Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blend Door Actuator Gear Upgrade Project

aaron240

I measured and modeled the existing gear that typically breaks with the hope that i could make a part that was robust enough to outlast the factory piece and limit the amount of time you have to swap out the assemblies. This prototype 3D printed part is made from carbon fiber reinforced nylon 12 and printed using SLS. I will install this in my fiesta ST and provide some feedback as to if it solves the issues we have all experienced with those blend door actuators failing.

Attachments

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I measured and modeled the existing gear that typically breaks with the hope that i could make a part that was robust enough to outlast the factory piece and limit the amount of time you have to swap out the assemblies. This prototype 3D printed part is made from carbon fiber reinforced nylon 12 and printed using SLS. I will install this in my fiesta ST and provide some feedback as to if it solves the issues we have all experienced with those blend door actuators failing.
Which of the actuators is that for? I believe there are three, one for the mode, where the air goes, one for the blend, the temperature, and one for fresh or recirculate.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Which of the actuators is that for? I believe there are three, one for the mode, where the air goes, one for the blend, the temperature, and one for fresh or recirculate.
..and I believe that ALL THREE of mine are currently clacking like mad at startup! [:(]

Love this conceptually. It's so interesting that everyones last for different lengths of time, which makes me feel like you'd really need to test...20-30 of these and get feedback on the longevity for each.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...-part-numbers-video-install.22458/post-436100

Memory serving, there may be a little potentiometer type system that is supposed to allow the computer to learn then track the blend door's location. I think what happens is that potentiometer wears out or becomes unreliable; causing the HVAC computer to repeatedly grind the gears until they eventually break.

For the driver side one, so far I've had good luck out of the Dorman.
When I though it had failed, it hadn't. I just failed to install it correctly so the drive gear eventually popped-out.
Stuck it back in, installed it correctly this time and been good since.
I suspect Dorman improved the mechanism for tracking the gear's position.

Sam4

got some no-name from Rock to install this afternoon. 1/4" T15 and gyro spinner, and an upcoming surgeon appt for what remains of my right shoulder....it's got the motocraft-type short part# CYH5E, but is missing the long ford part# from the original. Can't be too many different actual manufacturers of these...