Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

BIG TURBO TIME

Hello all,
So i just purchased a gt2560r turbo. I am running into one problem, before I put it in should i buy an aftermarket wastegate?? Whats it mean be 11psi or the othe wastegate option between choosing the 15psi vs the 18psi?
I know the very basic of how a turbo works but the wastegate gets a little confusing.

Thanks

Attachments

ronmcdon

My understanding is that the spring determines the lowest boost you can run. You cannot run more than double the spring pressure. So a 11psi wastegate spring means lowest boost is 11psi of boost and highest is 22psi of boost.

Too high with the springs (and boost) and it's hard to get traction in lower gears in our cars especially. Too low and it limits how much boost, which is fine for the oem turbo (not sure it goes above 22lbs of boost) but not great for for say a Whoosh Hybrid (guessing around 28 lbs is what ppl run). For a smaller gt2560r, my guess is that the 15 wastegate spring is best as it would run 15lbs of boost minimal and 30lbs max. 18psi wategate spring would probably work ok but not sure if it's good for lower gear traction and fuel economy.

https://www.realstreetperformance.com/blog/tech-tip-11-selecting-the-right-wastegate-spring

btw - curious why you chose the gt2560r?

Last edited:
OP
Blanco_ST
Thread Starter #5
My understanding is that the spring determines the lowest boost you can run. You cannot run more than double the spring pressure. So a 11psi wastegate spring means lowest boost is 11psi of boost and highest is 22psi of boost.

Too high with the springs (and boost) and it's hard to get traction in lower gears in our cars especially. Too low and it limits how much boost, which is fine for the oem turbo (not sure it goes above 22lbs of boost) but not great for for say a Whoosh Hybrid (guessing around 28 lbs is what ppl run). For a smaller gt2560r, my guess is that the 15 wastegate spring is best as it would run 15lbs of boost minimal and 30lbs max. 18psi wategate spring would probably work ok but not sure if it's good for lower gear traction and fuel economy.

https://www.realstreetperformance.com/blog/tech-tip-11-selecting-the-right-wastegate-spring

My dad's friend had a fiesta ST and he bought gt2560r, he ended up selling the fiesta and never installed the turbo, he sold it to me for $1,000...

ronmcdon

its an interesting choice for a turbo. my understanding is its popular with the miata and mini crowd. might be an interesting alternative to the whoosh hybrid. please post results if you do decide to go this route.

for tuners it seems like Cobb accessport with tuners like dizzy, stratified and tune plus seem like popular choices

dhminer

2000 Post Club

This ^

If it’s an ATP kit, it probably came with a 14 psi actuator which is fine if you’re staying on the stock fuel system. May want to upgrade if you go aux fuel. But as jabbit said, buy a tune and tell your tuner what your goals are. They’ll help. Jason @ dizzy helped me a lot with this initially.

anticon

I have a Whoosh hybrid with an 11psi wastegate. It's tuned to max boost around 25 psi. They are not supposed to go over 26 psi.

OP
Blanco_ST
Thread Starter #9
its an interesting choice for a turbo. my understanding is its popular with the miata and mini crowd. might be an interesting alternative to the whoosh hybrid. please post results if you do decide to go this route.

for tuners it seems like Cobb accessport with tuners like dizzy, stratified and tune plus seem like popular choices
I'll keep everyone updated

OP
Blanco_ST
Thread Starter #10
I'll keep everyone updated
Ok, so if anyone cares I had purchased a gt2560r... big mistake.
Jason from Dizzy informed me that he wasn't a fan of my particular setup. i was confused but later during the tuning process i found out lol. Needless to say i should have done my research. My turbo is super laggy 😂 3th gear matted even in the power rev range is slow to pick up. Max on 91 i was making 260 on the vdyno. Second gear isn't too bad, i beat my friends 2019 eco boost mustang Cobb stage 1 from a 30mph roll. With a pretty decent gapp. For a stand still though, no chance. To compare, i was stage 3 previously but without a turbo upgrade on e30 with stratified. My car use to be so much fun and i was probably making about 270hp (i think) stock turbo but full bolt on. The only plus side about the gt2560r is that it just keeps pulling up top once you're at higher speed. Im sure it would have got some good bottom end grunt on E30 but i didn't even finish my tuning process. I have haulted my tune till i received my new turbo (s280) i just bought.
I have to say though, the gt2560r sounds sick the spool up is 🤤.

AzNightmare

Jason from Dizzy informed me that he wasn't a fan of my particular setup. i was confused but later during the tuning process i found out lol. Needless to say i should have done my research. My turbo is super laggy 😂 3th gear matted even in the power rev range is slow to pick up. Max on 91 i was making 260 on the vdyno. Second gear isn't too bad, i beat my friends 2019 eco boost mustang Cobb stage 1 from a 30mph roll. With a pretty decent gapp. For a stand still though, no chance. To compare, i was stage 3 previously but without a turbo upgrade on e30 with stratified. My car use to be so much fun and i was probably making about 270hp (i think) stock turbo but full bolt on. The only plus side about the gt2560r is that it just keeps pulling up top once you're at higher speed. Im sure it would have got some good bottom end grunt on E30 but i didn't even finish my tuning process. I have haulted my tune till i received my new turbo (s280) i just bought.

Always look at dyno charts and not just peak power numbers. Big turbos tend to deliver power like that. It's like an on/off switch and some people like for highway pulls. But as you've found out, they make the car really laggy and there's nothing until after 4k rpm.

On E30 FBO, you were probably making 220 whp~, 260 wtq. 270 would be pretty much impossible with the stock turbo.
You'll enjoy the S280. You'll be making at least 270 with 91, and you'll be pulling from 3300 rpm to redline.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Always look at dyno charts and not just peak power numbers. Big turbos tend to deliver power like that. It's like an on/off switch and some people like for highway pulls. But as you've found out, they make the car really laggy and there's nothing until after 4k rpm.

On E30 FBO, you were probably making 220 whp~, 260 wtq. 270 would be pretty much impossible with the stock turbo.
You'll enjoy the S280. You'll be making at least 270 with 91, and you'll be pulling from 3300 rpm to redline.
Actually the S280 will start pulling before 3300 I can personally attest to that. It starts rolling around 2800-3k. If you are E30 it will start at 2800. 91 it will be spooling at 3k

OP
Blanco_ST
Thread Starter #13

Yah i just remember seeing on the vdyno that it had said 260hp i think, but regardless I'll be making more power soon 😎😎

I’m looking into this turbo for my brothers setup I’m well aware the 25 series turbos are laggy but he wants something that hit over 300whp, has ball bearings “he going to put 200k on this car” and pull hard up top which the 2554 won’t do

I’m looking into this turbo for my brothers setup I’m well aware the 25 series turbos are laggy but he wants something that hit over 300whp, has ball bearings “he going to put 200k on this car” and pull hard up top which the 2554 won’t do
I'd look for a BW EFR 6258 or 6758 instead of a 2560r. A little bit more $ but it would spool faster and have more top end.