Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Big brake kits BBK’s

May be able to get my hands on the Mountune Brembo kit but the Stoptech is available now fer sure. I need to stop on a dime at high speed and (brake) repeatedly on the twisties. I’m ok without having the SVT rear replacement for now. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

kevinatfms

Wilwood kits(front and rear) are tits as long as they fit the wheels you plan on running. Also, add as much ducting as you can.

^^^^^ Because this is for road use I would definitely go with a caliper that has dust seals which I believe the mountune kit and stoptech have. But since this is only for road use my first question would be have you tried high temp brake fluid, better pads and ducting @MRX430 ?

OP
MRX430
Thread Starter #5
^^^^^ Because this is for road use I would definitely go with a caliper that has dust seals which I believe the mountune kit and stoptech have. But since this is only for road use my first question would be have you tried high temp brake fluid, better pads and ducting @MRX430 ?
Yes to all except ducting.

kevinatfms

One reason I didn't get thje Wilwood BBK is the stories of people melting pistons because it has no dust seals for the pistons
Dust seals have nothing to do with heat management. They are to prevent dust from scoring the piston sides. They are purely for long term abraison resistance due to dust/dirt build up on the piston skirt.

If the OP hasnt ducted his setup yet then start there. I run the Boomba air deflectors. CM Buildz had the brake dust shields with the 3" hose opening on them that were pretty slick but dont think he sold very many of them. Duct them from the fog lights and take temp readings. That should lower temps quite a bit.

OP
MRX430
Thread Starter #8
I don’t need ducting. I want the car to stop on a dime, pick it up and give me a nickel back(don’t get excited Not the group)

I would check out http://www.reyland.co.uk/fiesta/ (call them rather than emailing them). I got the AP Racing 4-Pot Caliper And 2-Piece 315x28mm Disc Kit from them and it is a huge improvement in not only stopping power but brake feel. It takes the kinda mushy stock pedal feeling and turns it into a really firm race car like feel that is very predictable and easy to modulate. Also if you go with the J hooks they make an awesome whirring sound with new pads and when braking hard and they bite like crazy!

New rear calipers only come with the Wilwoods. That’s really what I’m after. A BBK front and rear.
That definitely limits your choices, and a new caliper for the rears will not really do much, I would just go with either the svt upgrade for the rear or another rotor size kit. You will feel the most difference with the front calipers and rotors as they do 90% of the work if not more in our cars, the back wheels and rotors are just along for the ride while the front does all the work in our cars lol

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

New rear calipers only come with the Wilwoods. That’s really what I’m after. A BBK front and rear.
Also u can do a custom kit for the rears with nicer calipers, I know reyland does custom work.

If I were you I would definitely start with the fronts and if you are still finding the brakes lacking in the rear then look for an upgrade for the rears.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
That definitely limits your choices, and a new caliper for the rears will not really do much, I would just go with either the svt upgrade for the rear or another rotor size kit. You will feel the most difference with the front calipers and rotors as they do 90% of the work if not more in our cars, the back wheels and rotors are just along for the ride while the front does all the work in our cars lol

Id say its more along the lines of 70% front and 30% rears.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Dust seals have nothing to do with heat management. They are to prevent dust from scoring the piston sides. They are purely for long term abraison resistance due to dust/dirt build up on the piston skirt.

If the OP hasnt ducted his setup yet then start there. I run the Boomba air deflectors. CM Buildz had the brake dust shields with the 3" hose opening on them that were pretty slick but dont think he sold very many of them. Duct them from the fog lights and take temp readings. That should lower temps quite a bit.
Yeah, I worded that wrong. Didn't mean the dust seals caused melting. I just heard of melting at tracks and stuff gets into the pistons.

Brake kits and set up should be decided with a few factors in mind, which I haven't seen asked here. What tires are you running? What type of brake feel do you want? Have you tried to activate ABS in different speeds? Because the stock brakes can lock up most street compound tires with a good set of pads. Bigger brake kits and brake upgrades in general are mainly for heat management on these cars. There are other reasons for upgrading the brakes, but that is the biggest benefit. The reason why ducting has been recommended is for heat management as well. You stated you want to stop on a dime repeatedly. Heat management is what allows you to do that.