Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Bilstein B14 PSS Regret

OP
unspankable
Thread Starter #21
Did you install the rear bump stops? Bilsteins only have internal bump stops on struts, not shocks like the rear.
Hey,
So there are internal bump stops on the front but the instructions told me to reuse the bump stops for the rears so yes I installed them.
Thanks for checking

HBEcoBeaST

What's funny is these seem to have settled in a bit more and seem firmer. I'm also no longer rubbing except during extreme cases. These b14s have been growing on me.

However, I am getting some noise when I turn the wheel coming from the right front. Happens at parking lot speeds. Sounds like the dust boot is being pinched, sort of rubber on rubber noise but not the tire rubbing. Probably install related. Not sure what I could grease

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

what is this about the bump stops? do you need external bump stops for both the fronts and the rears? I no longer have my stock suspension and I'm thinking of getting the b14's and need to know what suspension parts to order to assemble the kit.

I also went to the B14s after trying COBB lowering springs, and it was a drastic improvement from just the springs alone. I wasn’t super impressed with them after awhile due to the abrupt motion that occurs going over small inclined bumps. I switched to the BC racing br coils and am really enjoying the dampening adjustability that comes with them. I haven’t dialed them in quite yet but off of the first 3 weeks I am enjoying them more.

OP
unspankable
Thread Starter #25
what is this about the bump stops? do you need external bump stops for both the fronts and the rears? I no longer have my stock suspension and I'm thinking of getting the b14's and need to know what suspension parts to order to assemble the kit.
Google Stratified Fiesta ST or click Here.
You need to reuse the rear stock bump stops and hats/mounts so you will have to order those along with the parts stratified blog lists.

OP
unspankable
Thread Starter #26
What's funny is these seem to have settled in a bit more and seem firmer. I'm also no longer rubbing except during extreme cases. These b14s have been growing on me.

However, I am getting some noise when I turn the wheel coming from the right front. Happens at parking lot speeds. Sounds like the dust boot is being pinched, sort of rubber on rubber noise but not the tire rubbing. Probably install related. Not sure what I could grease

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Weird i just heard a noise from the driver side corner on a banked sweeping right hand off ramp for the first time tonight.
Lmk if you figure it out. I used a shit load of rubber grease on all the rubber parts before install.

so apparently the rear spring orientation is negligible but what is the general concensus? tighter wound coils near the top or tight wound coils near the bottom? just ordered these and want to make sure I install them to how most people have them. they are on a national backorder however :'(

From an Engineering standpoint the tight coils should be at the top. Because with them down the Unspring Weight is INCREASED, never a good thing for a suspension. Note, the reason why their is an increase is simple, in a deflection the entire mass of that tight coil stack has to move, put the stack on top and it's not moving that mass nearly as far. I'll also point out that the purpose of that tight coil stack is to provide an increasing rate of progression for the spring rate during deflection. Note, almost all springs get "stiffer" as they are compressed but this type of design has the spring getting "stiffer" much faster. In a very simplified description at some point during deflection that tight section will "bottom out" and when that happens the remaining spring will be much stiffer. The end result is that this has the potential to produce a harsher feeling suspension over larger bumps. From a performance standpoint this type of spring design will normally result in less body roll in cornering and a quicker response.

Finally, in regards to the 17" rims I think it's foolish to use this rim size on this car. I know, it's "Stylish". It also creates a distinctly harsh ride and and a tire/wheel combination that is much more prone to cracked rims. NASCAR and Formula One both mandate a 3 1/2 inch sidewall height for a reason, they don't want to see the results of a wheel failure at speeds approaching 200 mph. Change to 16 inch rims and both your car and backside will thank you for that, because the ride is much improved and the cornering in a rough corner will be much improved. I'll also note that the telepathic turn in will NOT be reduced in a change to 16's.

From an Engineering standpoint the tight coils should be at the top. Because with them down the Unspring Weight is INCREASED, never a good thing for a suspension. Note, the reason why their is an increase is simple, in a deflection the entire mass of that tight coil stack has to move, put the stack on top and it's not moving that mass nearly as far. I'll also point out that the purpose of that tight coil stack is to provide an increasing rate of progression for the spring rate during deflection. Note, almost all springs get "stiffer" as they are compressed but this type of design has the spring getting "stiffer" much faster. In a very simplified description at some point during deflection that tight section will "bottom out" and when that happens the remaining spring will be much stiffer. The end result is that this has the potential to produce a harsher feeling suspension over larger bumps. From a performance standpoint this type of spring design will normally result in less body roll in cornering and a quicker response.

Finally, in regards to the 17" rims I think it's foolish to use this rim size on this car. I know, it's "Stylish". It also creates a distinctly harsh ride and and a tire/wheel combination that is much more prone to cracked rims. NASCAR and Formula One both mandate a 3 1/2 inch sidewall height for a reason, they don't want to see the results of a wheel failure at speeds approaching 200 mph. Change to 16 inch rims and both your car and backside will thank you for that, because the ride is much improved and the cornering in a rough corner will be much improved. I'll also note that the telepathic turn in will NOT be reduced in a change to 16's.

I like that, thank you!

OP
unspankable
Thread Starter #30
so apparently the rear spring orientation is negligible but what is the general concensus? tighter wound coils near the top or tight wound coils near the bottom? just ordered these and want to make sure I install them to how most people have them. they are on a national backorder however :'(
In the instructions Bilstein says to orient them so the logo printed on the coil is readable/right side up.

In the instructions Bilstein says to orient them so the logo printed on the coil is readable/right side up.
Yeah i keep periodically looking back at the instruction manuals and other pictures online. Most of the companies have the tight wound coils near the top but bilstein is saying it should be tight side on the bottom.

Did you ever get around to flipping your rear springs? or is it the same as the pictures in your original post?

I'm waiting to get my hands on these but apparently theyre on a few months backorder so... yeah