Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

car holding rpm at 1500 when shifting into neutral

Today I shifted into neutral when coming up to a stop sign, the revs dropped but then stopped at 1500 rpm and sat there for a few seconds, then continued down. This now happens every time I shift into neutral. The car is stock, with 42,000 miles. Anyone know what this issue is?

OP
ColoradoST
Thread Starter #2
I should also add that I am at 7500 feet elevation (2500 feet more than the car is "used" to).

Today I shifted into neutral when coming up to a stop sign, the revs dropped but then stopped at 1500 rpm and sat there for a few seconds, then continued down. This now happens every time I shift into neutral. The car is stock, with 42,000 miles. Anyone know what this issue is?
When up shifting, the ecu will set the revs for the next gear. If you are shifting down from any gear other than 6th, it will hang for a few seconds to sync with the next higher gear. If no higher gear is selected, it will drop to idle.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

OP
ColoradoST
Thread Starter #7
Why did I just notice this now? Normally when I shift into neutral, or press the clutch in it will instantly drop to around 1000 rpm.

OP
ColoradoST
Thread Starter #8
More info : I am driving at around 4000 rpm and shift to neutral, the rpms don't lower for about 5 seconds then procced to lowering very slowly.

OP
ColoradoST
Thread Starter #9
Car seems to be running better, at a lower elevation.

It's normal, mine does it too, and its bone stock. Kinda trippy though when you come from the world of low tech manual cars.

Zissou

When up shifting, the ecu will set the revs for the next gear. If you are shifting down from any gear other than 6th, it will hang for a few seconds to sync with the next higher gear. If no higher gear is selected, it will drop to idle.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
I geeked out the day I figured that out. Spent most of the drive playing around with up shifting and seeing how long it holds rpm.