Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

AP Flex Fuel Capabilities

Dib

I'm real tired of gas pumps that say one thing but produce another, and I've never really been a fan of "close enough," I would love to be able to put whatever in the car and it just work optimally. Not just kinda work. SO I wanted to look into piecing together my own Flex Fuel system.

Question for the Cobb tuning gurus: does the fiesta st AP have the capability to make flex fuel adjustments?

I don't mind switching to a standalone for a bunch of reasons, but if I can somehow make a GM sensor work with the AP that would be pretty fuggin sweet too. The only company that I have found that makes a specific ECU for us is SCS Delta out of the UK, and I know virtually nothing about them. https://www.scs-delta.co.uk/product-page/ford-1-6-ecoboost-management-kit. I've always loved Haltech and AEMs abilities to be modular and as much of a pain in the ass as it would be to install using a universal kit I have nothing but time when i'm home in between deployments. BUT if I could avoid that tremendous adventure and make it more "future dibs" problem then I will.

thank you for any and all input.

koozy

3000 Post Club
It’s been discussed before, try searching the forum going 4yrs. Back. Cobb says it’s possible but the caveat is that there are no sensor inputs left on the AP, you’d have to give up one of the sensors up, the question is which one could the car operate without. Best to contact Cobb and talk to the guy leading the Ford platforms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
The AP will upload whatever tune you want to the ECU, but that's an offline process (car isn't running). The AP doesn't have any inputs other than the CAN bus. I suppose that you could hang a octane sensor on the CAN bus and figure out how to get the AP to read it (maybe), but that won't get you where you want to be: the AP doesn't send info. to the ECU in real time. You want to tell the ECU what the fuel looks like so that it will adjust. My understanding is that the ECU in the FiST doesn't have any analog inputs left. That doesn't mean that you couldn't have the ECU read the octane sensor that you hung off the CAN bus, but I suspect that is out of scope of the AP tuning tools.

I have multiple tunes loaded into my ECU at the same time and switch between them with my cruise control buttons (standard stuff). I'm sure that any of the pro-tuners could provide you with a collection of tunes, one each for a range of octane levels, and you could buy an octane sensor (Pwnall has one?) and fiddle between your tunes after you fill up and drive the car long enough to get the new mix past the sensor. That will be a hell of a lot less than a new ECU.

OP
Dib

Dib

Thread Starter #4
I have 91/93/e30 tunes right now that i can switch through, but i really would rather have the flex fuel so it's optimized for each level. I'm not opposed to spending the money for a standalone which it seems needs to be done. Learning that there are no other analogs kinda sucks but, it is what it is. thanks for the replies guys. ...hopefully early next year, when i'm back from the 'stan,