Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Buying high mileage fiestas?

Buy a ~100k mile FiST?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey guys,

So I am currently in the market for a fiesta as a daily and there are a decent amount of used ones in my area. I’m looking around and it’s looking like I’m gonna spend anywhere from 13k-15k for ones with some miles on them, which is totally fine and what I expected if not a little more. But recently there have been multiple examples with 90k miles and up that are going for as low as around $7k.

Normally most people would steer clear of such high mileage but I’m just curious. How well have other people’s fiestas held up over time? Could the extra 5k+ in savings be worth it and use some of that money to refresh things? When would the clutch or other things need replacing? I know 100k miles is 100k miles no matter the car, but maybe the fiestas are even better than what I know them to be? Just curious on the community’s thoughts and experience.

Thanks

I've bought plenty of cars with 100k+ miles on them, and (mostly) had very good luck. If you can work on them yourself, or have a cheap mechanic, I think it's definitely worth considering. I bought my FiST back in May of '19 with a rebuilt title for cheap, mostly because I knew I would be the one working on it - I saved about $6k from the other prices here in my region and I've had very minor issues to deal with. If you're comfortable with a wrench and accept the fact that some things may fail early in your ownership, I think it would be a good route to go.

Now if you have the money to spend anyway, or if you aren't going to be doing any work yourself... I probably would buy low miles and rely on the warranty (and pretty favorable service history they seem to have).

well, considering that it's a sport trim, I would be partial to buying new. clutch wear highly depends on the driver - if the driver is clueless, they can wear down most of the friction material in as little as 3,000 miles.

another variable to consider is that... since we own sport trims of this particular model, a LOT of us have done mods to our ST... but are 100% of the mods 100% safe and in the interest of longevity?

something to think about.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Do you have the ability knowledge wise to inspect it yourself properly? If not would say pay a mechanic to give it the once over. 7K is cheap. If its clean and has been maintained it could be totally worth. I have bought many very clean cars with 100k on them. I learn the cars I am into so I can inspect myself as I know what to look for.
If you have not already read up on all the known issues the cars can have and see whats been replaced. Some of this is standard shit but having the discerning eye helps as you may spot stuff most people miss.
If not go the mechanic route. I voted that it could go either way because it can its up to you to be able to see so.
Caveat Emptor

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Do exactly what Dpro has said....Bring it to an independent Garage or a place you know and trust. If the "Owner" or "Stealership" declines that ...turn around and walk as there most likely is a known issue that they don't want you to know about! Have them do a Compression check..one of the biggest ones I think! Look for the common failures..Such as....A/c actuator clicking.....Axle seals leaking....General Mods......accident check by Carfax can help identify if its been in an accident. These are all things I would do before I bought just about anything used. If there are problems found....Ask them to knock money off or give them the opportunity to repair found issues. Buying used can be a real crap shoot! Sometimes you can completely score out with a nicely modded and taken care of FiST due to some one else's inability to know what is what! [ridinghorse]

Last edited:
OP
LiftedCulture
Thread Starter #7
That extra savings may mean it doesnt have recaros, nav, sunroof, or other options checked.
Do your research and check multiple cars.
Yeah I’m definitely looking at multiple cars, but I’m honestly not worried about any options. As long as I have a working car all the options are just extras on top.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yeah I’m definitely looking at multiple cars, but I’m honestly not worried about any options. As long as I have a working car all the options are just extras on top.
Drive one with Recaros and without...When you do drive them both aggressively....Its an option a lot of people wish they would've gotten. I'm glad I did! Trust me!

OP
LiftedCulture
Thread Starter #9
Do exactly what Dpro has said....Bring it to an independent Garage or a place you know and trust. If the "Owner" or "Stealership" declines that ...turn around and walk as there most likely is a known issue that they don't want you to know about! Have them do a Compression check..one of the biggest ones I think! Look for the common failures..Such as....A/c actuator clicking.....Axle seals leaking....General Mods......accident check by Carfax can help identify if its been in an accident. These are all things I would do before I bought just about anything used. If there are problems found....Ask them to knock money off or give them the opportunity to repair found issues. Buying used can be a real crap shoot! Sometimes you can completely score out with a nicely modded and taken care of FiST due to some one else's inability to know what is what! [ridinghorse]
I’ve had a few people I know buy used and get screwed over but they were pretty uninformed. Even though I’m trying my best to do my due diligence that kinda sits in the back of my mind. So here’s to being smart and hopefully coming out the other side with some extra goodies!

OP
LiftedCulture
Thread Starter #10
Drive one with Recaros and without...When you do drive them both aggressively....Its an option a lot of people wish they would've gotten. I'm glad I did! Trust me!
I’ll def take that into consideration. I kinda just let go of the idea of recaros after one of my friends said they were uncomfortable as he’s a bigger guy and seeing as I’m bigger than him I just threw that idea out the window. I’ll still give them a try tho if I find a car with them.

OP
LiftedCulture
Thread Starter #11
well, considering that it's a sport trim, I would be partial to buying new. clutch wear highly depends on the driver - if the driver is clueless, they can wear down most of the friction material in as little as 3,000 miles.

another variable to consider is that... since we own sport trims of this particular model, a LOT of us have done mods to our ST... but are 100% of the mods 100% safe and in the interest of longevity?

something to think about.
That’s some good things to really think about and weigh out. Thanks.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I’ll def take that into consideration. I kinda just let go of the idea of recaros after one of my friends said they were uncomfortable as he’s a bigger guy and seeing as I’m bigger than him I just threw that idea out the window. I’ll still give them a try tho if I find a car with them.
They do break in eventually.

