Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cat-Back Just For Sound

Hey Guys,

So spending hours reading and asking and watching video's it seems on a stock Fiesta ST or one with just a few mods that a catback exhaust does nothing but give it more sound? I have also heard (youtube) guys have removed he muffler and leave the resonator which to be honest sounds really good. So for those that have just removed the muffler do you have drone, is there a reason I shouldn't do this and get a full catback?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Lots of users say there’s minimal drone, so here’s hoping. Even the exhaust guru @Clint Beastwood says he didn’t see the usual drone resonance.

It’s going on this week for me, so hopefully I’ll have some positive results.
Ya but he has never used a Flowmaster on our cars. He has done a few other brands. He even admits it bears further investigation. Seriously man I wish you luck but would be a tad surprised given the design of the system. It would be magical and he again said that as well.
I actually liked the sound of the flowmaster from clips but clips are so not accurate. They are from either a cell phone mic or a small positioned mic. My Thermal sounds much better than any of the vids posted about them. It does not sound bad in the vids but in real life its different.

Brianmc27

Ya but he has never used a Flowmaster on our cars. He has done a few other brands. He even admits it bears further investigation. Seriously man I wish you luck but would be a tad surprised given the design of the system. It would be magical and he again said that as well.
I actually liked the sound of the flowmaster from clips but clips are so not accurate. They are from either a cell phone mic or a small positioned mic. My Thermal sounds much better than any of the vids posted about them. It does not sound bad in the vids but in real life its different.
It came down to the Thermal and the Flowmaster for me, the Flowmaster just sounded a little rowdier, so the teenage boy that is still within me pulled the trigger on that one. That mixed with the fact that I found it for under $470 brand new made it an easy buy.

I rarely drive on the freeway, so drone would not be much of an issue for me if it happens to be there.

No drone in my Flowmaster.
I understand why that's hard to believe, I've had V8's with flowmasters in the past and they all droned like crazy. So I get it. But they did a good job with this one. The muffler and resonator combo work very well together. My symposer was far more annoying

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I have a fswerks exhaust and I can't detect any drone. I'm sure its there if you used a device to pick up the frequency but I can't detect it. I've had exhaust systems with noticeable drone. My daily driver has an exhaust system with drone but damn it sounds good outside of that range.

To each their own. The music I play at full blast in my ears is going to do more harm than anything. Or flying in airplanes were I lost my hearing in my left ear for 6 weeks.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Might be worth waiting to see what Ron puts out, I haven’t zero idea what he’s done with the whoosh exhaust, and I’ve been fishing for details :p

on the flow master one, the jury’s out still - without firsthand access I have to rely on others’ recordings and when they’re done with a phone camera/mic it’s hard to trust the results. Either the flow master squashed the 106hz range, or the mic used to record the videos doesn’t record that low :p

if I know exactly what phone recorded a video I can look up the mic specs but I’d honestly say I don’t know, but the vids I’ve seen are promising. I would rate my response as “cautiously optimistic”

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It came down to the Thermal and the Flowmaster for me, the Flowmaster just sounded a little rowdier, so the teenage boy that is still within me pulled the trigger on that one. That mixed with the fact that I found it for under $470 brand new made it an easy buy.

I rarely drive on the freeway, so drone would not be much of an issue for me if it happens to be there.
I realize that you are in Cali, so of course, NO SALT to worry about, but is the Flowmaster even 409 stainless, or is it just aluminized steel for that price??

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
It’s 409, which is surprising for that price.
man if the flowie is drone free, 409 stainless, and looks decent it’s a total steal.

anyone with flow master systems, please post some sound bites accelerating from a stop, and in third or fourth gear full throttle from 2500 to 4500 rpm or so. Try for 30 second plus clips. The better the audio the more useful the clips are. If you don’t have an assistant to hold the phone or camera put it on the passenger seat and not on a hard surface like a cup holder. I really want to do a solid spectrum analysis on the system :)

still can’t wait to see what Ron’s cooking for dinner too, hopefully he picked a muffler/setup that kills the drone.

tbh I’ve been thinking about going back to stock exhaust lately. Turbo noises from intake and turbo smart dv are better than exhaust noise to me personally :)

I wonder if it’d be hard to sell the de droned mbrp. I already have too many fist exhausts sitting in the garage lol.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Haha. Quite literally no salt at all here, sometimes it gets down to 35! And as the post above me says, it’s is indeed 409.
just because I’m paranoid I’d still spray the welds with exhaust paint because a lot of places use stainless but non stainless welds. Might even come pre coated tho.

Brianmc27

I made a video for science! For some reason it cut off the stock cold start, but you all know what that sounds like. Early returns show a surprisingly quiet cabin with no detectable drone.

OEM cold start 65 dB, 2500 rpm 68.5 dB
Flowmaster cold start 77 dB, 2500 rpm 83 dB
-so maybe 20% louder?

My only criticism would be that I think the supplied exhaust hanger could be a little shorter and the tips looks a bit saggy
Any ideas which aftermarket hanger could solve that?

View: https://youtu.be/DarOV95W_1Q

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I made a video for science! For some reason it cut off the stock cold start, but you all know what that sounds like. Early returns show a surprisingly quiet cabin with no detectable drone.

-so maybe 20% louder?

My only criticism would be that I think the supplied exhaust hanger could be a little shorter and the tips looks a bit saggy

maybe a set of whoosh hangers? They’re sturdier than stock but not as hard as the torque solutions ones.

PhoenixM3

-so maybe 20% louder?

You haven’t deleted your resonato, correct?

man if the flowie is drone free, 409 stainless, and looks decent it’s a total steal.

anyone with flow master systems, please post some sound bites accelerating from a stop, and in third or fourth gear full throttle from 2500 to 4500 rpm or so. Try for 30 second plus clips. The better the audio the more useful the clips are. If you don’t have an assistant to hold the phone or camera put it on the passenger seat and not on a hard surface like a cup holder. I really want to do a solid spectrum analysis on the system :)

still can’t wait to see what Ron’s cooking for dinner too, hopefully he picked a muffler/setup that kills the drone.

tbh I’ve been thinking about going back to stock exhaust lately. Turbo noises from intake and turbo smart dv are better than exhaust noise to me personally :)

I wonder if it’d be hard to sell the de droned mbrp. I already have too many fist exhausts sitting in the garage lol.
What did you end up doing to the MBPR @Clint Beastwood ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
What did you end up doing to the MBPR @Clint Beastwood ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lol I wanted to prove math could de drone the worst fist exhaust so I calculated out what I needed to cancel a 10.5 foot wavelength and made my own quarter wave resonator. There’s a thread about cancelling drone on an mbrp that I did somewhere on here.