Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Car at dealer for 10 weeks over warranty issue, came back worse?

Brought my car in on Sept 30 of this year for a transmission output shaft bearing issue
Car would make a weird whine when you step on the accelerator under load (particularly at highway speeds), seems like a few members have had that issue here as well
After 2 months of waiting for that bearing to no avail, Ford(?) approved a new transmission replacement altogether
Pick up the car on Dec 10 and before I even leave I notice the shifter is all messed up and point it out to the service advisor
Essentially first and second are basically a hair left of neutral, going into 6th from 5th is also difficult and 50% of the time you just can't find 6th

The best way I can describe it is this pic below (red is where 1/2 are now)

He suggested that I try it out for a bit and if it proves to be a problem I can bring it back,
he's been pretty helpful so far and I've been happy to deal with him
but after an hour or so of driving and not being able to find 1st 40-50% of the time I realized this was becoming a bit of a safety issue

When I got home on the 10th I decided to look over my dashcam footage and realized that EVERYONE at the dealership was having trouble with this gearbox
Here is a a video (video taken down as per service advisor's request) I compiled and trimmed down to 15 seconds worth of dealership staff complaining about it, all in all there were about 6 different drivers who expressed their frustration with it out loud.
After seeing this I was pretty pissed that this car was handed back to me in this shape. While the whining noise was annoying it didn't really affect the drive-ability of the car and the car feels less safe than when I dropped it off.
I emailed the service advisor and we scheduled to bring it back on Dec 15 (Tuesday) and they will have a rental car set up for me as they're out of courtesy cars
My question is what should I advise the tech to look at to resolve this issue?/How long should this repair take?

*for the record everything with my shifter is stock, even the knob. I purchased a short shift kit on Black Friday but obviously didn't have my car back so I haven't installed it yet...

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Quick question. My car recently had the transmission replaced for the same issue. I was getting the whine in all gears under load like you.

My new transmission still does the whine in 4th and 5th. I had such a bad experience with the dealer and waited quite awhile so I'm not even bringing it back. I'll learn to live with it.

Does yours still whine at all?

^^ I would like to know this as well. Mine is going in on Tues for the same issue. 3rd time to the dealer and Ford is sending out an engineer to look at it. 45mph+ at slight tip in 3rd-6th gears.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
There is an adjustment sequence they can do to the shifter linkage on the trans that may help. I'd expect that to be something Ford techs know about, but its not an F-150 with a V8 engine, its a fwd turbo car, so they prob have no idea wtf the car is... They prob sat around the break room daily trying to figure out a way to blame your issue on an air filter or catback or intercooler, ANYTHING to quote you a non-warranty insane price so you'd take it somewhere else...

Heck, just make sure they reinstalled the cables/locks into the right slots correctly. It sounds like they forgot or left a pack of chew in there.

If you haven't had a chance yet, I'd follow these instructions to get to the shift linkage and as someone else mentioned, make sure the cables are secured into the bracket by pulling the locking collars towards the front of the car and pushing them down into the bracket. Boomba trans adapter install: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=194vuftHHgA

Here is a video I did of proper trans linkage operation. I have the adapter in place, but your should be similar minus the adapter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFq7od0tKbw . The cable closest to the camera is operated by moving the shift lever left and right...the one you are having problems with. The cable furthest, and moving the most, is the cable operated by the shift lever being moved forward and back.

Finally, there is a procedure for adjusting the cables that involves putting the shift lever in 4th gear, then releasing the yellow locking collar/ring, then replacing that piece. I don't have the details but it's on the forum here somewhere. EDIT: here: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...-Vehicles-With-6-Speed-Manual-Transmission-B6

OP
justinsane
Thread Starter #10
If you haven't had a chance yet, I'd follow these instructions to get to the shift linkage and as someone else mentioned, make sure the cables are secured into the bracket by pulling the locking collars towards the front of the car and pushing them down into the bracket. Boomba trans adapter install: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=194vuftHHgA

Here is a video I did of proper trans linkage operation. I have the adapter in place, but your should be similar minus the adapter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFq7od0tKbw . The cable closest to the camera is operated by moving the shift lever left and right...the one you are having problems with. The cable furthest, and moving the most, is the cable operated by the shift lever being moved forward and back.

Finally, there is a procedure for adjusting the cables that involves putting the shift lever in 4th gear, then releasing the yellow locking collar/ring, then replacing that piece. I don't have the details but it's on the forum here somewhere. EDIT: here: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...-Vehicles-With-6-Speed-Manual-Transmission-B6
Thanks Joe, I will bring that up when I drop off the car!

I'd advise looking into it yourself before handing it off to them again. It's not a difficult-to-get-to spot. Maybe an hour to get everything out of the way. Longer if you aren't mechanically inclined.

