allowed me to then order the CARB decal for the Stage 2 kit?

In any case, looks like I have a sticker on the way.
It does kind of make sense for COBB to do it that way - the Accessport itself is not the modification that’s actually present or being checked, the ECU tune is.

Because CA is checking ECU checksums during the OBD scan, COBB doesn’t have to worry about anyone trying to “fake” it by slapping it on a non-COBB product. Also the Smog tech doesn’t need to do anything as the ECU check is part of the automated system - the EO will automatically get registered, even for the COBB “Stage0”. Again no way to fake because modern ECUs also have the car’s VIN stored, so you can’t just plug in another car anymore.