Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Bought an ST150 with an issue, need some help!

Hi all,
New to the forum as I’ve recently purchased a 56 plate ST150 with 120k on the clock.

The story behind it:

When I bought it (knowing it had an issue), it was running ok, but soon after it started misfiring and oil was literally being fired out the exhaust and had covered the plugs!
Compression test showed 0 compression from cylinder 2 and the others around 210psi.
The thinking was either valve stem oil seals, or maybe the oil ring on the piston. So started taking it apart, and upon inspection, found a hole in an exhaust valve of cylinder 2. There was no sign of damage to any pistons or bores thankfully.

Where I’m at now:

Got the head skimmed, 6 valves in total replaced due to the guy doing it said they were looking a bit ropey, all valves re-lapped and new valve stem oil seals fitted. New head gasket (and head bolts) rocker cover gasket, inlet manifold gaskets, water pump, timing chain kit including guides and tensioner all fitted, and timed up correctly using Ford tools. Of course the usual, new oil filter, oil, and that too. Started first time!
Got a few heat cycles through before opening it up further and it drives really well when up in the revs.

My problem:
Yesterday it failed the MOT on emissions and according to the tester, filled their garage up with smoke when doing the test. Cold start it still has a bit of white/blue smoke and after coming back from a 15 minute drive today I got my son to video from the back and there is a lot of black smoke on revs.

My thinking was that maybe there is a load of oil stuck in the cat & exhaust that might be burning with the smoke possibly? Other than it being piston rings, any ideas on what could be causing the smoke?
Engine wise it’s standard but it has got a K&N cone filter on but on a standard map that came with the car.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Craig

Attachments