Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Are coilovers for me? Help.

So I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to suspension. I am really wanting to pick up a set of BC coilovers but I'd like some input if they are right for my needs. I drive the car daily, I drive it from utah to California a couple times a year, car will see the track as well as many canyon runs. It will also be driven in the harsh winter conditions as well. Are coilovers a wise route for me or should I hold back? Thanks for the hekp guys.

It all depends. Are the roads you travel most bumpy, or is your driveway steep (if you have one). There are a bunch of variables but it will be lower and stiffer. If you don't mind it on the terrain you drive most then go for it. But stock suspension lowered from stock fiesta. 1.5 inches lower I believe. I might be off by a little. Being lower to the ground does complicate driving a little depending on the road that's why I ask. At the end of the day it's what you want for you car and what pleases you. If you do get them I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures good sir!

OP
J
Thread Starter #3
I don't have a steep driveway and the roads I drive aren't too bad either. I've driven a lowered car before, but it wasn't something I drove on road trips or in winter, I lived in San Diego at the time. I am just unsure if durability and longevity are an issue.

Once you dedicate yourself to coils it's always going to be more matinence and replacing of shocks and springs. But if you have snow and what not I personally wouldn't go with coils. But everyone has their opinion and I'm just throwing my two cents. I live in SoCal and the weather is the same year round with nice roads and I still am not putting any coils or springs because I'm over the lowered life. But everyone likes to display their personality through their cars and whether it be lowered, stanced, race, or stock, whatever makes you happy is the best thing to do man.

OP
J
Thread Starter #6
I would like to get rid of some of the wheel gap as well as get rid of that over bouncy feeling the stock suspension has. I plan on lowering it maybe half and inch give or take. I've read reviews on the BC coilovers that say they smooth the ride out a bit as well as reduce body roll.

OP
J
Thread Starter #8
Haha ya I've heard really good things. I just don't want to have these for a couple years and then be SOL. This car will be babied, but it still is a daily driver so I want something that is up to the task. I'm not worried about getting stuck or anything. Just worried of the coilovers dying on me. I could be over reacting, I've just never gone the coilover route on a car.

PCA-1

A couple of things comes to mind in your case. Strictly speaking about coilovers, if you drive in snow, and road salt is used, you can count on rust/corrosion. The main issue is with the height adjusters which tend to seize. This makes seasonal adjustments a difficult but attainable process. Like anything threaded, corrosion is not your friend.

The industry addresses corrosion in a few different ways. First off, most coilover bodies are aluminum or galvanized steel. Manufacturers use different treatments like anodizing and zinc plating to ward off rust. This works for a while, the length of which is determined by how much exposure to corrosive elements there is.
A more expensive option is KW Varient coilovers which feature off the shelf industry leading INOX stainless steel bodies. Check out the pic below:

The second thing is length of warranty and where the work is performed. Warranty is not an indicator or how well a coilover performs, so a 1 year warranty item may perform as well as an unlimited warranty. Having an extended warranty is good to have. Where the rebuilds are performed (in the USA or outside of) comes into play when shipping your coilovers. First is expense to ship. Second is length of time to receive your parts back.

A couple of things comes to mind in your case. Strictly speaking about coilovers, if you drive in snow, and road salt is used, you can count on rust/corrosion. The main issue is with the height adjusters which tend to seize. This makes seasonal adjustments a difficult but attainable process. Like anything threaded, corrosion is not your friend.

The industry addresses corrosion in a few different ways. First off, most coilover bodies are aluminum or galvanized steel. Manufacturers use different treatments like anodizing and zinc plating to ward off rust. This works for a while, the length of which is determined by how much exposure to corrosive elements there is.
A more expensive option is KW Varient coilovers which feature off the shelf industry leading INOX stainless steel bodies. Check out the pic below:

The second thing is length of warranty and where the work is performed. Warranty is not an indicator or how well a coilover performs, so a 1 year warranty item may perform as well as an unlimited warranty. Having an extended warranty is good to have. Where the rebuilds are performed (in the USA or outside of) comes into play when shipping your coilovers. First is expense to ship. Second is length of time to receive your parts back.
Did he have KW coilover for the Fiesta ST?

Nice look guys with your BC coilover!!

The BC coilover is a bolt on product for the Fiesta ST?

Is it a good product to resist to the corrosion in winter. Or you think after one winter is completly jamed? The advantage of the coilover is because it's possible to change the height for more lift for the winter and go drop for the summer.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Im new to BC but ive known about this brand since my honda days and heard good and bad things about them. More positive than negative tho. It seems BC has stepped up their quality in the passed couple of years. I read on a 370z forum that BC took over APEX shop with equipment in taiwan bit dont quote me on that. All I can sayis sofar I love the ride on my ST now for the type of road conditions I drive on. My car lost a bit of that quick stearing response in result of it because I have mine set on 10 out of 30 clicks from soft but its worth the trade of for me. As for rust and corrosion...I will have to just go through the experience next winter.