Brought my car in on Sept 30 of this year for a transmission output shaft bearing issue
Car would make a weird whine when you step on the accelerator under load (particularly at highway speeds), seems like a few members have had that issue here as well
After 2 months of waiting for that bearing to no avail, Ford(?) approved a new transmission replacement altogether
Pick up the car on Dec 10 and before I even leave I notice the shifter is all messed up and point it out to the service advisor
Essentially first and second are basically a hair left of neutral, going into 6th from 5th is also difficult and 50% of the time you just can't find 6th

The best way I can describe it is this pic below (red is where 1/2 are now)

He suggested that I try it out for a bit and if it proves to be a problem I can bring it back,
he's been pretty helpful so far and I've been happy to deal with him
but after an hour or so of driving and not being able to find 1st 40-50% of the time I realized this was becoming a bit of a safety issue

When I got home on the 10th I decided to look over my dashcam footage and realized that EVERYONE at the dealership was having trouble with this gearbox
Here is a video I compiled and trimmed down to 15 seconds worth of dealership staff complaining about it, all in all there were about 6 different drivers who expressed their frustration with it out loud.
After seeing this I was pretty pissed that this car was handed back to me in this shape. While the whining noise was annoying it didn't really affect the drive-ability of the car and the car feels less safe than when I dropped it off.
I emailed the service advisor and we scheduled to bring it back on Dec 15 (Tuesday) and they will have a rental car set up for me as they're out of courtesy cars
My question is what should I advise the tech to look at to resolve this issue?/How long should this repair take?

*for the record everything with my shifter is stock, even the knob. I purchased a short shift kit on Black Friday but obviously didn't have my car back so I haven't installed it yet...
Hey justinsane,

Have you had a chance to reach out to my coworkers over at [MENTION=1539]FordServiceCA[/MENTION]? They're in the best position to assist with this.

Quick question. My car recently had the transmission replaced for the same issue. I was getting the whine in all gears under load like you.

My new transmission still does the whine in 4th and 5th. I had such a bad experience with the dealer and waited quite awhile so I'm not even bringing it back. I'll learn to live with it.

Does yours still whine at all?
Hey frankiefiesta,

Have you considered getting a second opinion from a different dealership regarding the noise you're experiencing? If you decide to schedule an appointment for diagnosis, please let me know, and I'll see how I can help.

^^ I would like to know this as well. Mine is going in on Tues for the same issue. 3rd time to the dealer and Ford is sending out an engineer to look at it. 45mph+ at slight tip in 3rd-6th gears.
Hey NJBooST,

Thanks for posting about your concern. Please PM your name, VIN, current mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number, and I'll look over some resources on my end to see how I can help.

Nick

Thanks Nick [MENTION=582]FordService[/MENTION], I'm going to wait to see what the dealer comes up with before I bump it up to you.

OP
justinsane
Thread Starter #14
Hey justinsane,

Have you had a chance to reach out to my coworkers over at [MENTION=1539]FordServiceCA[/MENTION]? They're in the best position to assist with this.

Hey frankiefiesta,

Have you considered getting a second opinion from a different dealership regarding the noise you're experiencing? If you decide to schedule an appointment for diagnosis, please let me know, and I'll see how I can help.

Hey NJBooST,

Thanks for posting about your concern. Please PM your name, VIN, current mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number, and I'll look over some resources on my end to see how I can help.

Nick
Hi Nick, thanks they reached out to me on twitter but the issue has been resolved! Car is shifting fine now
The service advisor asked me to take down the video as some of their staff were upset that I shared it so I've removed that link.

twolf

Hi Nick, thanks they reached out to me on twitter but the issue has been resolved! Car is shifting fine now
The service advisor asked me to take down the video as some of their staff were upset that I shared it so I've removed that link.
Does it still whine? Can you PM me the video?

Thanks Nick [MENTION=582]FordService[/MENTION], I'm going to wait to see what the dealer comes up with before I bump it up to you.
Sounds good, NJBooST; I'll be here if you need me! :)

Glad to read the issue has been resolved, justinsane. Now, go enjoy that ST! :)

Nick

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
I would've left the video. Some of these service dept's are a joke and need to be exposed. Ford really should have a better training/review system of who is working on these cars.

I voiced how I felt about the dealer I dealt with and it fell on deaf ears. I don't plan on bringing my car in for another opinion. The next closest ford dealer originally wanted me to wait a month before they looked at my car! Ha what a joke

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
What we deal with, times 1,000 for almost every single focus owner with that god awful ford DSG trans. Its like it can not be fixed because its just not a working unit. And yet, somehow... Know knows about it unless your at the ford dealer for the 8,000th time getting repaired or replaced. I'm wondering.... What is going to happen to those owners when those cars are sold with warranties and they get handed a $7,000 repair bill for a car they have owned for 91 days.... I feel like that car should be on the news or something. The dsg in the fiesta isn't as bad with issues, but the focus is so so bad. Its a shame too, because the NA focus is a nice car and its NOT SLOW.