Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Best rotor pad combo for daily driver in really hot climate.

ronmcdon

well 'trying' and failing is maybe more accurate. I don't want to think about how much ive already spent on parts haha. do hope to keep the car stock as far as making power and just do a lot of cooling and suspension.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
Heh, have fun with that. The thing about this car is while its great stock it tends to suck you in mod wise. I did way more mods than I ever intended to a purchased new car. I am actually not bummed about it because for the 5-6K I have dumped in it I have an absolutely silly amazing car that would be hard to duplicate for the cost. His brake recommendations are great for a stock turbo car with a tune .
I just picked up upgraded rotors and pads because of the power I am putting out now. The car is a blast now literally.
Time to start scouting another RWD car lol.
Exactly! This is why I kept the car stock except for a cob rmm. I have plenty of experience with a WRX I bought new and said to myself, I'm just going to do a little modding no big deal.... Before you know it, you're deep into it and there's no turning back.

I actually appreciate this car being stock. I understand it's capable of much more. I'm okay with leaving that on the table. I've learned to appreciate what I have. This car is plenty capable bone stock, imo. Also keeps me from getting into trouble with my license [emoji106]

Dpro

6000 Post Club
well 'trying' and failing is maybe more accurate. I don't want to think about how much ive already spent on parts haha. do hope to keep the car stock as far as making power and just do a lot of cooling and suspension.
I got hit by the power bug when I ran with friends who had hybrids or big turbo’s. I am competitive by nature. I could hold them in the corners but get them on the straights and they just got up and walked on me. That was not acceptable.:ROFLMAO:
I mean to me tunes and bolt ons where not a big deal. Coming from owning a BMW and experiencing what a plastic end tank radiator can do under failure the minute I saw our cars had plastic endtank wimpy radiators a upgrade was like a must. That was just for the sake of my own piece of mind. Plus we are in SoCal and any spirited driving in the summertime while running air pushes temps hard with stock radiators.
As far as the other things it was ok lets do a tune replace the intercooler as those are not big ticket items in my book. Exhaust because I wanted too nothing more nothing less.
Suspension, well stock is good a bit rough ride though. This is the first car I have encountered where putting coilover‘s on actually made it ride better.:ROFLMAO:
I do not regret any of it because the car has retained it‘s daily driver ability... Of course this big turbo upgrade is turning out interesting.
I have to ask my tuner but it seems he tuned it boost by gear, which definitely helps retain driving it sanely.:ROFLMAO:
Though I absolutely do love it.

ronmcdon

for hot weather grocery getting, I get the sense at minimal it's worthwhile to get radiator, 180 degree thermostat, dot 4 brake fluid. my guess is heat soak is not so horrible that fmic is needed when taking a leisurely jaunt to the farmers market.

agreed radiator is a necessity. was going to get a moutune but heard it's so far back in stock right now that orders may not come in until early Jan.

Anybody try the Z26 Street Warrior Performance Kit made by Powerstop on rockauto? Just curious because you can get a full kit front and rear slotted and drilled for $270. When compared to a full EBC Yellow stuff with rotors for $670 sounds like $270 is a steal.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Anybody try the Z26 Street Warrior Performance Kit made by Powerstop on rockauto? Just curious because you can get a full kit front and rear slotted and drilled for $270. When compared to a full EBC Yellow stuff with rotors for $670 sounds like $270 is a steal.
There is a reason that they are $270. Stock Brakes are very good and EBCs are a nice upgrade also and the quality is there along with the Help if you encounter warranty issues. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

There is a reason that they are $270. Stock Brakes are very good and EBCs are a nice upgrade also and the quality is there along with the Help if you encounter warranty issues. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Oh ik i just find it funny how the cheap ones have a 3 year warranty and ebc only has a 1 year 10000 mile.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I have a lot of experience with powerstop pads they're not bad they just do not have good brake pedal feel. I have never installed the Z26 pads but I have the Z16 and Z23.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Erick_V

I’ve tried a couple different front pads and I recently just went back to OEM Pads/Centric Rotors, they may dust like crazy but the pedal feel is right for this car IMO. Plus they’re cheap. I think I paid like $180 shipped from Rockauto for the fronts

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
I bought Powerstop Track Day rotors and pads for front and back. Did I fall for the name? Probably. We'll see how they actually do.

