Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Bad Day for my FIST

So had a really bad day today on my way home from work. I was extremely exhausted(i work outside in florida) and i will say for whatever reason i do sometimes accidentally shift from second to first, but i have always caught myself. but today as i was merging onto the highway and accelerating kinda heavy. i went from second to first and let the clutch out completely. the car jolted forward, engine over revved. and immediately after i started hearing a whining noise that increases with speed coming from the tranny. The gears all shift fine, theres no grinding, its just at speed under throttle you can hear the noise. So i flashed my car back to stock tune, took the boomba motor mount off, and im gonna take the BOV spacer off. only other mod i have is a drop in filter, and a cobb catback. Im hoping they will warranty the transmission for me. WISH ME LUCK.

Good luck with that, and my sympathy, but that was your fault and they'll probably say that. Great if you get away with it. You say that this isn't the first time you have inadvertently shifted from second to first - is this your first car with a manual box?

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I'm sure they will take care of it. Just say hey my car is making nosie the end.
I would suggest if this is a issue for you going from 2nd to 4th.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
P
Thread Starter #4
Good luck with that, and my sympathy, but that was your fault and they'll probably say that. Great if you get away with it. You say that this isn't the first time you have inadvertently shifted from second to first - is this your first car with a manual box?
Allow me to rephrase that, so i just seem to find it very easy for the shifter to find its way into the 1 slot instead of 3 when coming out of second. i've driven manual my whole life. most of the time it when it happens i realize it and its a non issue i just readjust it into 3rd. i just was not paying attention today.

Mine whines under load and increases with speed too. Similar situation. I've brought it in twice now and ford said thats "normal". Good luck, heres hoping theyre willing to take care of it for you

Possible the clutch overspeeds and is damaged... that can happen even without letting the clutch out going into first.

SrsBsns

That's a bummer but it sounds like it could have been worse. A long time ago, I was playing on the highway with a friend and shifted from the top of 3rd down into 2nd in my E36 M3. Money $hift. Boom.

Since then, I've practiced better fundamentals when shifting. From 2nd to 3rd, I always use the base of my palm and push straight forward. I don't grip the knob anymore.

Here's a good short read on the topic:

http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/articles/shifting_technique.htm

Little things like this can prevent big things like over revving from taking place.

I hope the dealership can take care of it for you.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I agree the shifting is a bit ambiguous in this car. I've never had an issue in any other car. I don't powershift but 5th back to 4th never feels right.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk