Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Brakes not releasing after new lines put on. HELP!

I tried to upgrade to SS lines this weekend and followed the instructions pretty well I think and topped off the fluid after each wheel then I went through and bled them as suggested by others on the forum, but when the car is on the brakes wont release. I have reset the calipers twice and they seem fine, they slide and compress still and they release from the rotor when I open the nipple so I put the old hoses back on and re bled it again but no luck they still wont release under vacuum. Could I still have that much air in the system or did I break something the pedal is still firm and the brakes still have pressure, looks normal when I bleed they just wont release does anyone have any insights on this?

The brakes don't release at all? They are 100% engaged? Or can you get out and push the car but you still feel them grabbing?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm almost wondering if you managed to overfill the brake system somehow.

haste

1000 Post Club
There were instructions for installation of SS lines? Whoops...lol.

All 4 wheels are locked down? Have you lifted up the front or rear of the vehicle to see if all 4 are stuck?

OP
BBock
Thread Starter #5
Yeah the car has been up on stands and all four wheels off for this, I can get them all loose when I'm bleeding but if I press the pedal in and lock up all four they stay locked up when I turn the car on and test it.

I had a similar problem, I spent forever trying to figure it out. Long story short I bent the brake pedal bracket so the pedal wasn't returning to the neutral position. Check everything else first because the dealer charged me $270 total to fix it.

Also just check to make sure that the pistons on the rear calipers are aligned with the notch on the brake pad, so that the notch on the pad goes inside one of the spaces on the X shaped part of the piston

Edit

OP
BBock
Thread Starter #9
I had a similar problem, I spent forever trying to figure it out. Long story short I bent the brake pedal bracket so the pedal wasn't returning to the neutral position. Check everything else first because the dealer charged me $270 total to fix it.

Huh I hope I didn't do that, I would appreciate if you could take a quick pic up underneath what the pedal is supposed to look like when its resting.

haste

1000 Post Club
Huh I hope I didn't do that, I would appreciate if you could take a quick pic up underneath what the pedal is supposed to look like when its resting.
Did you get this issue figured out?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Try disconnecting the electrical harness from the ABS module.
I was suspecting one of the e-nannies also.
Turned off hill-assist in part because I was burning up more clutch than needed just to get the thing moving.

me32

1000 Post Club
I'm about ready to replace mine with SS lines too. I have doubts about the master cylinder failing when the only thing the OP did was replace the lines.
His issue is very odd. Its like air got into the ABS module causing it to lock up the brakes

PhoenixM3

His issue is very odd. Its like air got into the ABS module causing it to lock up the brakes
Are you and I the only two on the board with a FiST and a GT500. Both grin machines for sure! I'm thinking about driving up to the Ring to get the GT500 on it for a few laps. I may be shipping it back the US as the cost of insurance is very high here.

me32

1000 Post Club
Are you and I the only two on the board with a FiST and a GT500. Both grin machines for sure! I'm thinking about driving up to the Ring to get the GT500 on it for a few laps. I may be shipping it back the US as the cost of insurance is very high here.
I think you might be right. That would be pretty sweet to be able to make some laps in the ring. The 13-14 gt500s are one hell of a car man. You might miss the gt500 if you ship it back to the states while your out there.