Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blown coolant reservoir hose & engine overspeed code

metro

About a mile from my house, my temp display filled every bar and went into limp mode. I pulled over immediately and shut the engine off.

I found that coolant reservoir hose KM-5398 had blown at the reservoir, from that chinsy little connector on the left.
1620287396569.png

Checked my AP for codes, I found P0219 Engine Overspeed Condition and P1299 Cylinder Head Temp warning code. Never on this drive had I revved above maybe 4500. Looking at some other posts, it seems that people who blow this hose usually have other problems associated, like a cracked head.

Any input on the codes I'm getting or what I can do to check things out further?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
What year? What mileage? If out of Powertrain warranty I'd get a new hose....put some more coolant in it and clear codes. If you wanna check further you buy a leakdown tester or a cylinder head gasket tool with Dye to check and see if Exhaust is getting into the coolant. Good luck....keep us posted with your findings.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
metro

metro

Thread Starter #3
2015 on about 107k. I have a hose and some coolant coming in tomorrow, will definitely update this post if this develops into anything. Hope not!

SrsBsns

2015 on about 107k. I have a hose and some coolant coming in tomorrow, will definitely update this post if this develops into anything. Hope not!
Exact same thing happened to me on my '15. I was at ~50K miles.

Had it towed to the dealership and they told me that the hose "be like that sometimes" and that it wasn't covered under warranty. They performed the dye test and the car passed which is good because I would have been SOL for the repair if something happened to the head/motor.

Replace the hose, do a compression test. If it comes back ok, you should be fine.

I also upgraded to a Mountune radiator afterwards.

OP
metro

metro

Thread Starter #5
Swapped the hose and bled my system, everything seems fine. Will do a compression test as soon as I have some time on my hands.

I’m the furthest thing from being under warranty but my dealership overnighted the hose when I only chose “pickup” and didn’t even pay for shipping, which was pretty sweet. They also basically told me this hose just sorta... does that.

oh well, you win some you lose some.