CSM

1000 Post Club
I bought Powerstop Track Day rotors and pads for front and back. Did I fall for the name? Probably. We'll see how they actually do.
I ran the PowerStop Track day kit with rotors and pads all last season in my scion. They are surprisingly good. I was pleasantly surprised. They don't really dust much until you drive them aggressively and they have a good pedal feel. My only gripe is that the rotors rusted really fast.

I've since "upgraded" to centric blanks and Ferodo pads. Haven't competed with these yet

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
I ran the PowerStop Track day kit with rotors and pads all last season in my scion. They are surprisingly good. I was pleasantly surprised. They don't really dust much until you drive them aggressively and they have a good pedal feel. My only gripe is that the rotors rusted really fast.

I've since "upgraded" to centric blanks and Ferodo pads. Haven't competed with these yet
Did you use them in the street at all? If so, how were they?

ronmcdon

whats the advantage of getting aftermarket rotors for otherwise stock brakes in the first place? Is this for looks?

a 2 piece rotor with less unsprung weight I guess makes some sense, but not like there's that option outside of a big break kit. (that Im aware of anyways)

CSM

1000 Post Club
Did you use them in the street at all? If so, how were they?
Oh yeah, daily drove them. They were just fine. Less dusty than OEM Fiesta ST "S" pads, and not really that noisy for track pads. Come up to temp pretty quickly. In fact my Fiesta ST OEM Pads are noisier in cold temps. I remember first installing them and they were a little squeaky, but a light coat of brake grease on the back of the pads (where they contact the caliper) fixed it. Nothing unusual

CSM

1000 Post Club
whats the advantage of getting aftermarket rotors for otherwise stock brakes in the first place? Is this for looks?

a 2 piece rotor with less unsprung weight I guess makes some sense, but not like there's that option outside of a big break kit. (that Im aware of anyways)
I dont buy cross drilled or slotted rotors, just blanks from Centric usually.

I dont see any reason for getting anything other than blanks if you're just on OEM calipers.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Oh yeah, daily drove them. They were just fine. Less dusty than OEM Fiesta ST "S" pads, and not really that noisy for track pads. Come up to temp pretty quickly. In fact my Fiesta ST OEM Pads are noisier in cold temps. I remember first installing them and they were a little squeaky, but a light coat of brake grease on the back of the pads (where they contact the caliper) fixed it. Nothing unusual
Does Ferodo make more than ONE compound to fit our factory calipers (i.e.; a 'high performance street' compound), or just a full-on track compound?? [dunno]

CSM

1000 Post Club
Does Ferodo make more than ONE compound to fit our factory calipers (i.e.; a 'high performance street' compound), or just a full-on track compound?? [dunno]
Not sure. I have the DS2500 on my scion and they are really good. Supposedly really good dual purpose street/track pad, able to handle short sessions without overheating. Most of my friends autocrossing in this area run these pads if they're available

kevinatfms

If anyone is curious why the OE "S" pads are so good - look at the coefficient of friction label stamped on the pad. Its a two letter designation for the pad compound which denotes it CF rating at 250F and 600F and is listed as a two letter denomination.

Our stock "S" pads are semi-metallic and hold a GG rating which means it has a coefficeint of friction rating of .45-.54 at 250F and at 600F which shows it has big inital bite along with the heat tolerance to to hold its coefficient of friction rating at 600F.

A breakdown of the types of pads and their coefficient rating as tested by the DOT.
http://faculty.ccbcmd.edu/~smacadof/DOTPadCodes.htm

Alot of the aftermarket pads like the Powerstop Z26 pads only carry an FF rating which denotes it actually has a lower coefficient of friction rating at both 250F and 600F. Some are equal with a GG stamp while others can exceed it(Powerstop PST pads are GH rated). Even a pad rated at GG may have a lower CF rating(there is a large margin between .45 and .55) so not all GG rated pads are equal to the OE CF rating.

So, its very important to see what the pads offer as far as the CF rating stamped on the pad. At minimum match what came with the vehicle and in certain scenarios you want to exceed that rating(track pads). Please note some track only pads do not carry the DOT CF rating as they are sold as track use only(and thus are not OK for street driving at all).