Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cars Won't Make You Happy

Business6

Lol what are you guys even talking about? Social media has to go? Maybe learn to live with, or apparently, without it? Stop using it as a scapegoat for other problems you refuse to address.

Any community whether its cars, watches or gardens has a dick measuring contest. If people aren't flaunting money then they're flaunting time. The worst offenders always make themselves known so it's easy to ignore them.

But if you're a grown ass adult and still get wrapped up in what other people think then guess who's to blame? It isn't social media. People's dependency on validation and keeping up with the Joneses existed long before social media and cars.

Which leads me to say that yes, cars make me happy. It's an expression and extension of me and the element of freedom and introspection that I find with driving. I look forward to driving to work, from work, to the grocery store or anywhere else; every single drive I am excited to get behind the wheel. I find stuff to enjoy about it each trip. Unless my back pain is flaring up or it's a gassy day because that's awful to deal with in a car.

Also, this forum is social media. Deleting a facebook or twitter account hasn't removed you from what you're complaining about.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
My wife and I have this conversation frequently.. Social media has ruined the world. Has made many of us think the pinnacle of life is to make others think we have a perfect life even though those with the most "perfect" looking social media accounts certainly don't. Deleting social media was one of the best decisions I've made.

Also - Highly recommend reading "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck" by Mark Manson which puts things in great perspective.

That said, my car does make me happy although I'm not a professional driver. As does recently hitting a 500 lb. deadlift although I'm not a bodybuilder and my new xbox even though I'm not a pro gamer. Not because I want validation from anyone or because physical objects make me happy, but because what I do with them makes me happy. I love to drive, lift, and get screamed at when I kill people in warzone. All put a smile on my face!
I read a ton. Too many people have forgotten the art of reading. Filling one's mind with knowledge from different perspectives goes a long way to combating the nonsense we are all constantly fed through our shiny lil screens. Find yourself in books, not "stuff".

I read mostly self help eye opening types but also finance and the occasional IT reference. The "Subtle Art..." has been on my list for a while! I try to always have a book queued up in Kindle. May I recommend "The Wealthy Gardener" by John Soforic. I just finished "Ten Arguments For Deleting Social Media Accounts Right Now" by Jaron Lanier which exposes the dark, premeditated intent of social media. And I'm working my way through "Reclaim Conversation" by Sherry Turkle which has been very good so far, speaking on how our phones have become an escape from face-to-face interaction. Really sad actually...

I got off Facebook back in 2016. That election really made clear to me the wicked and dishonorable haven it had become. I lost friends over it. Those last two books I listed convinced me to also ween myself off of Instagram. I've absolutely noticed the "me" in my mind returning. I recommend to all my friends and family to just try to put it down for a whole day. If you can't, you're an addict and should really consider reading and exploring your mind outside of the unrealistic definitions (and expectations) of social media. It's a powerful mind fuck that we should all take a few steps away from. History will condemn us all for this addiction...that is if there's anyone around that can still read or write in full sentences lol

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I read a ton. Too many people have forgotten the art of reading. Filling one's mind with knowledge from different perspectives goes a long way to combating the nonsense we are all constantly fed through our shiny lil screens. Find yourself in books, not "stuff".

I read mostly self help eye opening types but also finance and the occasional IT reference. The "Subtle Art..." has been on my list for a while! I try to always have a book queued up in Kindle. May I recommend "The Wealthy Gardener" by John Soforic. I just finished "Ten Arguments For Deleting Social Media Accounts Right Now" by Jaron Lanier which exposes the dark, premeditated intent of social media. And I'm working my way through "Reclaim Conversation" by Sherry Turkle which has been very good so far, speaking on how our phones have become an escape from face-to-face interaction. Really sad actually...

I got off Facebook back in 2016. That election really made clear to me the wicked and dishonorable haven it had become. I lost friends over it. Those last two books I listed convinced me to also ween myself off of Instagram. I've absolutely noticed the "me" in my mind returning. I recommend to all my friends and family to just try to put it down for a whole day. If you can't, you're an addict and should really consider reading and exploring your mind outside of the unrealistic definitions (and expectations) of social media. It's a powerful mind fuck that we should all take a few steps away from. History will condemn us all for this addiction...that is if there's anyone around that can still read or write in full sentences lol
Did you watch the social dilemma on Netflix if so how did you feel about it?

https://deadline.com/2021/01/the-so...ocumentary-interview-news-1234678324/#respond

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #24
Lol what are you guys even talking about? Social media has to go? Maybe learn to live with, or apparently, without it? Stop using it as a scapegoat for other problems you refuse to address.

