Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Best headlight bulbs?

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
So it's coming about that time in my cars life for its first headlight bulb swap. I'm looking to see if anyone has a recommendation for a really good bulb, I need something a lot brighter than stock. The stock lights really suck. It's illegal in va to modify to led or hid. So it's gotta be a stock fitting halogen bulb but with a higher output. Anyone got anything?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
Probably not the best by any means but I had a low beam go out on my Focus, grabbed mid tier sylvania silverstar from autozone. About 33 bucks for two bulbs. They are cooler white and do give a bit more visibility. They had a top tier sylvania for about 54 bucks a pack (2). They are probably brighter. I guess even a small upgrade is a noticeable difference in my experience.

I'm sure there are higher output boutique halogens out there if you want to spend a little more dough.

So it's coming about that time in my cars life for its first headlight bulb swap. I'm looking to see if anyone has a recommendation for a really good bulb, I need something a lot brighter than stock. The stock lights really suck. It's illegal in va to modify to led or hid. So it's gotta be a stock fitting halogen bulb but with a higher output. Anyone got anything?

There's an extensive discussion on the topic of "brighter" in the LED replacement thread, but the tl;dr is: brighter only gets you so far. The fact is the OEM reflector housings suck (as most do), so they can only take so much brightness before they become dangerous to other drivers around you. That said, the aforementioned Sylvania options are usually a safe bet. The LED thread has a few options as well.

If you're doing a lot of driving on back roads with little light and traffic, I'd look at auxiliary lighting options instead.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Probably not the best by any means but I had a low beam go out on my Focus, grabbed mid tier sylvania silverstar from autozone. About 33 bucks for two bulbs. They are cooler white and do give a bit more visibility. They had a top tier sylvania for about 54 bucks a pack (2). They are probably brighter. I guess even a small upgrade is a noticeable difference in my experience.

I'm sure there are higher output boutique halogens out there if you want to spend a little more dough.
Thanks. I'll try to give sylvanias a shot. I remember having them on my prelude back in 2014 and I never had a problem. If anyone else has anything I'll consider recommendations as well. Just trying to get the best I can within va rediculous "safety laws". Ironically, I feel I'm a more dangerous driver with the oem bulbs cuz in some places on base where it's pitch black I can't even see the lines in the road.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I collected $60 from Sylvania in the previous false claims law suit against them. The newer bulbs, Ultras's now have independent testing that shows actual improvements.(above 25%) I'll give them some of their money back. (actually all of it as the H1 and H11 combined are about $60 online)

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I have cougar x-small LEDs. They reflect better than most LEDs I've tried but they definitely reflect worse than halogens.

GTR's new minis might be worth a shot. I have their full size gen 3 in wife's rogue and they're excellent in every way.

One day I'll stop being lazy and install the morimoto HID kit I have lying around but that day hasn't come in the last 6 months since I got it. I hate doing anything electronic.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Rocketst would have to swap out the LEDs everyone is suggesting (even if they do work!) for halogens at every single inspection, which yeah, does not seem like any hassle at all.
But what about the cops looking for ANY reason at all to pull someone over, all of the rest of the time?!? [dunno]

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
Rocketst would have to swap out the LEDs everyone is suggesting (even if they do work!) for halogens at every single inspection, which yeah, does not seem like any hassle at all.
But what about the cops looking for ANY reason at all to pull someone over, all of the rest of the time?!? [dunno]
This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid everyone. The cops notice my car cuz it's a borderline built race car and sounds the part so I'm always looking to go the legal route. I even made a special downpipe for my car myself so it would pass inspections.

Hi guys. Any one no if stronger halogens can actually melt the housing. I am considering an upgrade but don't want to damage anything

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Sam4

I always remind folks that the high beams are available in 100W (H1) for dirt $$. Just saying. The lows are improved by what ever flavor you like, but they're far from fixed. I think I have Philips Crystal Vision Plats in there.