Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

CaptinFord's White lightning build thread

Looks perfectly HS legal to me if you haven't touvhed the front... haven't seen that one before, nice find. Installing a big sway bar is worth at least a second for me on the AX course... I'm doing the opposite as you and going from HS to STH building a second car... BTW your front crash bar for the blue car, is that STH legal?

OP
CaptinFord
Thread Starter #23
Yeah I wasn't sure if it would get away with being legal for HS or not, thanks for your input. And no the blue car is technically in a prepared class because of the carbon fiber hood and spoiler and I have the interior half way stripped out.

TemecFist

Werent you running Toyo 888r's in the blue car or at some point? If so, how do you like them compared to the Direzza's?

Thanks to TemecFist, just found this thread.

How do you like the DZ3s? Was the primary driving force to pick those over RE71Rs the ability to run 225s? Any other reasons?

Was there any weight savings for the Catback over stock?

OP
CaptinFord
Thread Starter #26
Hey guys, sorry I have been away from the forums lately. So the Toyo's would be a great tire for circuit racing, terrible for autocross. I loved the Dunlops for my autocross season last year! They still have a few runs left in them. I am at a cross roads on what tire I want to run this year. The reason I chose the Dunlops were for that exact reason, I liked the 225 ability. I have a really aggressive driving style and tend to over drive the car at times and having just a little bit wider contact pattern was worth it to me. I have thought about trying the RE71R's in the 205 setup but I'm afraid I wont like them. Weight savings for the Greddy exhaust vs Stock was slight. I didn't weigh them or anything but the Greddy system was definitely lighter which is why I chose it as well. Wasn't expecting any performance gains since you cant tune the car for H Street, it has a nice tone to it and not aggressive and doesn't drone. I daily drive the white car so it doesn't bother me. Plus I wanted to be different, everyone runs the Thermal which is cool and all, I wanted to try something else is all.

Looking at the national results, the hot new tire is the Yokohama, but there were still plenty of people doing well on the RE71. Also in the 16" sizes its only $134, then get a costco $150 off sale going and a set of 4 is pretty darn cheap. So maybe worth doing a event with your Dunlops, then get RE71s, and try them at the next event to get close to a back to back comparison.

And I keep waffling on a Catback. Without a weight savings, and no real performance increase, its just a cool/sound thing. SO instead I am looking at spending that $ on Solo Storm, as that should help make real improvements in driving.

TemecFist

Looking at the national results, the hot new tire is the Yokohama, but there were still plenty of people doing well on the RE71. Also in the 16" sizes its only $134, then get a costco $150 off sale going and a set of 4 is pretty darn cheap. So maybe worth doing a event with your Dunlops, then get RE71s, and try them at the next event to get close to a back to back comparison.

And I keep waffling on a Catback. Without a weight savings, and no real performance increase, its just a cool/sound thing. SO instead I am looking at spending that $ on Solo Storm, as that should help make real improvements in driving.
Which new Yokohama? The a048?

TemecFist

Hey guys, sorry I have been away from the forums lately. So the Toyo's would be a great tire for circuit racing, terrible for autocross. I loved the Dunlops for my autocross season last year! They still have a few runs left in them. I am at a cross roads on what tire I want to run this year. The reason I chose the Dunlops were for that exact reason, I liked the 225 ability. I have a really aggressive driving style and tend to over drive the car at times and having just a little bit wider contact pattern was worth it to me. I have thought about trying the RE71R's in the 205 setup but I'm afraid I wont like them. Weight savings for the Greddy exhaust vs Stock was slight. I didn't weigh them or anything but the Greddy system was definitely lighter which is why I chose it as well. Wasn't expecting any performance gains since you cant tune the car for H Street, it has a nice tone to it and not aggressive and doesn't drone. I daily drive the white car so it doesn't bother me. Plus I wanted to be different, everyone runs the Thermal which is cool and all, I wanted to try something else is all.
Do the Dunlops get up to temp faster? I'm looking for a good street tire. The 888r's are awesome in track, but I'm having a hard time getting them up to temp on the street during "spirited" driving. I originally thought that since they were a 100tw tires that they might come up faster. Any thoughts?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I believe the implication is their A052, which I had always viewed as a very good, longer /better wearing than the 100/50/00 tread wear gumballs, open track/circuit type tire over a winning autocross tire, but I guess not, going by the Nats results. [dunno]

TemecFist

I believe the implication is their A052, which I had always viewed as a very good, longer /better wearing than the 100/50/00 tread wear gumballs, open track/circuit type tire over a winning autocross tire, but I guess not, going by the Nats results. [dunno]
I'm gonna try the Z3 next. 215/40/17.

