Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

CA Fiesta Owners and Smog Checks

I was debatting getting a 3” downpipe for the fiesta but I have no clue how smog checks work for the fiesta since I’ve owned the car for 2 years and it’s my first modern car.
Would I have to keep the cat and reinstall for smog checks?
What is the smog process for newer cars like these and is it worth getting the downpipe if it’ll fail smog?

Thanks.

California extended smog exemptions to the first eight years of a car's life. Basically you just pay a fee instead of getting it smogged. The gotcha with that is if you get pulled over by CHP for some reason, they're having a bad day and don't like your exhaust, they can decide to send you to a state referee. An aftermarket downpipe will definitely fail you at a state referee. Which is not the end of the world... you just have to go back to stock and test again, but that can be expensive depending on how many things they fail you for.

That's basically it. Just be reasonable. Stick with a quality high flow catted downpipe, don't do anything that makes your car smell like gas or obnoxiously loud, and you should be good.

(I lived in California for a couple years before moving to Virginia, so I did my research on this while I was there. :) )

OP
Gk5 l15
Thread Starter #3
California extended smog exemptions to the first eight years of a car's life. Basically you just pay a fee instead of getting it smogged. The gotcha with that is if you get pulled over by CHP for some reason, they're having a bad day and don't like your exhaust, they can decide to send you to a state referee. An aftermarket downpipe will definitely fail you at a state referee. Which is not the end of the world... you just have to go back to stock and test again, but that can be expensive depending on how many things they fail you for.

That's basically it. Just be reasonable. Stick with a quality high flow catted downpipe, don't do anything that makes your car smell like gas or obnoxiously loud, and you should be good.

(I lived in California for a couple years before moving to Virginia, so I did my research on this while I was there. :) )
Thanks for the reply.
I did not know about the extension. Guess I’m in the market for a downpipe.

what affects the smell of gas? A straight down pipe or something that is high flow catted?

A straight pipe or "catless" downpipe would be the worst offender. I've also seen some cheap "catted" downpipes that smell pretty bad, but those are usually Ebay specials. Something from one of the reputable names (Cobb, Mountune, our friend Ron over at Whoosh, etc.) can give you more flow without the fumes.

SrsBsns

Yeah the extension is nice and when you need to get smogged, I know there are still places you can go to get "smogged" if you're not going to pass. I'm keeping mine relatively stock (stock turbo and down pipe) so that I don't have to worry about it down the road.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
The big deal about the catted aftermarket downpipes is they are visible under inspection. As they do not have the factory heat shield on the Cat. The only one that has any kind of heat shield on the Cat part that makes it look somewhat more stockish is the Milltek for over $600 .
Mountune‘s sports cat downpipe look very much like a stockish pipe but still does not have a heatshield. This is what a smog tech or ref would spot in a heart beat if they looked down from the top of the engine bay.
We have a member here, Koozy, that has been through the process as he got ref’d a few years back. Its either in his build thread or their is a separate thread about it in regional.

So ya what you want is make it like stock from up top as much as possible. If they look down and cannot see the cat but only a heatshield you are in a good position as most are not going to bother trying to look from underneath

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Could one somehow stainless weld a factory heat shield to an aftermarket catcon down pipe? [dunno]

These things are such pains to swap out that I really would NOT want to be doing that every year here where we have mandatory FULL inspections (with the car going into the air on a lift), especially not for NO GAINS WHATSOEVER on a factory snail!
(WHY, just to brag; "I have an aftermarket down pipe on the car"?? [???:)] )

Last edited:
OP
Gk5 l15
Thread Starter #9
Could one somehow stainless weld a factory heat shield to an aftermarket catcon down pipe? [dunno]

These things are such pains to swap out that I really would NOT want to be doing that every year here where we have mandatory FULL inspections (with the car going into the air on a lift), especially not for NO GAINS WHATSOEVER on a factory snail!
(WHY, just to brag I have an aftermarket down pipe on the car?? [???:)] )
hmm I didn’t take this into account as I have no current plans on modding the turbo just full bolt ons. I was under the impression I would see a small gain with less restriction. That and I wanted a small pops tune.:(

hmm I didn’t take this into account as I have no current plans on modding the turbo just full bolt ons. I was under the impression I would see a small gain with less restriction. That and I wanted a small pops tune.:(
Cobb does require a high flow cat for their stage 3 OTS tune... whether or not it's necessary is debatable. I was perfectly happy to stop at stage 2 on my '15, and that's likely where I'm going to stop on my '16 as well. Going with an aftermarket cat is a lot of money (figure $300 or so in labor in addition to the part, if you're not doing it yourself) for not a ton of gain if you stay on the OEM turbo.

SrsBsns

I agree with the idea that if you're keeping the stock turbo, it's not really going to be worth your time/money to go with a downpipe. But everyone should mod their cars the way that they like them. For me, it's not worth the hassle anymore and I'm very happy with my Stratifed E30 tune and the mods I have (which can't be easily seen).

OP
Gk5 l15
Thread Starter #13
I agree with the idea that if you're keeping the stock turbo, it's not really going to be worth your time/money to go with a downpipe. But everyone should mod their cars the way that they like them. For me, it's not worth the hassle anymore and I'm very happy with my Stratifed E30 tune and the mods I have (which can't be easily seen).
I’m on the same boat mod how you want not how people say but really not worth it if your spending 300 for what 3~5 hp. Full bolt ons minus downpipe for me.

Thanks guys.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Just make sure you don’t visit the smog stations where the guys use mirrors to look underneath your car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not many places do. You could easily scout the place but shit for most of us that is like 6 years off. Its the ref you have to worry about. I have not seen a ref use mirrors and yes I have been reffed before. Not on this car but with one of my 240sx’s.

As far as needing a downpipe goes you don’t technically even with a bigger turbo unless you are trying to go over 375whp. lol Its been proven one can get those numbers on a stock downpipe and exhaust. I got a Mountune Sport Cat because I wanted something to go with my Turbo upgrade. Its literally coin toss for me right now . Do the LSD now or Do the Turbo now.

OP
Gk5 l15
Thread Starter #17
Not many places do. You could easily scout the place but shit for most of us that is like 6 years off. Its the ref you have to worry about. I have not seen a ref use mirrors and yes I have been reffed before. Not on this car but with one of my 240sx’s.

As far as needing a downpipe goes you don’t technically even with a bigger turbo unless you are trying to go over 375whp. lol Its been proven one can get those numbers on a stock downpipe and exhaust. I got a Mountune Sport Cat because I wanted something to go with my Turbo upgrade. Its literally coin toss for me right now . Do the LSD now or Do the Turbo now.
I for sure have a lsd planned before the turbo. I have an extra tranny to prep for lsd while I gather the funds.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I’m on the same boat mod how you want not how people say but really not worth it if your spending 300 for what 3~5 hp. Full bolt ons minus downpipe for me.

Thanks guys.
It would not even be 3-5 whp, which is within most dyno variances anyway.

'For the sound' cannot even be used as a rationale, since an aftermarket cat back will give you that, as much as you want, depending on which one you choose. [wink]

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I for sure have a lsd planned before the turbo. I have an extra tranny to prep for lsd while I gather the funds.
Ya i did think about that finding a Tranny with like 12k on it. Current mileage for my car as it would be less downtime if the LSD was installed in the trans ahead of time and just drop and swap.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
That's SMART, as it's something this car actually needs, even with factory power levels, despite those on here claiming it's unnecessary, even with 400 WHP. <-[nono] [thumbdown]