Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Catch can vent to atmosphere

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I did get rid of both hoses actually and have noticed no ill effects aside from a slide odour at idle and my IAT is consistently lower. My breather should be here in the next day or two, says its in Vancouver now.
4 days so far with mine..all types of driving and roughly 250 miles. No oily residue, oil pooling, etc.
good feedback guys...

And [MENTION=2052]crankin[/MENTION] ...let us know how the breather caps works on your as well...I should have mine here by Friday...

OP
C
Thread Starter #82
There are 3 hoses did you remove all 3 or drivers side and middle
I am not aware of 3 hoses. One returns to intake manifold and the other to the intake aft filter. I may be mistaken but the other hose you speak of is egr related. While some on FoST have deleted and they have a delete kit available it is more than I would like to mess with at this point.

OP
C
Thread Starter #83
good feedback guys...

And [MENTION=2052]crankin[/MENTION] ...let us know how the breather caps works on your as well...I should have mine here by Friday...
Currently in customs. Will do.

Ok I did not know what the middle hose was for thankyou for clearing that up will be ordering mine this week

OP
C
Thread Starter #85
Ok I did not know what the middle hose was for thankyou for clearing that up will be ordering mine this week
On closer inspection a few pages back someone stated crank case vent to valve cover is the middle yellow hose in the diagram. To be honest it doesn't enter the intake tract any where so I wouldn't be concerned about it or mess with it. My only goal is to not be venting hot oil vapors into my cool clean air. I definetly am not an expert and this has been a little trial and error on my part.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
On closer inspection a few pages back someone stated crank case vent to valve cover is the middle yellow hose in the diagram. To be honest it doesn't enter the intake tract any where so I wouldn't be concerned about it or mess with it. My only goal is to not be venting hot oil vapors into my cool clean air. I definetly am not an expert and this has been a little trial and error on my part.
Well it feeds the valve cover from the crankcase and lets the blowby pressure release up into the valve cover if not for that bad boy I doubt there would be much in the way of oil vapors or positive pressure in the valve cover area..

OP
C
Thread Starter #87
Looky what I got. I'll let you know about any blowby after a few days. You can see in the photo I have now permanently capped the PCV with a 3/4 vacuum cap, not a chair foot.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Looky what I got. I'll let you know about any blowby after a few days. You can see in the photo I have now permanently capped the PCV with a 3/4 vacuum cap, not a chair foot.

Any difference in idle or feel of the car w/o PCV? Keep us updated :)

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
CFM Baffled Billet Valve Cover Breather Kit - Installed

http://www.c-f-m.com/performancepar...ther-Kit-for-2013-Focus-ST-ST250-258p3732.htm

CFM breather Cap Wrinkle black.jpg

Installed:
The "wrinkle black" breather cap blends in nicely for a more integrated look...

Breather Cap.jpg

Quick Check:
Verified (@ Idle) that "Vacuum", "AFR", "STFT" (Short Term Fuel Trims) all remain unchanged and look good....

CFM Breather Quick Check.jpg

I also just ran a few good 24~25psi pulls and saw no oil seep or splash on the top surface of the breather cap baffle...And Fuel Trims still remained well behaved during pulls...

Will continue to monitor....

OP
C
Thread Starter #91
I can report that I am seeing oil splash under the cap of my breather but that is where it remains, it is not spraying out anywhere under the hood under some 25psi pulls. I copied the method used by a member in the FoST forum and drilled a hole in the upper baffle to allow the oil to drain back into the lower check ball area. Keep in mind I have permanently capped the PCV line and the other that returns to the intake. IMHO it is doing what I intended it to do and am pleased with the results.
[MENTION=1094]JPGC[/MENTION] which didn't have any splash was still running the PCV line through a catch can and I am curious if he has seen a reduced amount of blow by. I imagine having some vacuum in the engine probably helps keep the check ball more controlled as opposed to mine which I am sure is bouncing around in there.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Hey thanks for the update and feedback [MENTION=2052]crankin[/MENTION]....

