Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cat or no cat

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
Catalytic converter or no catalytic converter, the age old question when it comes to performance cars. The first thing that needs to be known is that the first cat’s that came out in 1974, were big, heavy, generated a lot of heat that actually burned cars down if you parked them in deep snow. The Akron PD lost several of their new Nova’s this way. The pellets used looked like kitty liter. They did not work very well and pollution reduction was minimal. The only thing they did well was create a huge restriction in the exhaust.

Now lets jump forward a couple of decades. No more kitty litter. No huge restriction and no more cars burning down. We have production cars pushing major HP numbers stock and all of them have catalytic converters. With production cars hitting numbers that our Fiesta ST’s for the most part will never see, cat’s are not a restriction to performance.

Back in the day (15 years ago) I worked for a whole sale parts house, so I had access to our suppliers and as a bonus their R/D departments. Catco® Products - Catalytic Converters & Exhausts Catalog | CarParts.com was one of them, in fact they were at that time a major suppliers to the big auto manufacturers around the world,. I was developing an exhaust system for my 98 Contour SE Sport. I wanted a performance cat, so I talked to one of their R/D engineers. Also as a side note, Catco at that time manufactured Magnaflows performance catalytic converters. According to the engineer “Performance” cats did not exist per say. If you wanted a “Performance” cat you used one from a bigger engine. In the case of my V-6 Contour, I ended up using a 2in. dual inlet, 2.5in. single outlet cat from a 5.7 Camaro.

Now cats are measured by cell count, the smaller the number the more free flowing it is supposed to be. Is it? Well it sounds good on paper. Being that I no longer have the hook with Catco, I have to trust the info I can dig up on the net. Being kind of a Green person and a hot rodder, I’ll run a cat, just one with a low cell number.

ronmcdon

I would run a cat myself. I think it's the responsible thing to do for the environment and not stink things up for fellow drivers at events. Also am thinking it might be just cheap insurance to keep the more pricey oem cat in good condition given I track my car a bit more.

looking more at the COBB dp with GESI cat although pricier at $600. These days its also a hassle if you live in CA, my understanding is they won't even ship it to you( so I will have it shipped to a friend out of state and then have them ship to me)

https://www.cobbtuning.com/products...EoeAgxdc3-6V8guycscikGt2ydAINxVUaAhCbEALw_wcB

OP
Old Mike Emerson

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
Thread Starter #5
Thank you! So many just don't care these days and performance and running clean and NOT mutually exclusive as you know. I'm the same as you and a true car guy having been a former Road Test Editor for Motor Trend magazine.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I bet you got some stories to tell. ;)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
If you wanted a “Performance” cat you used one from a bigger engine. In the case of my V-6 Contour, I ended up using a 2in. dual inlet, 2.5in. single outlet cat from a 5.7 Camaro.
That had to be from an LT1 4th gen ('93-'97), or even an older late 3rd gen 5.7.

Since my (and I believe the '98 and '99 as well) 4th gen Z28 LS1 had a catcon on EACH side, coming directly off of, and bolted to, the cast iron exhaust manifold.

OP
Old Mike Emerson

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
Thread Starter #8
That had to be from an LT1 4th gen ('93-'97), or even an older late 3rd gen 5.7.

Since my (and I believe the '98 and '99 as well) 4th gen Z28 LS1 had a catcon on EACH side, coming directly off of, and bolted to, the cast iron exhaust manifold.
I think it was off a 3rd gen 5.7, the dude at Catco gave me the part number.

Magnetic

My dads 96 Mustang had like 3 cats on each side tpp! Now I wonder how much more it would've breathed if he removed them.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Always always always catted. Life may be short for me but hopefully not for others. We only get one Earth so cherish it. Sure "I'm only one person, what harm can it do?" But multiply that times millions and it has an impact. I wish there was more of a crackdown on decatting.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I would run a cat myself. I think it's the responsible thing to do for the environment and not stink things up for fellow drivers at events. Also am thinking it might be just cheap insurance to keep the more pricey oem cat in good condition given I track my car a bit more.

looking more at the COBB dp with GESI cat although pricier at $600. These days its also a hassle if you live in CA, my understanding is they won't even ship it to you( so I will have it shipped to a friend out of state and then have them ship to me)

https://www.cobbtuning.com/products...EoeAgxdc3-6V8guycscikGt2ydAINxVUaAhCbEALw_wcB
Wow that thing is in the middle of EO testing by Cobb . If they get an EO for it I will swap out my Mountune Sportcat for it, So I can be legal.

Oh and for the record and I will come right out and say this anyone not running a cat because its cheaper or because they think its going to give them more power well those days have past( the latter not the former). That is old thinking and proven not to be true. So either run your stock downpipe ( proven to still be fine in a 375hp FiSTS) or spend the money on a catted one.

I.E. you want to save money don’t change your downpipe. Don’t add to the problem.

Last edited:

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
One of many great things about this community responsible modification. Off topic but the Genesis G70 I have has the same engine as the Kia stinger. Anyway removing the catalytic converters is very common they would slap me if I told them they shouldn't do that. I don't have a problem with individuals removing the second set of catalytic converters that some vehicles have, but the main one that basically does everything good idea to keep it.

Luckily we don't even have to worry about a secondary catalytic converter on this car.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
Old Mike Emerson

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
Thread Starter #14
One of many great things about this community responsible modification. Off topic but the Genesis G70 I have has the same engine as the Kia stinger. Anyway removing the catalytic converters is very common they would slap me if I told them they shouldn't do that. I don't have a problem with individuals removing the second set of catalytic converters that some vehicles have, but the main one that basically does everything good idea to keep it.

Luckily we don't even have to worry about a secondary catalytic converter on this car.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
There have been plenty of builds using only 2 cats and have lower than stock emissions. Four is government ignorance and or someone in the catalytic converter industry getting rich by over catting.

Our Cats aren't just an emissions device, it also has features that indicate that it's also an Expansion Chamber. I suspect that the purpose of that necked down area within the Cat is to create a "standing Vacuum Wave" at the turbocharger exit. It's why I've been perfectly satisfied to leave my Cat as is.

OP
Old Mike Emerson

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
Thread Starter #17
I've seen claims that state the stock cat is good from 300hp to 375hp, I don't know not at those levels yet, but I'll see when I get there. I will say I will use a cat of some kind.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I just ordered a whoosh catless DP only because it's about 200 to 300 dollars cheaper then aftermarket carted downpipes. Money talks
Then why did you buy an aftermarket DP at all? 0 gains until you're pushing *big* power. Are you running a 2867?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
There are some folks that are "shave weight from anything but my waistline" and air-conditioning. Won't help with them. Just a matter of priorities.

Despite having a much smaller engine and hauling a fraction of the weight, one can loose a few bwane cells riding behind some of the cruiser bikes for a length of time. Talk about getting fumigated...