Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Bov help.

I don't think my turbosmart em kompact plumb back, solenoid controlled bov, is functioning correctly.
I'm hearing turbo flutter on throttle close.
Ecu is sending the correct signal according to AP.
Does polarity of this solenoid matter?
Any other ideas/recommendations or trouble shooting tips
Thanks all for the help.

the duke

That’s typically how the turbosmarts operate. Flutter when venting isn’t the problem. Flutter under boost is the problem.

for reference i have a TS Kompact recirculating valve and it chirps like an old IMSA audi Quattro race car. Entirely as designed. Remember it’s a spring and pressure/ not a solenoid controlling venting

OP
unspankable
Thread Starter #3
That’s typically how the turbosmarts operate. Flutter when venting isn’t the problem. Flutter under boost is the problem.

for reference i have a TS Kompact recirculating valve and it chirps like an old IMSA audi Quattro race car. Entirely as designed. Remember it’s a spring and pressure/ not a solenoid controlling venting
Hello!
Thank you for your reply, are you saying the electronic actuator isn't responsible for controlling venting?

For reference this is the model I have
https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...sta-st-2014-2018?_pos=14&_sid=6bfdd0648&_ss=r

Am I mistaken thinking that flutter on throttle close is because of compressor surge? My stock diverter valve had no flutter and an audible pressure release hiss at the same boost pressure.
Thanks again

Attachments

the duke

Hello!
Thank you for your reply, are you saying the electronic actuator isn't responsible for controlling venting?

For reference this is the model I have
https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...sta-st-2014-2018?_pos=14&_sid=6bfdd0648&_ss=r

Am I mistaken thinking that flutter on throttle close is because of compressor surge? My stock diverter valve had no flutter and an audible pressure release hiss at the same boost pressure.
Thanks again
Compressor surge is when too much boost is built under load and starts to force back into the impeller, which causes surging and stalling.
See this, it's old but it's still relevant.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCj6Spwl1CU
What you're hearing is merely how the valve is operating. Valve design, spring design/spring constant, etc. It's just a different deisgn from stock. And under specific loads the OEM valve will flutter, it's under specific load/throttle inputs, but I know how to replicate it. My TS Kompact Recirculation valve is purely mechanical with a plug to provide enough resistance in the harness to not trip an error. It's run purely by vacuum and pressure deltas via a tapped block on the intake manifold. Yours is integrated into the OEM system and just changes the valve, but its still controlled by the ECU. Both are two different solutions for the same problems.

Last edited: