Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

BFG G-Force’s?

Haven’t had to look at performance type tires in like 10 years, so there’s been some changes since my last set.

What’s the verdict on the BFG G-Force Comp-2’s? Best tires I’ve ever ran were BFG KDW-NT2’s on my old MR-2 Spyder, but they aren’t made anymore and the G-Force look to be their replacements.

I’m looking to replace wheels and tires to go down to 16’s with some 205-45-16 rubbers. I live in the Houston area and I drive 150ish miles a day thru some nice twisty back roads. Wet traction and longevity are important, but I still want some good grip. The current 215-40-17 Toyo Extensa HP 2’s suck at everything.

I was a big fan of the old KDW's back in the day too. The KDW were great. Great traction and wear, just howled like the dickens, but wasn't a big deal with a loud tuner car. I don't remember them being all season tires though. The new tires you are referring too are all season rated. Tire rack gives them decent review https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=253, and in their class they seem to be class leader as of 2020. If you don't need snow capabilities there are numerous other tires I would put above these tires though.

OP
C
Thread Starter #4
@thecman02 What would be your recommendations? I don’t have to worry about snow, and if there’s ice on the roads everything in the Houston area comes to an immediate stop.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Save for the occasional, somewhat rare ice storm you get there, what is the usual, average winter time daytime temp there?

THAT is what will determine whether or not you can get away with a higher than 200 tread wear (which will be useless below 45*F, and even get damaged if it gets cold enough to freeze, and is then driven on), summer only type tire, vs. a high performance all season.

Last edited:
OP
C
Thread Starter #6
@M-Sport fan during the day the average winter temps are probably around 45. I leave the house around 5:45 in the morning, and it can get down in the teens on occasion then.

OP
C
Thread Starter #8
As much as I would love to rip around on some nice RE-71RS’s, driving 600-700 miles per week average would get expensive quick. Now, if I still had my little 30 mile round trip commute things would be different.

Dialcaliper

@M-Sport fan during the day the average winter temps are probably around 45. I leave the house around 5:45 in the morning, and it can get down in the teens on occasion then.
That’s probably a problem - the Rivals I recently got came with a specific warning which seems to be standard for pretty much any performance summer tire (including 300TW)

“Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.”

It’s better than the previous warning that used to be anything below freezing. Either way if it gets that cold, you’ll either want to stick to All-Seasons (usually 400+ TW) or have a set of all season wheels for the winter months.

I don’t have experience with the Comp-2’s which are supposed to be decent, at least in the reviews.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
As much as I would love to rip around on some nice RE-71RS’s, driving 600-700 miles per week average would get expensive quick. Now, if I still had my little 30 mile round trip commute things would be different.
Given that weekly mileage, along with the possibility of some freezing temps, I would be looking for some 400 tread wear PLUS all seasons.

The Conti DWS 06 Pluses, the General G-Max AS-05s and the Comp 2 Pluses are all made in both a 205/50-16 AND a 205/45-16 size, and are all at least a 400 tread wear rating or more.

I did not even look at the 17" sizes to see what is available in those, or any other tires, in that higher tread wear rating all season category.

Haven’t had to look at performance type tires in like 10 years, so there’s been some changes since my last set.

What’s the verdict on the BFG G-Force Comp-2’s? Best tires I’ve ever ran were BFG KDW-NT2’s on my old MR-2 Spyder, but they aren’t made anymore and the G-Force look to be their replacements.

I’m looking to replace wheels and tires to go down to 16’s with some 205-45-16 rubbers. I live in the Houston area and I drive 150ish miles a day thru some nice twisty back roads. Wet traction and longevity are important, but I still want some good grip. The current 215-40-17 Toyo Extensa HP 2’s suck at everything.
I wrapped my wheels in Firehawk Indy 500 UHPs and I'm pretty happy with them. Lotta guys on this forum rag on the Firehawk as a "okay at everything, good at nothing" but I've found it to be pretty comparable to the OEM Bridgestones that came on the car when I bought it new in 2019. The turn-in isn't as lightning sharp and the sidewall isn't as stiff but the tire is amazing in wet conditions and on bone dry roads I've never been able to push past its limits.

They're going to last a lot longer than any 200TW tire. It has more than enough grip to support driving in Mexico unless you're trying to actually kill people. And you'll feel safe driving in the rain. Most importantly, they're great on a budget. I grabbed a set of 4 and had them mounted and balanced for under $600 tax included back in August.

I'm not going to argue they're great tires. I have no doubt the OGs who swear by the 660s are right. But i have an e30 stock turbo tune and my Indys can take anything I throw at it which would definitely include sane but aggressive driving on open country roads.

