Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Bronco/Bronco Sport: Move over, Jeep.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
They resolved it by ditching the silly plastic oil pan and going back to aluminum. That being said my plastic pan never leaked a drop.
My Mother is on her 4th time being "fixed". I said anymore of this filth they can buy this Edge sport back! . Its hit or miss I've been told by a Tech and There is a 50/50 chance it will start leaking again after it has been fixed. I said that is real comforting!

My Mother is on her 4th time being "fixed". I said anymore of this filth they can buy this Edge sport back! . Its hit or miss I've been told by a Tech and There is a 50/50 chance it will start leaking again after it has been fixed. I said that is real comforting!
Supposedly there is a procedure to fix it properly. You have to let the car sit with the pan off for hours, make sure its bone dry, reseal pan, wait many hours for sealant to dry, then refill with oil. Its not surprising there are dealers not following that procedure
This is with the F-150. I'm not sure if the Edge is the same.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Supposedly there is a procedure to fix it properly. You have to let the car sit with the pan off for hours, make sure its bone dry, reseal pan, wait many hours for sealant to dry, then refill with oil. Its not surprising there are dealers not following that procedure
This is with the F-150. I'm not sure if the Edge is the same.
Its the same procedure with every vehicle that carries the 2.7L.

Last I checked them have a non raptor 3.5 F150...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep. As I said, I don't get why the 2.7 exists. Efficiency differences are minor, and packaging sure as hell isn't a concern in something like an F-150. Maybe there's an argument for it in a smaller engine bay like the Edge, but the 3.5 can't be all that much bigger, can it?

Yep. As I said, I don't get why the 2.7 exists.
Gas mileage. The 3.5 EcoBoost doesn't do all that well in the MPG department. Ford needed an engine in their trucks that got better gas mileage and would still perform well enough to do 90% of what the bigger engines can do.
As trucks become more family vehicles and DD's vs work trucks, Ford needed to be able to provide and engine that wouldn't cost a fortune to run. Which is why you see so many Lariats with the 2.7

Gas mileage. The 3.5 EcoBoost doesn't do all that well in the MPG department. Ford needed an engine in their trucks that got better gas mileage and would still perform well enough to do 90% of what the bigger engines can do.
As trucks become more family vehicles and DD's vs work trucks, Ford needed to be able to provide and engine that wouldn't cost a fortune to run. Which is why you see so many Lariats with the 2.7
If you look at the engineering design of the 2.7 compared to the 2.3 or even the 3.5, it is dimmensionally built much more like an engine you’d want to rev out to generate a ton of horsepower. The 2.3 has almost a half inch longer stroke than the 2.7 and the cylinder bore is also .15 inches wider on the 2.3 compared to the 2.7. For all intents and purposes, those dimensions alone would suggest a design intent for the 2.3 would be a torque biased motor while the 2.7 would be better to develop as a free revving horsepower monster. Well maybe that’s a stretch for they traditionally refer to the design of the 2.7 as a square engine, while the 2.3 is decidedly under square which is generally the design you’d use for peak torque development. In that regard the 2.3 would’ve been a better choice as a truck motor for fuel economy, as we see throughout fords lineup it develops similar torque figures to the 2.7 while also being lighter, and more fuel efficient.

When the 2.7 got initially announced, I assumed it would completely replace the 3.5 at some point, at least outside of halo cars like the raptor and ford GT, but part of me thinks that it didn’t get the reception ford had been hoping it’d get, which is why the 3.5 (which by comparison is archaic) is getting updated.

Long winded post, but I’ll sum it up, as it’s the same thing I’ve been saying about the bronco: the 2.3 would’ve been plenty of engine for any purpose that ford would use the 2.7 for. While both the 3.5 and 2.3 EBs exist in fords stable, I don’t really understand why the 2.7 is around. The 2.3 gets better fuel economy, the 3.5 generates more power.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Im hopeful the diesel for the jeep gets into higher trim models besides base. 🤷 wanting to try other than ford next.

It's something like 1-3 mpg difference in the F-150 (depending on 4x2 or 4x2), and that's more likely down to just the 3.5 being tuned for significantly more power than the 2.7 (50 more hp, 70 ft/lbs as of 2017, both engines being a moving target on power figures). I guess it makes sense if you're trying to meet CAFE and you know there'd be no end to the whining if you put a four banger in the base model F-150.

It feels like Ford built the 2.7 for a sportier application that never happened (base model Mustang maybe?), but they spent all that R&D on the engine, so they had to put it in something.

Last edited:
This is shit. 7 model versions?! I’m so tired of car companies. Let’s get rid of something cool to make a new vehicle with 7 different versions and in 2 years complain that nobody is buying 4 of them.

Was interested to see Ford offer a 7 spd manual transmission but they still use Getrag as their source.. Ford is not having much success with the manual in the Mustang. Deal breaker right there..

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
This is shit. 7 model versions?! I’m so tired of car companies. Let’s get rid of something cool to make a new vehicle with 7 different versions and in 2 years complain that nobody is buying 4 of them.

Bronco is being considered a separate line, like Lincoln or Cadillac.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

You can get one with 0 markup from Town and Country in Alabama. Very tempted to get a base 2 door with hard top and sasquatch package.

You can get one with 0 markup from Town and Country in Alabama. Very tempted to get a base 2 door with hard top and sasquatch package.
$1000+ for a cheap set of tires for every Sasquatch package any time you need to change them. That’s pretty much the cost of a full set of good FiST tires on each axle.