Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Brake pads

I absolutely hate what came stock, has anyone changed their bakes and found something they love? I had akibono brakes on my Mini Cooper and they were fantastic but idk if anyone had other suggestions?

me32

1000 Post Club
What about the stock brake pads dont you like? I think they work great only thing I see to complain about is the brake dust but that comes with any high performance pad.

OP
quickchick
Thread Starter #3
I hate the dust and I feel like they grind a lot my rotors are fine they aren't warped rotors, no rust on them. but the pads irritate me. I don't like the feel of them when I am stopping, they kinda grip... I'm super picky about my brakes I guess

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I hate the dust and I feel like they grind a lot my rotors are fine they aren't warped rotors, no rust on them. but the pads irritate me. I don't like the feel of them when I am stopping, they kinda grip... I'm super picky about my brakes I guess
[shakehands]...

me32

1000 Post Club
Try using auto zone cmax gold pads. Low dust pads

OP
quickchick
Thread Starter #6
Hrm I'll have to look at them. I appreciate the suggestion...

iso100

1000 Post Club
My extended warranty covers wear items and labor to replace the items so I'm golden with the stock brakes.

Love the brakes not so much the dust but that's part of having a performance car.

OP
quickchick
Thread Starter #8
It makes my rims look horrible, I hate it. But I've had performance brakes on all my cars and I have never been so annoyed with the dust. I have the extended warranty but I'd pay the money for better brakes

OP
quickchick
Thread Starter #9
Could put on slotted and drilled rotors tho I guess

I would have to agree about the dust. I'm a service advisor and I used to tell Ford customers all the time, metallic content pads make a lot of dust. I washed this thing the other day and there was brake dust by the next afternoon! I think they feel great in normal and spirited daily driving, but I too would love something that doesn't dust so frickin much. Looks like KNS Brakes right here in Raleigh has quite a lot, expensive stuff though. I'm thinking about looking into Hawk HP Plus pads and Dot 5.1 fluid and stainless lines one day.

iso100

1000 Post Club
The dust does seem to wash off easily, unlike some other compounds I've had in the past.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Slotted rotors are cool, drilled not aways a wise choice as tend to crack far more easily. Both can cause more dust to a degree as can grind off more pad but some differ in opinion on that.

Unless you are using the brakes hard, race track, really hot canyon runs, neither will give you any benefit at all.

Dust free pads are going to reduce braking ability to a degree and especially if you get them hot, there is a reason for aggressive pads on this car.

The cleanest performance pads I have ran were from Carbotech, they are not cheap.

I am not sure of any moderate cost, clean, real performance pads that fit these cars, yet at least.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I love the Carbotechs on my other cars, they have made custom pads for me and shipped asap so I had them for events, great company.

I had some I ran street and track on, a bit noisy, squealed on occasion, dust was super easy to clean, did not eat finishes which was great when I had them on 13x18 custom CCW wheels on the back of the Vette(I only ran a couple of parade laps in the Vette, no roll bar, convertible, highly modded and fast but sold as not fun not being able to track it)

There is another brand I have really liked but for some reason not coming to me right now.

Contact Carbotech directly, they are great people, see what they can do.

Perry

I agree that the brakes generate a fair amount of dust, especially with spirited driving; that said, though that's generally expected with performance brakes, and these count. I've driven the car hard in a few autocross events, and gave it as hard a run as I was willing to give it for a half-day on the track, with lots of hard braking necessary, and the brakes have consistently performed very well. I'm quite happy with them, even with the brake dust accumulation.

CanadianST

I'm quite happy with them, yes I wish they weren't so dusty (especially since I'm running white wheels) but the performance is the best I've ever had so probably not gonna change them.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
For track junkies get a Wilwood BBK and CHEAP pads compared to all others.

You will pay for the brakes pretty quickly and have, better brakes:)

Lower dust usually mean lower performance, unless the price is high! I've used Hawk HP+ before on the street/track, and while they work great, they are NOISY in a terrible way. The cleaner/quieter pads run, generally the worse they deal with heat. Think 200 treadwear Dunlop Z2 tires vs 600 treadwear wooden POS tires that will never wear out, but also don't grip.

I drive it normally as I'm in some traffic every day and they still dust like freaks, but I do understand they are performance oriented semi metallic pads. I also know it's very tough to find pads that work great at the track AND on the street. You don't want noisy pads in day to day driving, so you gotta give up something.