Edit: That said, they're not all seasons. You're gonna need a different set of tires when the temps drop below freezing. From what I've read around here the Michelin Pilot Sport AS is a good option but I'm not sure how available they are stateside. And they won't be mistaken for UHPs.

Last edited:
loved the comp-2's and the original g-force. I ran them in some capacity since 2008 to 2018ish on different cars. great daily driver summer and occasional autox tires. they run wide. There are way better options out now as theyre pretty old. my daily summer choice is now Kumho's PS31 because of manners and price. Theyre not as wide or sticky though, at least thats my impression but i never ran them against the comp-2s on the same car

I ran Indy 500's across a few wheels sets on both of my Fiesta's (after wanting something other that the G-Comps interstingly) because they were cheap locally at the time (always less than $120 per wheel) and performed well enough. They also communicate pretty well but I wanted less sidewall flex and it felt like they would get pretty greasy. Not a tire I'm shopping at their current price point.

I've decided to beat this set of R888R's into the ground and they've been daily driven on the road for almost 7000 miles already. They've just reached a point where substantial standing water is getting a little sketchy. Feels like it hasn't quite gotten cold enough for long enough to cause any structural issues. So it's been a crazy fun experiment because these Toyo's are nuts. But I've been eyeing some 300TW options like the Yokohama Advan Fleva V701's because I like the Konig wheels so much.

Last edited:

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I just got the Yokohama Advan Fleva V701's and I like them a lot. The turn in is quicker and the feel is better than the Indy 500's that I had before. They feel more solid and less vague.The sidewall seems a bit stiffer, but somehow the ride is not as harsh.

Last edited:
I just got the Yokohama Advan Fleva V701's and I like them a lot. The turn in is quicker and the feel is better than the Indy 500's that I had before. They feel more solid and less vague.The sidewall seems a bit stiffer, but somehow the ride is not as harsh.
I noticed even from mildy spirited driving the Indy 500‘s seemed to jump in pressure quite a bit. Could get them from 38 cold to 45 hot tearing around on ramps. Not sure how significant that really is. Great to hear on those V701’s! The specs just really started to make it seem like another great balanced option.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
OK, but how are they in the freezing cold dry weather, or what little of that you get there, let alone a 40*F pouring rain??

Also, I would expect the Yoks to last a good long time as far as mileage goes (especially up against the 200 tread wear and below gumballs), but not as long as the higher tread wear rated UHP all seasons would.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
OK, but how are they in the freezing cold dry weather, or what little of that you get there, let alone a 40*F pouring rain??

Also, I would expect the Yoks to last a good long time as far as mileage goes (especially up against the 200 tread wear and below gumballs), but not as long as the higher tread wear rated UHP all seasons would.
You raise a concern that I had thought of.I hardly ever drive in hard rain, I'm retired so I can mostly choose when I drive.As for driving in freezing cold dry weather, so far they have been fine, but we haven't had much of it. When it gets below about 45° I take it easy.I did have their predecessor tire, the Yokohama S. Drive,on my other car and it was fine under those conditions, so I'm optimistic this one will be the same since it's a similar tire.
The issue here in central North Carolina is that it doesn't really get cold enough or snow enough to justify winter tires, and I don't want an all season tire with the drop in performance that it brings, so I look for a less extreme summer tire that I can run all year round. So far that has worked out fine.
To the OP, sorry if we hijacked your thread here asking about another tire, but I think this would be a good option for you to consider if it's available in the size you're looking for.

Last edited:
@thecman02 What would be your recommendations? I don’t have to worry about snow, and if there’s ice on the roads everything in the Houston area comes to an immediate stop.

I should walk back on my comment about there being numerous other tires I would choose. I forget about many tires getting damaged by cold weather. Like others I've had good luck with Firehawk Indy 500's. They are usually very competitvely priced. I actually got caught in a snowstorm with my CTS-V and made it home safely without a scare, with that being said you probably would be better off with something in the UHPAS class. I've had insanely good luck with Continental DWS06. They barely give up much performance to the Sport Contacts that I'm currently running, but the Continentals are only sold in 205/45R17, so you have to ask yourself if you are okay with a slightly taller sidewall. The continentals have a rebate going on too, but I think it ends today. Not sure if it is going to be renewed for next month.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I think this would be a good option for you to consider if it's available in the size you're looking for.
It is not only a good option for a quality 300 tread wear spring/summer/fall tire, it is one of the very few options in that category made in sizes which we can use.

Yes, if Chaser's conditions are similar to yours, he most definitely should consider the Flevas. [thumb]