Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Brake Cooling Deflectors / Ducts - Boomba Racing

OP
Boomba Racing

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #82

To heat up brakes, car was driven on a closed course and the brakes were aggressively applied to quickly slow the car from 40 mph to 20 mph, the repeated until the target temperature of approx 500F degrees was reached.

For cooling, the car was driven on a close course for 1.5 miles at 40 mph. First to obtain a cool down temperature as a result of natural heat dissipation, and then repeated with the brake deflectors installed to channel fresh air onto the hub assembly.

Chuckable

Thanks for the data. So am I reading it correctly that the stock delta was 244F and the delta with the Boomba deflectors was 294.5F? A 50F difference?

I plan to measure peak rotor and caliper temps with / without deflectors at my next track day (late January) :)

OP
Boomba Racing

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #89
How functional are the dust covers anyway? That's my only concern is removing those...
From the testing we've done, there should be no real concern here. A lot of vehicles that come from the factory with deflectors like these (ex: Mustang GT with Performance Pack) have no dust shield in place or something very small. Due to the vehicle moving, nothing is really at high risk. We have heard of customers modifying their shields as well. You can run these deflectors with the shields on; you just won't see the same level of gains.

How functional are the dust covers anyway? That's my only concern is removing those...
I never knew how important dust covers were until I took them off...

I have lots of brake dust build up in the door jams and mainly the rear hatch jam after installing track pads + boomba deflectors. My car is white so all the black grit really shows up.

Im also running track pads which create a lot of dust. HPS-r and Hawk HP+

The barrels of my front wheels don't have much brake dust build up. Id say they have almost none at all. But the face of my wheel was chalked with brake dust after the first 20 min drive. I went outside to check tire temps and couldn't stop laughing after seeing all the build up on the face of my front wheels.

codestp202

I never knew how important dust covers were until I took them off...

I have lots of brake dust build up in the door jams and mainly the rear hatch jam after installing track pads + boomba deflectors. My car is white so all the black grit really shows up.

Im also running track pads which create a lot of dust. HPS-r and Hawk HP+

The barrels of my front wheels don't have much brake dust build up. Id say they have almost none at all. But the face of my wheel was chalked with brake dust after the first 20 min drive. I went outside to check tire temps and couldn't stop laughing after seeing all the build up on the face of my front wheels.
Let's go up Highway 9 sometime! How are you liking the deflectors in real world conditions like hwy 9? Heavily considering these. Also, what kind of oil temps are you getting driving hard in the mountains?

Let's go up Highway 9 sometime! How are you liking the deflectors in real world conditions like hwy 9? Heavily considering these. Also, what kind of oil temps are you getting driving hard in the mountains?
Its really hard to tell a difference since I also switched to better pads and steel lines. Looking at the testing done by Boomba, and the difference at the start is 20f and after 1.5 miles its 70f.

They certainly look badass though.

Just ordered mine today. Even if they are a bunch of FIB's (just a harmless joke from Wisconsin), the Boomba guys continue to impress me with the quality of their parts.

OP
Boomba Racing

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #97
Just ordered mine today. Even if they are a bunch of FIB's (just a harmless joke from Wisconsin), the Boomba guys continue to impress me with the quality of their parts.
Thanks for the order! You'll be quite pleased once you get these installed!

Just placed an order for red ones. VIR track weekend coming up soon! Want some more air on my brakes since I'll be running 15s.