Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Bumping the rev limiter

Well, I was fooling around. My bad. Stability control turned off. I forgot I was in second gear and I bumped the rev limiter bad. Lost power with drum roll sound. But when I shifted up to third everything SEEMED ok. Did I hurt my FiST.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Old_pablo
Thread Starter #5
I wonder if I should put it on a computer? How does the rev limiter work. I have bumped it before, but this time really hard.

You should be fine. People here have raised their redlines to over 7k on the stock engine

OP
Old_pablo
Thread Starter #7
It lost power, as I say, but shifting into third it seemed fine. A nagging feeling that something isn’t okay as I was driving on. I will test further today.

It lost power, as I say, but shifting into third it seemed fine. A nagging feeling that something isn’t okay as I was driving on. I will test further today.

Did the car feel normal after going to 3rd gear?

OP
Old_pablo
Thread Starter #9
I left the guy I was racing like he was standing still. Would there be an idiot light if I was in limp.
?

Maybe maybe not but you would have known if it did. Running up to the rev limiter is no big deal and it doesn’t hurt anything. You could do it all day. It’s the hard cutoff set in the ECM. If you get a Cobb AccessPort and tune, launch control is a feature in which an rpm ceiling can be set at for example 3000 rpm. You keep your foot to the floor and it will make that same drumroll sound but not go above 3000 rpm until you launch. All is well

OP
Old_pablo
Thread Starter #11
Thank you. That is good to know. I have seen that downshift. Not in my car. With stability control off,FiST goes to the rev limit in second gear almost instantly. Lately I have been turning off stability control most of the time. Second childhood.

Thank you. That is good to know. I have seen that downshift. Not in my car. With stability control off,FiST goes to the rev limit in second gear almost instantly. Lately I have been turning off stability control most of the time. Second childhood.

Awesome brother! I keep ESC off all the time just so the car never has a chance to go into limp mode because of traction issues. You might need the AP, a tune and some mods if you want to keep winning [burnout]

Just a little reminder that the car can’t hit 60 mph in second gear. So keep an eye on the speedo and tach 👁 👁

Also there is no power to be found at the rpm limit in a stock car so shifting a bit earlier would be ok 👌

OP
Old_pablo
Thread Starter #15
I learned a lesson. I am thinking about an AP. I think I will buy one.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Bouncing off the rev limiter can happen when you are doing spirited driving and not completely paying attention to the tach. It does not hurt a thing as all that happens is your ign is cut and the sound is your engine basically not getting ign or fuel to rev higher.
Its just a big disconcerting as it happens suddenly and sounds a little scary first time it happens. If you watch videos of people using launch control on cars they quite often are bouncing off the rev limiter while doing launch control.