Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Brake and Rattle Woes

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Today I took the car to Ford today for a rattling sound in the front passenger side and left with them trying to sell me new brake pads and rotors for $500. The car is at 16.7k miles. Typical Ford (I hate Grieco). After getting a second opinion, I found the pad wear is at 4mm (not terrible) and was told the rotors are starting to glaze. Still didn't fix my rattling issue, unfortunately, since I doubt the brakes are the cause of that (I'll make another thread about that with a video). As M-Sport Fan mentioned, the ESC being on most of the time probably doesn't help. So, not really needing an urgent change, but eventually, I think I would need to get some slotted rotors (at least for the front) and maybe some better pads. My main priority is keeping initial bite, and less brake dust would be a nice bonus. Any suggestions?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
When does it happen? Upon braking or when letting off brakes? Accelerating or decelerating?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Hypergram

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
When does it happen? Upon braking or when letting off brakes? Accelerating or decelerating?

The rattling occurs when steadily accelerating, gaining revs past 3k; it has nothing to do with braking. The dealer tech said that it was the pad vibrating in the caliper, but shouldn't the pressure from the brake fluid keep that from happening? I'll attach a video here (added in creaks and rattle thread too).

Attachments

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Possible Hardware/ clips issue? Brakes should be cleaned and checked once a year ...two years at most as there tends to be build up of material sometimes. Clean...Lube pins and replace hardware ignition was me.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
The rattling occurs when steadily accelerating, gaining revs past 3k; it has nothing to do with braking. The dealer tech said that it was the pad vibrating in the caliper, but shouldn't the pressure from the brake fluid keep that from happening? I'll attach a video here (added in creaks and rattle thread too).
This, ahem, theory is easily checked by slight application of the brakes. If the sound goes away, it does something to do with the pads. Rattling brakes upon acceleration? That’s reaching.

Check the pins, make sure they are lubed. I had some noise in my Wilwoods (faint rattle) and upon closer inspection I found that I had lost a guide pin (or maybe both actually).

Changing pads and rotors is easy. I’d recommend you get on YT and learn how to do it. It’s a couple of hours tops. Save the dealership’s labor rate.