Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Best and cost effective helmet?

Hello folks. I am thinking of going to a performance driving class at Sears Point in Northern California. Its a pretty basic one but they require a helmet. What is the most cost effective helmet out there? My only experience is Octane Academy which I did in 2015. It will probably be used once and I’d really like to see whether there are places that rent them out.

haste

1000 Post Club
Just get a cheap Bell or Scorpion. Also check which certifications the driving class requires. Not all helmets meet DOT and Snell requirements

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The Snell 2015 spec (since you don't care about future certification going forward) G-Force, Zamp, and RaceQuip brain buckets can all be had really cheap right now, due to the Snell 2020 spec ones just being released. [wink]

kevinatfms

Get a Snell 2020. Worth the investment now to be able to keep using it for longer than the 2015's. The 2020 models have just started entering the stores around me so they are available. I know you say it will be only once but like the rest of us track rat lunatics the first time is never the only time. You will be searching after for autocross, trackcross and HPDE events the minute you get home. Invest now and have fun for longer. Also, a proper fitting helmet is significantly more comfortable in the long run that one that doesnt fit properly because you get it cheap off the internet. Each have their own internal sizing, padding, strap and visor position so find one that fits your noggin the best. Dont be afraid to ask around for shops that will allow to you try on a few(i know the Rona has stopped this a bit).

Check OG Racing if in the DC/MD/NOVA area(they have an amazing showroom and customer service is the best ive ever experienced).

I bought my Bell M.8 helmet with 3 shields and they helped with fitting, cleaning it and installation of my visor of choice while i waited. Also assisted me in getting fitted for a new one piece race suit even though i told them i wasnt going to buy that day. They spent a good 3+ hours with my friend and I on a walk in without an appointment. When the time comes to replace my 2 piece suit ill definitely head back to OG Racing.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Kevin DOES have a point with the "Bet you can't eat just ONE" addiction thing as far as open tracking goes, and buying a helmet which can be used for MANY MANY years to come (for autocross as well as open tracking/time trials/etc.). [wink] [thumb]

I believe that there is a Wine Country Motorsports showroom not too far from Orange FiST (but not sure, how far is the Sonoma road course from Cotati??), and hopefully they would be as helpful as OG Racing in fitment/customer service. (I've purchased from them as well, and they ARE top notch! [:)])

When I wasn't sure about HPDE/racetrack driving, I used a Pyrotect. The internal cushioning wasn't the most comfortable, but I was told at some point the shells were just as good as Bell.