Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Best driving road the you've actually driven:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Speaking of 'rally support roads';

The roads to get out to the stages of BOTH STPR (Susquehannock Trails Performance Rally based out of Wellsboro, Pa,) AND especially NEFR (New England Forest Rally, based out of Newry/Bethel, Maine) are pretty amazing (albeit NOT as 'iconic' as all of the well known, and more heavily traffic laden routes mentioned here), and mostly devoid of traffic (and LEOs!!), except for rally crew/worker volume at the time of those rallies. [wink]

Last edited:

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Yeah, the rally support roads can be a lot of fun! There are a few that I was on for the Sno*Drift that were just amazing. Snow/ice packed, lots of corners, elevation changes, and good challenges. They are challenging at 30mph! I can only imagine how they are at competition speeds.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yeah, the rally support roads can be a lot of fun! There are a few that I was on for the Sno*Drift that were just amazing. Snow/ice packed, lots of corners, elevation changes, and good challenges. They are challenging at 30mph! I can only imagine how they are at competition speeds.
I am speaking of the PAVED 'transit' roads leading to the gravel stage roads, let alone blasting down the gravel stage roads themselves. ;)

Does Sno*Drift, or LSPR use TARMAC roads for the actual competitive special stages, like some of the PAC/mountain western rallies do?

Speaking of 'rally support roads';

The roads to get out to the stages of BOTH STPR (Susquehannock Trails Performance Rally based out of Wellsboro, Pa,) AND especially NEFR (New England Forest Rally, based out of Newry/Bethel, Main) are pretty amazing (albeit NOT as 'iconic' as all of the well known, and more heavily traffic laden routes mentioned here), and mostly devoid of traffic (and LEOs!!), except for rally crew/worker volume at the time of those rallies. [wink]
I took a look at STPR and NEFR rally circuits. I found both interesting and fast.
I've tested my FiST in a closed road (our roads are very narrow) and in an open road. Both of them were on tarmac,and the maximum speed in the stright points has been around 98 mph.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zadWSIDRFxw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ltp_92F3Bs

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I am speaking of the PAVED 'transit' roads leading to the gravel stage roads, let alone blasting down the gravel stage roads themselves. ;)

Does Sno*Drift, or LSPR use TARMAC roads for the actual competitive special stages, like some of the PAC/mountain western rallies do?
LSPR was using Mount Brockway, but not sure if that is still being used. Mount Brockway was a paved stage that was open to spectators back in the day. I was in Sport Compact Car magazine years ago when spectating on Mount Brockway. Cars would jump in the air at the mountain crest, where the spectators were, and then had to get hard on the brakes for a downhill right turn. The Sno*Drift stages are all off-road from what I remember.

joesiris

ch5.jpg

geer hgwy, though short at about 4 and a half miles, leads to ceasers head state park is a really curvy fun road. on the way up your right up against the drop off and the way down you hug the mountain...took my 13 year and he bout pooped himself

dmb

I took a look at STPR and NEFR rally circuits. I found both interesting and fast.
I've tested my FiST in a closed road (our roads are very narrow) and in an open road. Both of them were on tarmac,and the maximum speed in the stright points has been around 98 mph.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zadWSIDRFxw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ltp_92F3Bs
Tight roads mean tight lines= better driver, but we all knew that.

OP
IronMaiden
Thread Starter #29
Ca hwy 2 above L.A. is a nice drive, problem is getting to and fro through L.A. traffic.
True that. Although, the wife and I just did Hwy 2 today. We both had the day off. We just jumped on the 15 North for about 10 minutes and got on the 2 westbound heading up the mountain right around noon. We drove it all the way to Glendale. We did have to take Upper Big Tujunga Cyn Rd. to bypass a section that is going to be closed until 2020, but none the less, hook back up with the 2 later and dumped us out in Glendale. Really good fun. 50% of the traffic was motorcycles. Saw a FoST having fun and a Cooper S that was moving. There's a great tunnel section about 20 minutes west of Wrightwood. The turbo spool up and blow off sounded great in them. I wanted to get video/audio but the wife just took pics. I was having too much fun.

