Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Best way to get better airflow using stock airbox & K&N panel?

I'm tuned, E30, with an upgraded FMIC (brand doesn't matter). The stock airbox, I'm told, doesn't need changed for stock turbo E30 power levels. And I don't want any turbo noises, I like being quiet and stealthy. What can I do to get better airflow, keeping the stock box, that gives me real gains. I'm asking because this car doesn't seem to recover from IAT heat soak very well, and I can't help but wonder if its a bit restricted still. I had the noseclip off to install the FMIC, didn't modify anything else at that time. Anybody do anything like drilling a few large holes in the bottom of the airbox or any other cheap, easy to do mods that ended up helping? Any advice, especially free to do stuff, would be greatly appreciated!

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Open a hole at the bottom of the stock air box to actually get air from the bottom )a few thread are on this topic). Mimics the st200 box and the Mountune air box without the expense . Add a vellosa tech big mouth to funnel more air into the box at speeds. Heat wrap to prevent engine heat from heating intake.

Now there is a resonator on the charge pipe that is somewhat restrictive that can be removed (not seen from the top) but at that point might as well replace all the induction hoses as each will be just a little improvement but all done does somewhat add up. However you will get more turbo spool sound.

OP
1MEAN18
Thread Starter #4
Open a hole at the bottom of the stock air box to actually get air from the bottom )a few thread are on this topic). Mimics the st200 box and the Mountune air box without the expense . Add a vellosa tech big mouth to funnel more air into the box at speeds. Heat wrap to prevent engine heat from heating intake.

Now there is a resonator on the charge pipe that is somewhat restrictive that can be removed (not seen from the top) but at that point might as well replace all the induction hoses as each will be just a little improvement but all done does somewhat add up. However you will get more turbo spool sound.

Thanks for the quick reply! I like where you are going, DIY stuff to save money is my game too. I've searched but haven't found stock box mod, but I still think I catch the drift and can do it easily without instruction. As of now, VT can't confirm the Big Mouth actually fits an '18, they asked me to drop by to see for sure, but I live in Ohio so that isn't happening. LOL. Do you know of any '18's that actually has a Big Mouth? If so, it appears to be worth buying. Also, you mention charge pipe restriction, a resonator on it, you are talking about the cold side? Because I don't remember, when I was under the car last time, any resonator on the cold side piping.

Mikey456

I already opened up the bottom of my air box. My next step is a hi flow filter and mTune. Hopefully, that’s enough air volume because I want the car to look visually stock. I’m not ready to drop $250 for the st200 yet...lol

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
I pulled out my stock airbox this past weekend and noticed a few good spots to take a hole saw and make a DIY ST200 airbox.

I need to source a 3" flex tube to attach to the airbox.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I pulled out my stock airbox this past weekend and noticed a few good spots to take a hole saw and make a DIY ST200 airbox.

I need to source a 3" flex tube to attach to the airbox.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
What I used to do, back in the day, was go find some press-in plugs at home depot, etc. in whatever sized I wanted holes. I can drill the holes with a hole saw, then if I change my mind I can pop the press-in plugs into the hole. I tended to go get the plugs *before* drilling the holes because if I did it after I could never find the right size :D

Last edited:

Mikey456

As I remember when I cut the hole it was 2.5 inches or 2.25 but i was a little off and mucked it up a little. If I did it again I would start with a smaller hole and file how much I wanted off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
1MEAN18
Thread Starter #9
What I used to do, back in the day, was go find some press-in plugs at home depot, etc. in whatever sized I wanted holes. I can drill the holes with a hole saw, then if I change my mind I can pop the press-in plugs into the hole. I tended to go get the plugs *before* drilling the holes because if I did it after I could never find the right size :D
Dude the sarcasm in your signature really made my damn day! With less than 1k miles on my FiST I was already picking up many rock chips, and I hear ya on the orange peel and poor paint. I swear sometimes a really strong gust of air makes paint chips fly off mine now. But I guess if I drove some fancier European car (insert your preference here) I'd have expected more from the paintjob or interior comfort. I bought mine to have a fun, go kart like ride but also a totally cheap to own DD. Simple as that eh?

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Make sure to use a water permeable hose if you put it low for cold air intake. Something like the Mountune MP215 cold air box uses.

Thanks for the quick reply! I like where you are going, DIY stuff to save money is my game too. I've searched but haven't found stock box mod, but I still think I catch the drift and can do it easily without instruction. As of now, VT can't confirm the Big Mouth actually fits an '18, they asked me to drop by to see for sure, but I live in Ohio so that isn't happening. LOL. Do you know of any '18's that actually has a Big Mouth? If so, it appears to be worth buying. Also, you mention charge pipe restriction, a resonator on it, you are talking about the cold side? Because I don't remember, when I was under the car last time, any resonator on the cold side piping.
I have a ‘19 win a Big Mouth. It will fit just fine on yours.