Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Best Replacement Tire

Planning on taking my 2016 ST in to get a tire replaced. Is there a specific tire I should ask them about or any I should avoid? Any recommendations? Or will any comparable tire the tire shop recommends work? I currently have stock tires.

Ideally you should replace with the same tire you currently have.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
For comparison shopping, Tirerack.com is one of your best bets.

Whenever you are replacing only 1 tire, you should always replace it with an identical tire. If you want to go with a different make/model of tire, you should at a minimum replace 2 tires, and have the matching tires on the fronts / backs (not left / right).

I too have Firestone Firehawk Indy500's. I neither like nor dislike them and feel like they are too much of a downgrade over the stock Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's. I think next time I will try some Continental ExtremeContact Sports.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
For comparison shopping, Tirerack.com is one of your best bets.

Whenever you are replacing only 1 tire, you should always replace it with an identical tire. If you want to go with a different make/model of tire, you should at a minimum replace 2 tires, and have the matching tires on the fronts / backs (not left / right).

I too have Firestone Firehawk Indy500's. I neither like nor dislike them and feel like they are too much of a downgrade over the stock Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's. I think next time I will try some Continental ExtremeContact Sports.
I used to run Continental DW tires and loved them. A good aggressive summer tire with decent tread wear. I plan on running something similar that will fit the stock wheels as you mention the extreme contact sports.

Waterfan

I've used BFG SC2 and currently on BS RE760 (FS Indy500s are somehow impossible to get near me).

RE760 on rebate cost me the same as BFG SC2 and are significantly better in every way. I got my FiST used so I can't compare RE760 205/45-16 to RE050 205/40-17.

If I still can't source 500s, I'll happily get 760's on rebate again.

SST

i too got my Fiest used, and never try the RE050A, anyone can give a benchmark comparable tire?

Mikey456

i too got my Fiest used, and never try the RE050A, anyone can give a benchmark comparable tire?
I just got the Falken 615k+ installed. I really liked OEM bridgestones but I got tired of the price changes from tire rack and the Falkens were a more reasonable $140 They ranged from $160-200 on the high and they lasted about 20k for me before starting to get bald. I did some short spirited driving and I think if I rated the OEM tires a 10, I would rate these tires a 9.5 for performance. I feel that the falken tire grip level is about the same as the OEM. I think the slight difference is in tire wall stiffness... just a little bit more roll before sticking. I think they ride a little better too, but my OEMs were very worn out when I replaced them. Overall I’m happy with them. Let’s see how long they last???

Mikey456

I broke in my tires a little more and it seems the turn-in is better. I’m happy with the tire overall. I just do not know how long they will last... but they will be more affordable to replace.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I've had the Bridgestones (like), Pirelli PZero's (so-so) and now on my second set of Riken's from Tire Rack. They were on sale for $276 for a set, delivered to my door, so I bought 2 sets! Get about 20,000 on each set. Had Falken's on my previous car, a Focus and wore them out in no time. Ended up with bald patches with NO emergency stops or racing and Falken poo-poo'd me and didn't even want to see them or find out what the problem was. I'll never touch them again!

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Ive found the 615k+ to be a way more aggressive tire than the factory re50A. But i really love the dry grip. Still have to be careful in the rain. I wonder how the continental tires run in wet weather? I may be changing wheel size here so my milage and prices are gonna change.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Ive found the 615k+ to be a way more aggressive tire than the factory re50A. But i really love the dry grip. Still have to be careful in the rain. I wonder how the continental tires run in wet weather? I may be changing wheel size here so my milage and prices are gonna change.
I know folks who use the continental ecs’s as their wet autox tire. I am wishing I bought a set.

In my opinion best E-something - i mean homolagated for road use - tyre you can have.
Especially in changing conditions - wet/dry/damp - are the above Bridges awesome.
They give you always perfect information what happens.

Mikey456

This thread has not been updated lately so I checked Tire Rack about options regarding OEM replacement tires for our car. The Bridgestone OEM tires don’t seem to be available anymore. I’m looking at the options beside the common Indy 500 replacement since my Falken 615K seem to be wearing quickly. [I don’t think I can do much beyond 10k on this tires] They are sticky and great but unfortunately wear out quickly too. Anyone try the Pirelli PZero Nero? They seem to have a slightly tread wear count 220. There is also a tire from Yokohama called the Bluearth-A AE50. Anybody try these tires? I’m looking at staying with the OEM 17inch. I still have a while to go but thinking about options including just staying with the Falkens for performance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
This thread has not been updated lately so I checked Tire Rack about options regarding OEM replacement tires for our car. The Bridgestone OEM tires don’t seem to be available anymore.
I also checked with Tire Rack a while back because I hadn't seen the OEM Bridgestone tires on their site for a while. I am also sticking with OEM size. I called Tire Rack and they told me they hoped to get them back at some point. I also called Bridgestone, and they said you can special order them at Firestone dealers, I believe Bridgestone and Firestone merged a while back. I called the local Firestone dealer, and they quoted me a crazy high price, $1,373 for a set of 4 OEM Bridgestone Potenzas mounted and balanced, versus $582 for a set of four Firestone Indy 500s.
I'm hoping the Bridgestone Potenzas come back in at Tire Rack at a more reasonable price.
I currently have the Firestone Indy 500s, and I like them, but they do give up a little bit up the quick and agile turn in of the OEM Bridgestones, so I have been thinking about going back to those just to get that last little bit of performance next time I need tires, but not if it costs $800 more for a set of four. The small increase in performance would clearly not be worth the huge increase in price to me.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You cannot get them from TR, but there is also the Nitto Neo Gen, reasonably priced, decent grip, they seem to wear better than their 280 tread wear would indicate, and they run wide for any given size.

They ARE all season/M+S rated though, so maybe not so good for SoCal??

Mikey456

I read that the Pirelli P zeros were OEM tires on the Fiat Abarth.When I was growing up Pirelli tires were some of the best tires you could get for a performance car. I don’t think that’s the case anymore, but being OEM on a the Fiat Abarth makes me believe that they cannot be too bad as a summer performance tire.

2017 Ford Fiesta ST, Shadow Black, Recaro seats, Mountune RMM, Swift springs, 5mm rear spacers, Falken 615+ tires