Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Beginner wanting to track, help Tow points helmet ect?

I want to go to a few track days in California,
Adams motorsports is the local track.

Bucket list is to race
Willow Springs and Laguna Seca

Besides occasionally going to the Canyons, have no experience and do not know anyone that have tracked their car.

Guess my first step is passing tech.
What is everyone doing for tow points?
I see pierce had a good solid front kit.
I don't see any clear solution for the rear,
I see the tow points that mount on the lower shock bolt but hear it's hit and miss in some tracks?
Anyone had any experience.

Also planning to purchace the cheap open face helmet that has snell approval for a 3 tracks, any reason to get full face visor helmet?

Thanks for the help.

Do the track days you're looking at require tow points? Asking because the couple I've done did not require them.

Two reasons I can think of to get a full face helmet: 1) if you see yourself doing wheel to wheel racing at some point, 2) if you ever want to drive go carts

Erick_V

Other members and myself have used these for the rear tow points, they’re for an E36 but they work fine for us.

https://www.garagistic.com/products...Xi-3mKIkajOtUg0fCI3pi7QBJWGKUbY0aAplpEALw_wcB

You can undo the nut for the rear shock and then put it between the bolt and the chassis. Pierce motorsports makes a front tow hook that is reasonably priced too.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I want to go to a few track days in California,
Adams motorsports is the local track.

Bucket list is to race
Willow Springs and Laguna Seca

Besides occasionally going to the Canyons, have no experience and do not know anyone that have tracked their car.

Guess my first step is passing tech.
What is everyone doing for tow points?
I see pierce had a good solid front kit.
I don't see any clear solution for the rear,
I see the tow points that mount on the lower shock bolt but hear it's hit and miss in some tracks?
Anyone had any experience.

Also planning to purchace the cheap open face helmet that has snell approval for a 3 tracks, any reason to get full face visor helmet?

Thanks for the help.
Regarding tow hooks, the pierce is very nice, but a huge pain to install. I got pissed off after destroying two drill bits and ordered a TB performance crash bar and a tow strap. I think the pierce would also work on the rear crash bar but uncertain. I have the rear shock mounted hook but have only been to one track with it. They had no issue.

As for helmets, I prefer a full face helmet with no visor. It’s a matter of preference unless specific tracks have rules. Make sure it’s rated snell SA2020 or better. If you’re sticking to HPDE type events, open face should be totally fine.

I'm an HPDE instructor here in socal. I've attended Adams, Autoclub speedway (RIP) chuckwalla, horse thief mile, streets of willow, big willow and buttonwillow.
Most of the HPDE groups here in socal will not require you have a tow point on your car. The most important thing they will look for is an SA certified helmet. When buying one, get SA2020 or wait a little for the SA2025 helmets to start rolling out. SA2015 helmets will expire next year so if you see any for sale second hand double check this.
I recommend a full face helmet, If you or someone else goes off track you will get less dust and debris in your face.
MOST HPDE events here in socal are self tech, organizations like NASA and GRIDLIFE will be more strict on your cars condition and they will be checking things like your seat mounting, seat belt routing, battery tie downs, wheel bearings, etc.
I am a consistent instructor with Touge2track. We are dropping some tickets tomorrow for an event at buttonwillow. We are very beginner friendly and offer around 4-7 instructors per event.
I recommend you bring a jack, torque wrench for your lug nuts, zip ties, extra fluids, tire pressure gauge, bring food and water.
Your first track day ever will have a lot going on, do not neglect your body. also do not be intimidated by other drivers. There is a 99% chance someone in a miata or other slower car will be faster than you. No one starts as a pro, keep you eyes up and ahead, ears open and most importantly be safe.
If you have track specific questions or concerns. I'm more than happy to assist. I recommend streets of willow for your first event. There is a gas station, food, and autozone 10 mins away from the track as well as a motel that is under $100 a night. Most other socal tracks are farther away from these sorts of things. Streets of willow is also cheaper to attend than most other tracks.

