Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Best FREE & Budget Fiesta ST Mods for Maximum Power on The Cheap

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Just did mine and promptly drove through a rainstorm. Water all over the snorkel and cut out area. Terrifed of injesting water. Thinking of hydrosock stuck to the inside of intake box with self tapping screws. Anyone worried about hydrolocking or other water related issues?
Interesting....Did water make it back to the filter or just misted over the snorkel?

We get 2" of rain a year...so not much concern for me...however folks in rainy climates may want to reconsider....

Interesting....Did water make it back to the filter or just misted over the snorkel?

We get 2" of rain a year...so not much concern for me...however folks in rainy climates may want to reconsider....
Not sure how much got in yet. Just noticed it when i looked into the grill when i got to the bar last night. Cut out area and snorkel were wet as far as i could see into it given the fading light. Its raining again todag so im gonna get some food for myself and food for the FiST, then open the intake box and see whats what.

Yea...we get a lot more rain than you. But you have droughts, fires, earthquakes, horrible traffic, hippies, and CARB laws to deal with...i have none of those lol!

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Yea...we get a lot more rain than you. But you have droughts, fires, earthquakes, horrible traffic, hippies, and CARB laws to deal with...i have none of those lol!
yeah...360 days of sunny warm dry weather sucks...And I live in the Coachella Valley (Palm Springs area) no traffic - that's LA and the SF Bay area your thinking of....and what's a CARB law (LOL)..

But you still have snow, rain, floods, tornando's, potholes, and hyper conservatives...haha! :)

I think I'll stay here...wait!...was that just an earthquake we had? :)

ok.....back on topic...

OP
BlueBomber

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #44
well it poured here and i'm still ok, but if you're concerned it would be easy to order a $10 Hydroshield from Injen or like... idk Pantyhose or something fine to throw on there to grab the mist.

But yeah like I said in the piece if you live somewhere super rainy like Portland mayyyybe reconsider but if you just get the occasional rain i wouldn't worry

dyn085

2000 Post Club
What about that steeda scoop for the fost? think that could be made to work?
The scoop for the FoST attaches to the radiator support. If you were to try to make that work with the FiST you would have to cut it in half (ish) and find a way to attach it to the ducted hole. A very expensive piece that you would end up throwing part of away, for no real benefit at all.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
3" Intake Ram Air Duct Installed (DIY)

[MENTION=62]Sekred[/MENTION] [MENTION=282]BlueBomber[/MENTION]

Thanks for the discussion, ideas, and inspiration....

As you can see this mod does show some notable improvements made towards reduction in intake temps particularly seen during extended idle (temp soak) and at hwy cruising speeds...

Ram Air Duct 1a.jpg

Ram Air Duct With Foam Insulation.jpg

Ram Air Duct 2.jpg

Ram Air Duct 3.jpg

Ram Air Duct 4a.jpg

Summarized results (below) of snorkel evaluation based on before and after comparisons of "Ambient" / "Intake" / "Charge" temps logged during a 20 min idle soak:

Snorkel Extention Evaluation - 20 min idle temp soak test.jpg

I have to ask (again), and I mean it in all sincerity. Why doesn't ford add this obvious and beneficial snorkel to the FiST? It's one thing to add an aftermarket exhaust or turbo upgrade which is a larger cost. But, why does the after market have produce such a simple tweak that results in an obvious improvement on air intake temps? The SVT/ST team are brilliant, what am I missing?

koozy

3000 Post Club
I have to ask (again), and I mean it in all sincerity. Why doesn't ford add this obvious and beneficial snorkel to the FiST? It's one thing to add an aftermarket exhaust or turbo upgrade which is a larger cost. But, why does the after market have produce such a simple tweak that results in an obvious improvement on air intake temps? The SVT/ST team are brilliant, what am I missing?
Because it's not worth it for a global vehicle. Rain and snow could introduce issues, claims, reduce air filter service life, etc. There are some things that manufacturers intentionally leave out when the global market is taken into perspective. Personally the gains aren't worth it for me.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
The automotive industry tends to design to extremely conservative guidelines in order to adequately cover a very broad range of both performance needs and environmental conditions..

[HR][/HR]
I personally live in a very dry and warm climate (particularly during our summer months here) and as such even a 5~7 degree improvement in intake air temps is very much appreciated considering it only cost ~$7.00... On a side note I find there are some that just focus on absolute hp gains achieved for each little mod made and are not as concerned with improving overall system efficiencies which eventually do add up to improved overall performance...

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Looks great!

I idea to make it ven better, get a sheet of ABS plastic and heat with a heat gun to mold it to blow the air directly into the factory inlet, with a bit of care if could be sealed up pretty well to be better yet.