Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

APR will no longer sell downpipes, or stage 2 tunes starting Labor day among EPA crackdown, will this have a ripple affect?

I saw this title on reddit this morning and was wondering what the ripple affects will be? Will the EPA go after smaller tuners or even larger ones such as cobb?

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Are they going to stop selling all downpipes or just catless downpipes? Do you have a link to their announcement?

OP
bombo107
Thread Starter #3
Are they going to stop selling all downpipes or just catless downpipes? Do you have a link to their announcement?
https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/i3y2lx View: https://old.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/i3y2lx/largest_volkswagen_tuner_apr_will_no_longer_sell/

Just saw this on Reddit, there are a few links attached in the original post. It appears they will be not dealing with any downpipes regardless if it's catted or not.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm going to wait a bit before getting excited. I know that the EPA is really cracking down on diesel tuners for defeating emissions devices and tunes that run *way* rich (rolling coal) but I haven't heard a similar level of enforcement outside of diesel market.

IMHO, the "For Offroad Use Only" loophole that allows us to get our hands on catless downpipes for our street cars should be closed. This will affect legitimate use in motorsports, but too many of us are running catless downpipes on our street cars for a little more sound or to save $100 over a catted downpipe. Mods like intakes, exhaust, and even turbos and tunes don't, necessarily, increase emissions. Catless downpipes, for sure, do.

OP
bombo107
Thread Starter #5
I'm going to wait a bit before getting excited. I know that the EPA is really cracking down on diesel tuners for defeating emissions devices and tunes that run *way* rich (rolling coal) but I haven't heard a similar level of enforcement outside of diesel market.

IMHO, the "For Offroad Use Only" loophole that allows us to get our hands on catless downpipes for our street cars should be closed. This will affect legitimate use in motorsports, but too many of us are running catless downpipes on our street cars for a little more sound or to save $100 over a catted downpipe. Mods like intakes, exhaust, and even turbos and tunes don't, necessarily, increase emissions. Catless downpipes, for sure, do.
Yeah I agree, not going to worry about it just yet. Although I might purchase a catted DP in the near future just in case they decide to put anymore regulations on them. However, I really doubt they will. The rolling coal aspect is something I think should be regulated more strictly although I don't want that to snowball.

As someone who owned a Golf R, I can say that the time/money invested in getting to stage 2 on a VW really isn't worth it. The stage 1 tune gets you 80% of the power for $600-1200 (depending on if you have a DSG car and also go for the DSG tune). To get to stage 2 you're looking at another $2000-4000 in parts for that last 20% before you have to replace the turbo (manual cars will need a clutch as well). If you're chasing big numbers with your VW, you should just skip stage 2 and go straight for a turbo upgrade.

I wouldn't personally see this as a big negative if I was still in that world, but I definitely wasn't the typical VW fanboy.