Route 555 (also known as the Triple Nickel) in Southeast Ohio. It has a higher speed limit than Skyline Drive, has way fewer law enforcement than the Tail of the Dragon, and at least 36 miles of the road driving south to north will take your breath away with the curves and elevation changes.

dmb

True that. Although, the wife and I just did Hwy 2 today. We both had the day off. We just jumped on the 15 North for about 10 minutes and got on the 2 westbound heading up the mountain right around noon. We drove it all the way to Glendale. We did have to take Upper Big Tujunga Cyn Rd. to bypass a section that is going to be closed until 2020, but none the less, hook back up with the 2 later and dumped us out in Glendale. Really good fun. 50% of the traffic was motorcycles. Saw a FoST having fun and a Cooper S that was moving. There's a great tunnel section about 20 minutes west of Wrightwood. The turbo spool up and blow off sounded great in them. I wanted to get video/audio but the wife just took pics. I was having too much fun.

about 40 years I took a brand new Freightliner truck and a 45 foot trailer up their in the snow for some pictures what a blast C.H.P. front and back on a week day. Back then their was no one to be seen. You would be surprised how fast a empty trailer with a 400 hp diesel could go on them roads no ice just white everywhere. 2 days of fun and they payed me real good. ah the good old days in so cal.

about 40 years I took a brand new Freightliner truck and a 45 foot trailer up their in the snow for some pictures what a blast C.H.P. front and back on a week day. Back then their was no one to be seen. You would be surprised how fast a empty trailer with a 400 hp diesel could go on them roads no ice just white everywhere. 2 days of fun and they payed me real good. ah the good old days in so cal.
I think so...A truck without trailer (Or with an empty one) can be very fast...[thumb]

Last edited:

dmb

this had a bc [big cam] 400 cummins with a 13 speed. new off the lot. I had a friend that had a peterbilt 379 long nose with a 12v71 detroit diesel [NASA used these to move the saturn V rockets] you could drift in that truck i'm not kidding, break the tires loose at 60 mph problem was you could burn the tires up going over the grapevine if you didn't watch out.

OP
IronMaiden
Thread Starter #34
Just last week I drove another road in the San Gabriel Mountain range. Glendora Ridge Road.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/G...b624340274af3!8m2!3d34.2239625!4d-117.7331778

It's a bit hairier than the 22 in that there are no median lines to separate traffic, and it's about 2/3 as wide as you would want it to be for a two-lane road. There are also no guard rails to speak of, just a 1 foot tall burm in a few places. Some sheer drops in a few straights and corners. There are some turn off areas from time to time, as well. No one was going in the same direction as we were (east to west), but many cars going the other direction. counted around 15. I think it was all people like us, just out for a good vigorous drive. Four Subaru WRX STI, three Mini Coopers, two late model Vettes, and a black Volkswagen GTI....and Yes, you can sing that to the 12 days of Christmas if you would like.

Last edited:
Just last week I drove another road in the San Gabriel Mountain range. Glendora Ridge Road.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Glendora+Ridge+Rd,+California/@34.1835052,-117.7880223,13z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x80c33b4c7d7ca10f:0xc09b624340274af3!8m2!3d34.2239625!4d-117.7331778

It's a bit hairier than the 22 in that there are no median lines to separate traffic, and it's about 2/3 as wide as you would want it to be for a two-lane road. There are also no guard rails to speak of, just a 1 foot tall burm in a few places. Some sheer drops in a few straights and corners. There are some turn off areas from time to time, as well. No one was going in the same direction as we were (east to west), but many cars going the other direction. counted around 15. I think it was all people like us, just out for a good vigorous drive. Four Subaru WRX STI, three Mini Coopers, two a late model Vettes, and a black Volkswagen GTI....and Yes, you can sing that to the 12 days of Christmas if you would like.

These are the roads that I Loooove!.....[thumb]