Yeah as M-Sport said, the A052. There is discussion that they will shag very fast on camper challenged cars (so us HS cars). They also are suppose to be the best 200 wear rain tire avaliable, so us in the NW could really benefit there. But, at $70 more per tire, I went with the RE71s. Looking at Ryan Otis nationals Focus RS results, he was 11-13th? after day 1 on RE-71s, then overnight went to the A052, finishing 3rd on Day 2, for an overall result of 4th.

Temec, whats your motivation to go to the Z3? The only Dunlop I see that was used at nationals was the last place C-street BRZ.

OP
CaptinFord
Thread Starter #33
I have heard mixed reviews on the A052 tire, Idk might be fun to go out on a limb and try a set out for the season. The dunlops worked fine for me, I was faster than the other fiesta st that was competing with me all last season and he was using the RE71R. I know driver mod had a little to do with is as well.

I have heard mixed reviews on the A052 tire, Idk might be fun to go out on a limb and try a set out for the season. The dunlops worked fine for me, I was faster than the other fiesta st that was competing with me all last season and he was using the RE71R. I know driver mod had a little to do with is as well.
Yeah all these tires are so close that you can win on any of them. I went RE-71 because they are by far the cheapst (in my 16" sizes). I ran Rivals last year on my Corvette in 315/35R18, and they worked great in the hotter summer days, and were worthless on the cooler spring/fall days. They loved the heat, where others were spraying and trying to cool their RE-71s down, the Rivals kept getting better.

TemecFist

Yeah as M-Sport said, the A052. There is discussion that they will shag very fast on camper challenged cars (so us HS cars). They also are suppose to be the best 200 wear rain tire avaliable, so us in the NW could really benefit there. But, at $70 more per tire, I went with the RE71s. Looking at Ryan Otis nationals Focus RS results, he was 11-13th? after day 1 on RE-71s, then overnight went to the A052, finishing 3rd on Day 2, for an overall result of 4th.

Temec, whats your motivation to go to the Z3? The only Dunlop I see that was used at nationals was the last place C-street BRZ.
The reason I'm looking at the Z3 is for a street tire, not a comp tire. I run the Toyo at the track (I dont do AX) and I'm really happy with it, but on the street, it's very hard to get it up to temp on our late night "testing" runs, the best I could ever get it was 143* (on a cool night), so I'm looking for something that has instant "stickiness". The Toyo is a great track tire, but it requires a little heat in it, where as something like an Re-71r is great right from the beginning, but would become greasy on an open track.
As for the A052, it seems like they like alot of camber (which I have), and the sidewalls need alot of psi to keep them from rolling over (not as if that's bad or anything, but makes for a stiff ride) but they are pretty expensive for a street tire that might get 10k miles out of them. The Fiesta isnt my daily driver, just a fun track toy, so that helps as well. I wouldnt mind trying the Nankang Ar1 on the track also.

Last edited:
The reason I'm looking at the Z3 is for a street tire, not a comp tire. I run the Toyo at the track (I dont do AX) and I'm really happy with it, but on the street, it's very hard to get it up to temp on our late night "testing" runs, the best I could ever get it was 143* (on a cool night), so I'm looking for something that has instant "stickiness". The Toyo is a great track tire, but it requires a little heat in it, where as something like an Re-71r is great right from the beginning, but would become greasy on an open track.
As for the A052, it seems like they like alot of camber (which I have), and the sidewalls need alot of psi to keep them from rolling over (not as if that's bad or anything, but makes for a stiff ride) but they are pretty expensive for a street tire that might get 10k miles out of them. The Fiesta isnt my daily driver, just a fun track toy, so that helps as well. I wouldnt mind trying the Nankang Ar1 on the track also.
Ah, yeah since OP was talking about HS tires, I assumed that's what you were talking about also. The Z3 is a great choice then. We ran the Star Spec in Chumpcar and they worked great and lasted for a full 24 hour race.

TemecFist

Ah, yeah since OP was talking about HS tires, I assumed that's what you were talking about also. The Z3 is a great choice then. We ran the Star Spec in Chumpcar and they worked great and lasted for a full 24 hour race.
Awesome. Thanks for the input. How were they about getting up to temp?

TemecFist

well in a 24 hour race there is plenty of time for them to get up to temp, and they didnt overheat and get greasy, so the perfect endurance track tire.
Awesome. I'm more trying to get them up to temp as quickly as possible....which is why I was thinking AX tire.

Have you looked at the Rivals? They can handle way more heat then the RE71, and get stickier at those higher temps. They are not instantly as good as the RE71, but after... 3min of use they are sticky. If cold/wet then forget that though.