Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

CARB Certs for 2017+

Is anyone aware of a comprehensive list of CARB certifications for aftermarket FiST parts?
I've got a 2017 in SoCal and I'm beginning to discover just how few hard parts are CARB certified for the later years. Every tuner appears to have stopped w/ their support at 2016.

Mountune has responded to me and explicitly stated they are done w/ CARB and Ford Performance Warranty from here on out for the FiST.
This is the quote (the kit in question is their MP215):
At this point I wouldn't wait for the kit. I have never received an update on it and considering the 2017 models will soon approach the 3 year mark it won't be worth it for most.

No more Ford approved parts should be expected for the Fiesta ST.

We did obtain CARB approval for some parts including 2364-BHK-BLK (Boost Hose Kit), 2364-HP-AA (Hard Pipe), 2364-IC-BA1 (Tube and Fin Intercooler), 2364-IC-BA2 (Bar and Plate Intercooler).
Cobb has responded w/:
This is something that we are working towards with the 17 - 19 years. Unfortunately, we don't have an exact ETA at this time for when that will be available. Sorry for the bad news.
Mishimoto's parts have CARB EO's right up until 2016 and then stop.

Anyone else struggling w/ this? New buyers in California, I'd recommend looking at used 2016's at this point.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Time to move....like to Nevada! Or Texas....just saying!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Mikey456

Don’t worry so much about the CARB EO parts.
1. We have 6 or so years before the car needs to be smogged.
2. Keep all the stock parts around
3. Buy a Accessport and panel filter that you can revert back to stock. You might want to buy one step colder spark plugs if the tune recommends it.
4 Do your research on the forum.

OP
ToastAutoX
Thread Starter #4
Don’t worry so much about the CARB EO parts.
1. We have 6 or so years before the car needs to be smogged.
2. Keep all the stock parts around
3. Buy a Accessport and panel filter that you can revert back to stock. You might want to buy one step colder spark plugs if the tune recommends it.
4 Do your research on the forum.
Yeah, I wanted to get all my hard parts sorted before paying for a tune. I'd like to avoid having to reset the car's hard parts for smog, my hobbies change around and I don't wanna be forced to pick up a wrench to get it through emissions when the time comes.

Plans are currently a FMIC and an ST200 airbox + filter, possibly a catback. But everything I've researched has pointed to the air intake hardpipe being the key bottleneck for the intake assembly, and I've yet to find a CARB EO for one.

Brianmc27

Yeah, I wanted to get all my hard parts sorted before paying for a tune. I'd like to avoid having to reset the car's hard parts for smog, my hobbies change around and I don't wanna be forced to pick up a wrench to get it through emissions when the time comes.

Plans are currently a FMIC and an ST200 airbox + filter, possibly a catback. But everything I've researched has pointed to the air intake hardpipe being the key bottleneck for the intake assembly, and I've yet to find a CARB EO for one.
Where did you see that about the intake? It’s pretty well established that the intake is almost a non-factor for performance upgrades.

OP
ToastAutoX
Thread Starter #6
Admittedly I've pulled that info from aftermarket manufacturers and a few tidbits from threads on here.
For that first point, pretty much every 'stage 2' upgrade package from these tuners includes induction overhauls. See mountune MR230 and COBB Stage 2.
COBB calls out in their intake package that the stock airbox is fine, and the earlier tuners who were just drilling big CAI holes in the bottom of theirs sorta points to that. Then there's threads where people are upgrading the intake hardpipe w/ considerable dyno #s to back up their choice, though I'm struggling to find it and link it now.

Edit: here's 1.

Edit 2: honestly, dizzy's statement here makes me rethink this whole intake discussion...

Last edited:

HBEcoBeaST

I passed smog running a non carb intake and a tune. They just do a readiness check so as long as you're running a defouler you can pass. Pay only if you pass stations are your friend

Getting state reffed and doing an inspection sucks and you need to be all carb or OEM legal

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I've spoken to Mountune about the MR230 requirements and the factory airbox and hose will function well at this level of tune, the only change needed is to install a K&N or similar filter in the factory location. Considering what a PITA getting the factory airbox out is many will find keeping it in place is a positive. BTW, no need to add a secondary inlet, the factory original inlet works fine up to the point where you install a higher capacity turbo.

What is essential for the MR230 kit is a high flow intake filter, the intercooler kit, and an Accessport. I'll also point out that a larger radiator is also adviseable because keeping the engine at the optimum operating temperature is key to making consistent power. If you want to build an Ice Racer then feel free to just get the Air Filter Accessport and go to town. Because at 20 degrees F or less you really don't need the extra cooling capacity of the intercooler and larger radiator.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I feel you are over thinking this. Having a crossover pipe on the intake will not effect smog in any way shape or form. It will mostly be overlooked by a smog tech if its black,
As will a ST200 air box as it looks stock. The intake tube may or may not catch the eye.
Intercoolers unless the tech is a completely ass or you have been reffed again will get overlooked. I know guys that passed tests with non stock turbos with heat shields over them,.
Two things mentioned earlier 1, they only plug you into the computer and do a system complete check aka all sensors reading. 2. We now have 8 years yes they extended it, depending on the age of your car i.e. when it was purchased. Anything 17 and on falls into this.
So basically one can have a field day under the hood performance wise and not really worry that much as long as they keep their stock parts around.
I should add that most stock bolt ons are not going to get you big gains on cars .