OP
LiftedCulture
Thread Starter #13
Do you have the ability knowledge wise to inspect it yourself properly? If not would say pay a mechanic to give it the once over. 7K is cheap. If its clean and has been maintained it could be totally worth. I have bought many very clean cars with 100k on them. I learn the cars I am into so I can inspect myself as I know what to look for.
If you have not already read up on all the known issues the cars can have and see whats been replaced. Some of this is standard shit but having the discerning eye helps as you may spot stuff most people miss.
If not go the mechanic route. I voted that it could go either way because it can its up to you to be able to see so.
Caveat Emptor
Yeah I have definitely been doing my due diligence in learning the car and a close friend of mine owns one as well which helps. I think it would be a great idea to get a mechanic to look at it though as I don’t want to miss something that could potentially screw me. And some of these cars look CLEAN at ~100k but it kinda feels like it goes against everything I was told looking at such high mileage cars. Lol I just need to be smart and know when I don’t know something.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I thought they would be uncomfortable to road trip in....NOPE...Drove from Mpls. Mn to Key west FL and Spartanburg Sc. ...Surprisingly long drive Comfy. I'm 5'10 170. They grew on me over time too. Now I am thankful I did as they are hard to com across used..You will see a lot of people wanting to trade Stock seats for Recaros also..But they do come up for sale every once in a blue moon. Good luck!

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Yeah I have definitely been doing my due diligence in learning the car and a close friend of mine owns one as well which helps. I think it would be a great idea to get a mechanic to look at it though as I don’t want to miss something that could potentially screw me. And some of these cars look CLEAN at ~100k but it kinda feels like it goes against everything I was told looking at such high mileage cars. Lol I just need to be smart and know when I don’t know something.
100k mile cars are not really high mileage these days. A lot of brands are engineered to run a long time with proper maintenance . I mean some brands like most German cars with be great the 1st 100k but then everything starts breaking during the next 100k because people buy them drive them like they are bullet proof but don’t pay attention to stuff and dump them around 100k . Other cars run and run and just go well over 100k without batting an eye so to speak. I have owned many Japanese cars that were still going strong at over 200k. Our cars are relatively robust so I feel if someone has maintained it properly and not trashed it it should be fine at 100k there are some guys on the forum at close to 200k. Hell I know guys that went hybrid turbos at over 150k lol and there cars are driving fine.

OP
LiftedCulture
Thread Starter #17
I've bought plenty of cars with 100k+ miles on them, and (mostly) had very good luck. If you can work on them yourself, or have a cheap mechanic, I think it's definitely worth considering. I bought my FiST back in May of '19 with a rebuilt title for cheap, mostly because I knew I would be the one working on it - I saved about $6k from the other prices here in my region and I've had very minor issues to deal with. If you're comfortable with a wrench and accept the fact that some things may fail early in your ownership, I think it would be a good route to go.

Now if you have the money to spend anyway, or if you aren't going to be doing any work yourself... I probably would buy low miles and rely on the warranty (and pretty favorable service history they seem to have).
I’m definitely comfortable working on a car as far as most stuff goes concerning the suspension, general engine stuff etc. I guess my biggest fear is something hard to get to or really important going. Mainly the clutch or god forbid something turbo related, really anything that could possibly be hard to see that it’s starting to go.

With the stoutness of the fiesta I’m pretty sure as long as a car didn’t have the absolute hell beat out it I’ll be fine. And the potential of 4, 5, 6, or even 7k of savings would be great. Just the thought of buying a high mileage car goes almost everything I was told. But I’m sure if I am smart and patient I should (hopefully) turn out alright.

OP
LiftedCulture
Thread Starter #18
100k mile cars are not really high mileage these days. A lot of brands are engineered to run a long time with proper maintenance . I mean some brands like most German cars with be great the 1st 100k but then everything starts breaking during the next 100k because people buy them drive them like they are bullet proof but don’t pay attention to stuff and dump them around 100k . Other cars run and run and just go well over 100k without batting an eye so to speak. I have owned many Japanese cars that were still going strong at over 200k. Our cars are relatively robust so I feel if someone has maintained it properly and not trashed it it should be fine at 100k there are some guys on the forum at close to 200k. Hell I know guys that went hybrid turbos at over 150k lol and there cars are driving fine.
Yeah modern cars are really tough for the most part if taken care of. I guess it’s just everything I was taught when I was younger like don’t buy used or with high mileage. All that stuff is still there in the back of my head even though as a car enthusiast that’s pretty much the opposite of what I want to do.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Turbos on these are CAKE WALK. A used OEM/Snail with low miles can be had for $175=$200. That's if you wanna stay stock! Me ...I am far far beyond that! even said I wouldn't go as far as I have and yet here I am...BT/Gen2 GTX2860....Huge Intercooler/BravoAlpha.... 3inchExhaust/Thermal....Aux. Fuel /4-port stratified..... Almost all of my parts have been bought 2nd hand from the forum. I saved a bunch of coin and applied it to more parts that I wanted. There are deals to be had...you just have to be quick on the draw!

HBEcoBeaST

As others have said, get the Carfax, get an independent inspection.

I've had my car 2.5years bought used with 24K and now it has 74k on the odometer. Most of those miles were with an E30 tune. I do cone events, canyon runs and commute to work in it. Runs solid.

My only complaint are random rattles pop up here and there in the interior that I have to sound deaden. But I have upgraded motor mounts and a sound system which don't help that cause.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk