Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Calling all hybrid turbo owners

Hello to all. I’m looking into a couple different hybrid turbos, Pumaspeed x47R or the Whoosh option hybrid. Have the needed parts to support the upgrade and follow much of the info on here for you experienced owners. They look to be both good options. Just want a little insight before making a purchase.

What are your thoughts? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Im on the same page... im wondering if i should spend the likely $2k for 75hp gain ( Cali 91 octane) or go buy a used v8 mustang...

To add on if I may, what is the difference between the Whoosh Hybrid and the Whoosh Trac-spec Hybrid? They seem to have the same specs. Is it just the color coating? If so, is the coating worth an extra $200?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Im on the same page... im wondering if i should spend the likely $2k for 75hp gain ( Cali 91 octane) or go buy a used v8 mustang...

I spent the money on a s280 it was only a hundred dollars more. lol The car flies, buying a used Mustang would be a completely different animal. Its really what you are down to priority wise. I can honestly say a Mustang will not handle like our cars do in the Canyons or on a tight road course. If all one is concerned about it is straightline speed then ya getting a V8 Mustang might be a better option. Though I have to say if I was gonna pick up another RWD car there are other options besides a V8 Mustang that would interest me.

Last edited:

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
I spent the money on a s280 it was only a hundred dollars more. lol The car flies, buying a used Mustang would be a completely different animal. Its really what you are down to priority wise. I can honestly say a Mustang will not handle like our cars do in the Canyons or on a tight road course. If all one is concerned about it is straightline speed then ya getting a V8 Mustang might be a better option. Though I have to say if I was gonna pick up another RWD car there are other options besides a V8 Mustang that would interest me.
Ive been looking at older sn95/new edge GTs (convertible at that) so i can take my son out for drive.

The FiST is great, but i can buy another car for what a turbo swap/supporting mods can end up costing. Just wondering if the cash outlay is worth the extra power for a daily driver.

The FiST is great, but i can buy another car for what a turbo swap/supporting mods can end up costing. Just wondering if the cash outlay is worth the extra power for a daily driver.
I came to the exact same conclusion @RubenZZZ . I absolutely love my fist (it is easily the most fun car I have ever had) but in my case it seemed wiser to enjoy the car in stock form and then for the hobby side of things just get another car.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Ive been looking at older sn95/new edge GTs (convertible at that) so i can take my son out for drive.

I see your points just not enamored by the choice but thats me., It’s really up to you and quite honestly slapping a bigger Turbo on a car with 13k on it was a leap of faith so to speak. I can say now I do not regret it . The car is so much fun.

I actually have another car planned for the hobby side. I do not look at my car as a hobby, I just look at it as I have improved it. lol
Its still my daily and the funny thing is If I keep my foot out of it it works fine as a daily that has a will side.

Last edited:

slopoke

Hello to all. I’m looking into a couple different hybrid turbos, Pumaspeed x47R or the Whoosh option hybrid. Have the needed parts to support the upgrade and follow much of the info on here for you experienced owners. They look to be both good options. Just want a little insight before making a purchase.

What are your thoughts? Thanks.

Before you do anything, you need to figure out what your H.P goals are. A typical hybrid depending on fuel octane and related mods, will typically net you 250 ish on 91 octane and NO aux fuel. With E30 blend using 91 octane fuel will net you 280 ish. Go with a 4 port aux fuel on E40, you should get 300 ish. The H.P numbers I referenced, was from the dyno runs my car had with the aforementioned mods.

I would go with the Whoosh hybrid. Ron Miller is a great supplier of parts and will stand behind his product. If you want more and keep the stock like torque, then the S280 would be a good choice.

One thing to keep in mind. If your state has strict rules on turbo chargers, like mine does. A hybrid will pass visual inspections, a S280 will not, due to the lack of stock location of a diverter valve (BOV).

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Before you do anything, you need to figure out what your H.P goals are. A typical hybrid depending on fuel octane and related mods, will typically net you 250 ish on 91 octane and NO aux fuel. With E30 blend using 91 octane fuel will net you 280 ish. Go with a 4 port aux fuel on E40, you should get 300 ish. The H.P numbers I referenced, was from the dyno runs my car had with the aforementioned mods.

I would go with the Whoosh hybrid. Ron Miller is a great supplier of parts and will stand behind his product. If you want more and keep the stock like torque, then the S280 would be a good choice.

One thing to keep in mind. If your state has strict rules on turbo chargers, like mine does. A hybrid will pass visual inspections, a S280 will not, due to the lack of stock location of a diverter valve (BOV).
This is true, and if was not for the fact that I do not have to do a Smog for another 5-6 years I would have opted towards the Whoosh Hybrid.
I went back and forth but then settled on the S280 I do not regret it. Though if the OP is concerned about a visual inspection no doubt the Whoosh Hybrid is the ticket.

OP
R
Thread Starter #10
Thanks for the info! My HP goal was 250-300. I’d honestly be fine with it. I’d be sticking to 92 for fuel as we don’t have the e30 around here. I’m leaning towards Whoosh and maybe there down pipe. Good to know about the emissions on the other turbo, lucky I don’t have to pay for smog/ DEQ here.

Any tune recommendations?

slopoke

Thanks for the info! My HP goal was 250-300. I’d honestly be fine with it. I’d be sticking to 92 for fuel as we don’t have the e30 around here. I’m leaning towards Whoosh and maybe there down pipe. Good to know about the emissions on the other turbo, lucky I don’t have to pay for smog/ DEQ here.

You do have E85 stations in your area. To get to your H.P goals, blending E85 to get E40 is easy. It helps to keep the detonation gremlins at bay and keep timing from being pulled.

https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/ethanol_locations.html#/find/nearest?fuel=E85&location=albany, ny

OP
R
Thread Starter #12
You do have E85 stations in your area. To get to your H.P goals, blending E85 to get E40 is easy. It helps to keep the detonation gremlins at bay and keep timing from being pulled.

https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/ethanol_locations.html#/find/nearest?fuel=E85&location=albany, ny
Thanks for the info but I’m in Albany Oregon not New York. I’ve only found a few stations and they are way out of my area.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

Just wait until you get used to that type of power...then you be looking to up the ante again! Allow room for growth if so desired.

DangerMouse

I just installed the whoosh hybrid a few months ago, but I’m already considering swapping to s280 this spring/summer. Nothing against the whoosh hybrid, i told myself 250 ish whp would be enough for me. I wasn’t being honest with myself lol. If you are even considering a turbo swap, you are always going to want more.

Just wait until you get used to that type of power..
I think no matter how much power we have, we get used to whatever it is and then somehow pine for a little bit more.......

I recall one turbo charged car I had as a hobby almost 20 years ago that started at around 180 whp and then when it was more than 3x that I still wondered if it would be just a little bit better with just a little bit more......it never ends🤪

OP
R
Thread Starter #18
I just installed the whoosh hybrid a few months ago, but I’m already considering swapping to s280 this spring/summer. Nothing against the whoosh hybrid, i told myself 250 ish whp would be enough for me. I wasn’t being honest with myself lol. If you are even considering a turbo swap, you are always going to want more.
Yeah a big decision to make. What tune are you running with it?