Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Bravo alpha compared to whoosh v3

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
So I just got a bravo alpha intercooler and I'm running the v3 currently. When I took it out of the package it looks thinner than the v3 and it's a lot lighter.... Can anyone link their logs for charge temps on these 2 intercoolers? I wanna see which ones better.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Bravo Alpha is better. Yes it may be thinner but it's twice, maybe more, in height then the Whoosh.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
So I just got a bravo alpha intercooler and I'm running the v3 currently. When I took it out of the package it looks thinner than the v3 and it's a lot lighter.... Can anyone link their logs for charge temps on these 2 intercoolers? I wanna see which ones better.

So the whoosh V3 is the same footprint as the CP-E intercooler (which I have). I actually looked into "upgrading" to the BA intercooler and looked at some data comparing the two with @CP-E Mitch. I know he doesn't come here often but the gist was that the performance was nearly identical between the two with similar turbos. He convinced me not to upgrade. A lot of the additional surface area of the BA unit sits in a location that does not get great airflow.

Mitch also mentioned that because the GTX2860 is more efficient at higher boost levels, compared to the s280, it likely explains the lower charge temps compared to the s280 rather than the intercooler itself in the below figure. Not an apples to apples comparison unfortunately, but his explanation was enough to convince me that the CP-E (or whoosh V3 in your case) was sufficient.

The below figure is during 4th gear pulls in similar ambient conditions.

1585519704584.png

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
So the whoosh V3 is the same footprint as the CP-E intercooler (which I have). I actually looked into "upgrading" to the BA intercooler and looked at some data comparing the two with @CP-E Mitch. I know he doesn't come here often but the gist was that the performance was nearly identical between the two with similar turbos. He convinced me not to upgrade. A lot of the additional surface area of the BA unit sits in a location that does not get great airflow.

Mitch also mentioned that because the GTX2860 is more efficient at higher boost levels, compared to the s280, it likely explains the lower charge temps compared to the s280 rather than the intercooler itself in the below figure. Not an apples to apples comparison unfortunately, but his explanation was enough to convince me that the CP-E (or whoosh V3 in your case) was sufficient.

View attachment 29166

Perfect reply, this is also why Mitch is my tuner; he rocks.

I only got the BA because I had an ATP intercooler, which while similar to the CP-E, wasn't as efficient. So I went big, I'll get a crashbar one day and that will help with the flow, but for now I have never seen over 110* in 90* ambient temps on any pull.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8

View attachment 29166
So considering I already have the intercooler. Which one should I sell. Also, I talked with typhoonfist about this, he says he would recommend the ba. I need actual data from someone on the ba to compare, preferably from the same turbo.

Last edited:

Brianmc27

The BA is probably the better unit for keeping temps down - and if it were me, I’d always regret not installing it and wonder what might have been.
Follow your heart... haha

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
So considering I already have the intercooler. Which one should I sell. Also, I talked with bluetyphoon about this, he says he would recommend the ba. I need actual data from someone on the ba to compare, preferably from the same turbo.

Was what I posted not actual data?[confused]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Was what I posted not actual data?[confused]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What I'm saying is I'd also like data for the ba on a similar turbo. What you posted was absolutely what I need for the Garrett core intercooler.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
Worst case, I'll do what Brian says and log both. But I really hate pulling the front bumper off the car.

xxiaze

I can tell you my bravo definitely stays less than 2 degrees ambient temp with stock turbo and OTS stage 2. It is lower temperatures outside so that helps, but my stocker was pushing 7-10 degrees above ambient.

i have zero data on it though other than the ambient variations... hope that helps some.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Worst case, I'll do what Brian says and log both. But I really hate pulling the front bumper off the car.

You'd have to log the CP-E first and then the BA. I had to make some modifications to my hoses that will not allow me to revert to a stock fitment intercooler. If that is a deal breaker for you then ditch the BA.

Anyone know the core design differences between the two? V3 looks to use a pretty dense offset fin design internally and externally. Anyone know about the ba? I'm wondering if a more efficient core is getting similar results as more volume

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Would BA intercooler be considered overkill for stock turbo? I want a V3, but who knows when they will be back in stock. Looking at Peron Stage 1+, and I want to upgrade the intercooler, especially with summer right around the corner.

Brianmc27

Would BA intercooler be considered overkill for stock turbo? I want a V3, but who knows when they will be back in stock. Looking at Peron Stage 1+, and I want to upgrade the intercooler, especially with summer right around the corner.
V1is enough for stock turbo. V3 if there’s any chance you go hybrid turbo (or big).

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The BA is gross overkill for a factory snail, but, IF you even have an inkling about going to a bigger setup in the future, it becomes fully 'worth it'. [wink]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Buy once ...Cry once!