The two main things that give you go are an access port with a tune(completely not carb legal) and a turbo upgrade again a no fly with carb.
Though who cares you have years and if you keep your stock parts you can always put them back on.
Intercooler upgrade, accessport are the most beneficial parts for you and a upgraded radiator especially living in SoCal where it can get hot.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
The mounting location of the MAS and anything after it is subject.
It is true that if the smog tech does not recognize it as altered then you are in luck.
An intercooler will never be an item to be worried about because they are exempted excepted on diesels.

My suggestion, if you are worried, would be to go to a station that offers a pre-test, yes you will need to pay but no record is kept in the system.
If the car passes the pre-test, then ask the same tech to do the full test.

OP
ToastAutoX
Thread Starter #11
Thanks for your notes everyone, particular about pay-if-you-pass stations.
Gonna just stick to a high flow filter, a FMIC, and then tune it.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Thanks for your notes everyone, particular about pay-if-you-pass stations.
Gonna just stick to a high flow filter, a FMIC, and then tune it.
The only thing wrong with "Pass or Don't Pay" or "Pas or Free Retest" (as we used to call it) is that the first test is a certified test and goes in to the state system.
A very good choice if your car is not modified in anyway.
If you are nor sure then a Pre-Test might be the best option.

If you stick to your mod plan, you should be OK, just remove the tune and do a drive cycle to reset all monitors first.
As you may find however, mods are addictive.
Good luck.

Is anyone aware of a comprehensive list of CARB certifications for aftermarket FiST parts?
I've got a 2017 in SoCal and I'm beginning to discover just how few hard parts are CARB certified for the later years. Every tuner appears to have stopped w/ their support at 2016.

Mountune has responded to me and explicitly stated they are done w/ CARB and Ford Performance Warranty from here on out for the FiST.

Cobb has responded w/:

Anyone else struggling w/ this? New buyers in California, I'd recommend looking at used 2016's at this point.
I'm in socal too, I went with the <2016 mishimoto and purchased the <2016 FoMoCo evap harness to go with it. That way I could stay with factory parts AND get the carb sticker.

The swap is easy and the part is only like $65-75 from the stealership.

Then you can buy any intake that is for <2016 that has the carb cert.

All the needed parts are on Whoosh's site, Ron would help if you had any questions I'm sure.

TemecFist

Cobb has responded w/:

Mountune didnt drop Ford......Ford dropped Mountune. Lol

OP
ToastAutoX
Thread Starter #15
FSWerks let me know that COBB is apparently in the process of CARB cert-ing their latest intake. Expecting stickers sometime toward the middle of this year.

OP
ToastAutoX
Thread Starter #16
Mountune didnt drop Ford......Ford dropped Mountune. Lol
Certainly when it comes to the '17 yeah, the codes took too long. But Mountune themselves said CARB cert "wouldn't be worth it for most". Honestly the way I see it, whichever tuner steps up their CARB compliance for the later years first will get a fair bit of business, especially as we start hitting the 6 year mark.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Admittedly I've pulled that info from aftermarket manufacturers and a few tidbits from threads on here.
For that first point, pretty much every 'stage 2' upgrade package from these tuners includes induction overhauls. See mountune MR230 and COBB Stage 2.
COBB calls out in their intake package that the stock airbox is fine, and the earlier tuners who were just drilling big CAI holes in the bottom of theirs sorta points to that. Then there's threads where people are upgrading the intake hardpipe w/ considerable dyno #s to back up their choice, though I'm struggling to find it and link it now.

Edit: here's 1.

Edit 2: honestly, dizzy's statement here makes me rethink this whole intake discussion...
Yes the bottom line is that crossover's and other intakes definitely add some torque, it's exhaust that had zero gains.. you are definitely fine with a drop in, IC and tune for now. Then look at upper engine mount inserts, they help a ton with torque steer.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Certainly when it comes to the '17 yeah, the codes took too long. But Mountune themselves said CARB cert "wouldn't be worth it for most". Honestly the way I see it, whichever tuner steps up their CARB compliance for the later years first will get a fair bit of business, especially as we start hitting the 6 year mark.
Honestly the numbers are not large enough for most vendors to bother. A CARB EO# requires cert and 10k per year paid to CARB for the E.O. With Ford no longer selling the car and the total sold coming in around 10k manufactured, it does not make sense for a vendor to bother. It’s why Mountune no longer bothers with cert on the MP215. There are some Mountune parts for 2017-2019 with CARB certs. I have them on my 2018. I have the cert numbers on a printed out sheet in my glove compartment.

Last edited:

TemecFist

Honestly the numbers are not large enough for most vendors to bother a CARB EO# requires cert and 10k per year paid to CARB for the E.O. With Ford no longer selling the car and the total sold coming in around 10k manufactured it does not make sense for a vendor to bother its why Mountune no longer bothers with cert on the MP215. There are some Mountune parts for 2017-2019 with CARB certs. I have them on my 2018. I have the cert numbers on a printed out sheet in my glove compartment.
Here in Commiefornia, the smog ref checks those carb certs on a database, so if the cert was for a 2014-2016 and you happen to have a 2017....you fail. Ask me how I know. Lol

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Here in Commiefornia, the smog ref checks those carb certs on a database, so if the cert was for a 2014-2016 and you happen to have a 2017....you fail. Ask me how I know. Lol
Ya I know my Certs are the last ones Mountune got they actually did them for 2017-18 in in early 18.