Any community whether its cars, watches or gardens has a dick measuring contest. If people aren't flaunting money then they're flaunting time. The worst offenders always make themselves known so it's easy to ignore them.

But if you're a grown ass adult and still get wrapped up in what other people think then guess who's to blame? It isn't social media. People's dependency on validation and keeping up with the Joneses existed long before social media and cars.

Which leads me to say that yes, cars make me happy. It's an expression and extension of me and the element of freedom and introspection that I find with driving. I look forward to driving to work, from work, to the grocery store or anywhere else; every single drive I am excited to get behind the wheel. I find stuff to enjoy about it each trip. Unless my back pain is flaring up or it's a gassy day because that's awful to deal with in a car.

Also, this forum is social media. Deleting a facebook or twitter account hasn't removed you from what you're complaining about.
Thank you for this, so well said.

Sort of like gun control. Remove the guns, we'd still kill each other. Cain found a rock on the ground and used it to crush his brother's skull. The issue is within us, not around us. Take away ways and means to kill people or ways and means to do all the awful things I could do on social media, there's still rot in my soul ready to vomit out. I'll find a way.

To me the thing here is awareness and that starts with me. Yes, it's a circus, and I should stay out of it, but ultimately it's not about how awful the websites or YouTubers or whatever are and how they propagate this stuff. It's my problem, I need to deal with it in my heart and then not judge/blame/hate other people doing the same thing.

That's where Jesus comes in, but that's a whole other conversation.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Did you watch the social dilemma on Netflix if so how did you feel about it?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
I did and it scared the shit out of me. I have children so it really struck home. I was already working my way away from social media for my own sanity but the children should be the focus of our angst. imo this digital generation is losing what it means to be human. Period.

Thank you for this, so well said.

Sort of like gun control. Remove the guns, we'd still kill each other. Cain found a rock on the ground and used it to crush his brother's skull. The issue is within us, not around us. Take away ways and means to kill people or ways and means to do all the awful things I could do on social media, there's still rot in my soul ready to vomit out. I'll find a way.

To me the thing here is awareness and that starts with me. Yes, it's a circus, and I should stay out of it, but ultimately it's not about how awful the websites or YouTubers or whatever are and how they propagate this stuff. It's my problem, I need to deal with it in my heart and then not judge/blame/hate other people doing the same thing.

That's where Jesus comes in, but that's a whole other conversation.
Yes and no. While the inherent ails of humanity will exist and be exploited no matter the medium, social media amplifies it to level never before seen in human history. The darkest corners of the human psyche now have a outlet that can reach millions of peope in a literal split second. Opinions shift between breathes for countless people. The truth dependent on which echo chamber you subscribe to. How does any dissenting voice of positivity, be it religion or what have you, make a noticeable dent against this torrent.

Of course, people have a choice...but is it a choice they can comfortably exercise? In a world that is fast becoming less in touch with each other, exiting social media may mean for many stepping away from the only contact they have with others. Remember, the death of (voice) conversation is very real. The peer pressure to remain connected is tangible in almost every social circle i encounter."What's ur gram bro?", "Just DM me".... Doubly so for teenagers and young adults whom only ever known life through a shiny lil screen. I won't get into a diatribe but i encourage everyone to start reading up on the subject of social media and how it is painfully shifting the human dynamic in some very abhorrent & duplicitous ways. I predict we will continue to further splinter, as everyone subscribes to the never-ending plethora of unique echo chambers.

It really does concern me on a daily basis. And as you said, awareness starts within. It's up to each of us to make the change, look back towards our humanity, look inward for guidance.

Last edited:

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Here is the Social Media joke......you have 2387 "Friends"........and don't know any of them. You live for "likes" because real people don't like you. Facebook went the way of the Dodo bird 8 months ago for me, I joined as a way of staying in touch and swap pics with my far flung family. Have never done any other media. I find it so funny that people make such fools of themselves on social media. If you are dumb as dirt don't tell the world with ignorant opinions. The scams and ads also ran me off, censorship was another reason to bail.

Ford Community Posts