OP
B
Thread Starter #6
I'm an HPDE instructor here in socal. I've attended Adams, Autoclub speedway (RIP) chuckwalla, horse thief mile, streets of willow, big willow and buttonwillow.
Most of the HPDE groups here in socal will not require you have a tow point on your car. The most important thing they will look for is an SA certified helmet. When buying one, get SA2020 or wait a little for the SA2025 helmets to start rolling out. SA2015 helmets will expire next year so if you see any for sale second hand double check this.
I recommend a full face helmet, If you or someone else goes off track you will get less dust and debris in your face.
MOST HPDE events here in socal are self tech, organizations like NASA and GRIDLIFE will be more strict on your cars condition and they will be checking things like your seat mounting, seat belt routing, battery tie downs, wheel bearings, etc.
I am a consistent instructor with Touge2track. We are dropping some tickets tomorrow for an event at buttonwillow. We are very beginner friendly and offer around 4-7 instructors per event.
I recommend you bring a jack, torque wrench for your lug nuts, zip ties, extra fluids, tire pressure gauge, bring food and water.
Your first track day ever will have a lot going on, do not neglect your body. also do not be intimidated by other drivers. There is a 99% chance someone in a miata or other slower car will be faster than you. No one starts as a pro, keep you eyes up and ahead, ears open and most importantly be safe.
If you have track specific questions or concerns. I'm more than happy to assist. I recommend streets of willow for your first event. There is a gas station, food, and autozone 10 mins away from the track as well as a motel that is under $100 a night. Most other socal tracks are farther away from these sorts of things. Streets of willow is also cheaper to attend than most other tracks.
Thank you, I have seen scca, adams, willow, require front and rear tow points according to their rules. But again I do not know anyone.

I purchased the rear shock tow points, actually arrived already,
Installing a front tow hook.
Been reaserching alot, will get a closed helmet,
Also may go to a SCCA event I like the fact that it can only hit cones for my first time out....I know it's not the same as a track but should be a good start. Especially since there is one in 3 weeks.
Will start getting a track box setup with a list so I know what to fill it with.

Last edited:
Adams and willow springs will accept "OEM" tow points. I've been told from the willow fire and rescue crew that the control arms and twist beam count as long as nothing is blocking the view. Proper tow points are always better for all parties tho. You are already a step ahead of me because I don't have any aftermarket tow points lol.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Regarding helmets, make sure you get an AUTO Racing Helmet.

Fire Test Rating:

Auto Racing Helmets: These helmets are required to pass fire testing because car drivers can get stuck in a burning car. The inside of these helmets has a Nomex lining, which is a fire-retardant material. The lining melts and acts as a barrier to keep flames out.
Motorcycle helmets, on the other hand, are covered with other types of nylons. Motorcyclists rarely get trapped on a bike or experience fires, so this level of fire protection isn’t necessary. Even if you do survive a fire, the nylons can stick to your face.

Most tracks will not allow a motorcycle helmet in cars.

Fire Test Rating:

Auto Racing Helmets: These helmets are required to pass fire testing because car drivers can get stuck in a burning car. The inside of these helmets has a Nomex lining, which is a fire-retardant material. The lining melts and acts as a barrier to keep flames out.
Motorcycle helmets, on the other hand, are covered with other types of nylons. Motorcyclists rarely get trapped on a bike or experience fires, so this level of fire protection isn’t necessary. Even if you do survive a fire, the nylons can stick to your face.

I can confirm this. I've seen multiple people get kicked out of tracking for the day due to helmets. The shape of a motorcycle helmet is pretty distinguishable as well. Most safety staff will spot it from far.

OP
B
Thread Starter #10

Fire Test Rating:

Great! I almost purchased a motorcycle one! Getting the basic about 230$ snell auto racing from Amazon. Swapping out all my fluids within the next few weeks too, coolant, oil, brake,clutch
trans.Will buy new set of front rotors and hawk 5.0 pads.... the current hawk set is about half way.. may change after the event.