Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blue track/street build - salvage restoration

Bumper looks great!

For cheap paint options, I know rattle can is generally frowned upon, but a decent enough job can be done with proper prep work and patience. Will it be perfect? No, will it be as good as OEM? No. Will it be as good as a shop? No. But I think you can do a good enough job where people wont notice until you point it out.

Or wrap it

OP
J

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #63
Bumper looks great!

For cheap paint options, I know rattle can is generally frowned upon, but a decent enough job can be done with proper prep work and patience. Will it be perfect? No, will it be as good as OEM? No. Will it be as good as a shop? No. But I think you can do a good enough job where people wont notice until you point it out.

Or wrap it
Thanks! Cost more than I wanted but I want this car done so I can really take it to the next level. I think I'm leaning towards rattle can.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Didn't want to put money into the body work but it was a necessary evil. Car is dusty but the bumper turned out nice. Might actually have to have it painted now :( Fingers crossed for inspection round 2 tomorrow AM.
View attachment 39496
Looking whole again. Whatever you do. Do Not Rattle Can paint your bumper. Thats ghetto as hell. You could most likely get that matched for around $200 -300 and quite honestly thats small potatos.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #65
Looking whole again. Whatever you do. Do Not Rattle Can paint your bumper. Thats ghetto as hell. You could most likely get that matched for around $200 -300 and quite honestly thats small potatos.
My original plan was zip ties aka drift stitch so...yeah my standards are low. Although I'm considering getting my TB crash bar and autopower roll bar powder coated so idk. Might just leave the hood black and only do the bumper.

My original plan was zip ties aka drift stitch so...yeah my standards are low. Although I'm considering getting my TB crash bar and autopower roll bar powder coated so idk. Might just leave the hood black and only do the bumper.
Wrap the bumper in flat black and go all strealthy?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Bumper looks great!

Or wrap it
It just might be better than OEM Paint...I don't know what your talking about! But have you see the paint issues some of us have!

Doesn't look "ghetto" if you do it right. I've rattle canned a lot and have pretty high standards. I've gotten both good and bad results. The differences? My patience, prep work, and quality products. Technique is directly tied to patience, and good products make it easy.

I agree having it professionally painted is preferred, but spray can paint can certainly be an acceptable alternative if cost is more of a concern. It certainly can beat the way it currently looks (sorry OP). $200-$300 may be cheap to some, but not to all, especially on a project that's already running over budget. OP's car is purpose built track car and for that some people would rather spend that money on things like track days and tires than to have a perfect looking bumper.

Ex: my rattle can project that everyone told me not to do; held up to 2 years of driving, auto-x, infinite cone smacks, and a couple sets of tires mounted before I sold them.
PXL_20201117_213124312.NIGHT.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! Cost more than I wanted but I want this car done so I can really take it to the next level. I think I'm leaning towards rattle can.
Only thing is it may be hard to perfectly color match, but could be cool if you did it black and left the hood black like you have.

OP
J

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #75
Only thing is it may be hard to perfectly color match, but could be cool if you did it black and left the hood black like you have.
Yeah we'll see how it goes. I'm thinking I could paint the bumper professionally or do another track day. Hmmm rattle cans sound appealing.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Doesn't look "ghetto" if you do it right. I've rattle canned a lot and have pretty high standards. I've gotten both good and bad results. The differences? My patience, prep work, and quality products. Technique is directly tied to patience, and good products make it easy.

I agree having it professionally painted is preferred, but spray can paint can certainly be an acceptable alternative if cost is more of a concern. It certainly can beat the way it currently looks (sorry OP). $200-$300 may be cheap to some, but not to all, especially on a project that's already running over budget. OP's car is purpose built track car and for that some people would rather spend that money on things like track days and tires than to have a perfect looking bumper.

Ex: my rattle can project that everyone told me not to do; held up to 2 years of driving, auto-x, infinite cone smacks, and a couple sets of tires mounted before I sold them.
View attachment 39510
In the case of those wheels you are completely correct in the case of a Metallic Blue like his car it becomes a lot harder as finding the matching color is pretty much impossible. You also painted those entire wheels . That is a little different than trying to color match a section of a bumper. Oh and if you say rattlecan the whole bumper well then he is looking at time sanding down the rest of the bumper that has not been fixed. Which is seriously hours. Ya you can get it right but look at the time involved. I don“t know about you but time equals money . If I can pay someone to do something in an hour that would take me 5 I have actually saved money.

In the case of those wheels you are completely correct in the case of a Metallic Blue like his car it becomes a lot harder as finding the matching color is pretty much impossible. You also painted those entire wheels . That is a little different than trying to color match a section of a bumper. Oh and if you say rattlecan the whole bumper well then he is looking at time sanding down the rest of the bumper that has not been fixed. Which is seriously hours. Ya you can get it right but look at the time involved. I don“t know about you but time equals money . If I can pay someone to do something in an hour that would take me 5 I have actually saved money.
We're certainly on the same train, but maybe different carts. I totally agree with you on every point there. It is indeed a lot of work and yes, color matching is very unlikely to be perfect, however my point was: If someone is unable to/wants to spend the money, is okay with some compromise, and has the extra time that they wouldn't be making money (I know I certainly don't make money every waking hour), then the rattles is an okay option vs just leaving it alone, especially if OP's happy with a "good enough" job.

Plus, prep work+painting if OP doesn't mind the work could be considered entertainment. So in the end you get both a painted bumper and a few hours of entertainment on the side for your time/money. Doesn't seem like a bad deal to me.

OP
J

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #78
CAR PASSED! WOOOO! I can get reg and plates on Friday.

While I was waiting at inspection, I spent $30 online on a color matched spray can. I don't think it can look "worse" after I try that. Plus the bumper has been professionally prepped and primed. I'll start with that and see how it looks.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
We're certainly on the same train, but maybe different carts. I totally agree with you on every point there. It is indeed a lot of work and yes, color matching is very unlikely to be perfect, however my point was: If someone is unable to/wants to spend the money, is okay with some compromise, and has the extra time that they wouldn't be making money (I know I certainly don't make money every waking hour), then the rattles is an okay option vs just leaving it alone, especially if OP's happy with a "good enough" job.

Plus, prep work+painting if OP doesn't mind the work could be considered entertainment. So in the end you get both a painted bumper and a few hours of entertainment on the side for your time/money. Doesn't seem like a bad deal to me.
LOL ya sorry but with a color like that I would not fool myself into thinking I could even close to a decent looking match. I know better. It would be hours wasted trying to get there. There is such a thing as knowing when to do something and knowing when its better to leave it to a professional. I get it if your poor and can’t afford to but if you can’t afford to leave what is a small project to a pro and a large project to you? Then maybe one should not be venturing that road in the first place. I am not implying anything about the OP either just calling it the way I see it.,
One needs to pick their battles wisely in life lol. Trying to match paint is battle unless you already have a talent for it.
Me I have an eye for detail. It would never fly for that reason.

CAR PASSED! WOOOO! I can get reg and plates on Friday. While I was waiting at inspection, I spent $30 online on a color matched spray can. I don't think it can look "worse" after I try that. Plus the bumper has been professionally prepped and primed. I'll start with that and see how it looks.
It's your car...do as you see fit! If others don't like it... that's the monkeys in their brains! Anyway, when you blow by someone they won't notice it ain't an exact match!