There is a very good possibility that entirely capping off your PCV line as well as other returns is causing some oil splash to occur onto the surface of the baffle...In speaking directly with CFM recently they strongly recommend to have an OCC installed along with their breather cap and not delete or cap off any other breather lines... The CFM breather cap should not be used as the only source for venting...hope that helps clarify things....

[HR][/HR]
Here is my update:

Its been about 1.5 weeks since I've had the breather cap installed and still no issues to report with the top baffled surface of the breather cap still free of any oil residue....

I've also been running numerous WOT +25psi tuning pulls lately and still no sign of any oil seep or splash on the top baffled surface of the breather cap ...I currently do not have an OCC installed (hope to have that done by end of this week) and still have all other stock PCV and breather hoses in place...After I do install the OCC I still plan on keeping all other breather hoses installed....

JPGC

2000 Post Club
I can report that I am seeing oil splash under the cap of my breather but that is where it remains, it is not spraying out anywhere under the hood under some 25psi pulls. I copied the method used by a member in the FoST forum and drilled a hole in the upper baffle to allow the oil to drain back into the lower check ball area. Keep in mind I have permanently capped the PCV line and the other that returns to the intake. IMHO it is doing what I intended it to do and am pleased with the results.
[MENTION=1094]JPGC[/MENTION] which didn't have any splash was still running the PCV line through a catch can and I am curious if he has seen a reduced amount of blow by. I imagine having some vacuum in the engine probably helps keep the check ball more controlled as opposed to mine which I am sure is bouncing around in there.
I'm getting ready to check my cc soon to see where the level is. I will report the results here when I do. I'm curious to see this as well. CFM, the company who sells the breather, seems to think that the breather/ cc combo is the best.

Etyrnus

So the breather is better than not having anything, but not as good as having both it and an OCC...still makes me feel good that I ordered a breather.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
So the breather is better than not having anything, but not as good as having both it and an OCC...still makes me feel good that I ordered a breather.
It could be simply the company trying to sell a breather and catch can...idk, lol. At the very least, I'm going to see if it affects the amount of oil collected in the catch can. I will say that I have over a thousand miles with it on now and no hint of oil mist/ residual in the engine bay. Which is good. Could mean that the valve is doing its job or simply that I'm not getting and blowby due to excess pressure...as in the PCV is venting properly and my cc is doing its job. Either way as long as I'm not sucking a huge amount of oil into the intake manifold...I'm happy.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
It could be simply the company trying to sell a breather and catch can...idk, lol. At the very least, I'm going to see if it affects the amount of oil collected in the catch can. I will say that I have over a thousand miles with it on now and no hint of oil mist/ residual in the engine bay. Which is good. Could mean that the valve is doing its job or simply that I'm not getting and blowby due to excess pressure...as in the PCV is venting properly and my cc is doing its job. Either way as long as I'm not sucking a huge amount of oil into the intake manifold...I'm happy.
Hey Roger...I saw your planning on checking your OCC levels and just double checking to hear if you emptied the OCC after installing the breather cap in order to compare before and after amounts accumulated after ~1000miles? Interested in hearing what you find....

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Hey Roger...I saw your planning on checking your OCC levels and just double checking to hear if you emptied the OCC after installing the breather cap in order to compare before and after amounts accumulated after ~1000miles? Interested in hearing what you find....
Lol, yeah I did...I added the breather cap, did an oil change and emptied my cc at the same time. I did almost forget though...that's why it's funny.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Lol, yeah I did...I added the breather cap, did and oil change and emptied my cc at the same time. I did almost forget though...that's why it's funny.
thanks! Its just that I'm planning on installing my OCC by the end of week and with having my breather cap already installed I have no baseline to verify against so am very curious to see if you see any difference?

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Okay, so after my long drive today, I figured that I would go ahead and check my catch car to see if there was a difference in the amount of oil collected in the catch can with the breather and valve installed vice just having the catch can. This puts me at around 1500 miles since the install of the breather and valve, last oil change and the emptying of the catch can...to my surprise, the catch can collected nearly twice as much oil as the last time I checked the catch can ( btw, I check and empty the catch can about every 1500 miles also). I usually get about half an ounce every 1500 miles, but this time I got around an ounce. Now, I will say that I used a different oil this time. I usually use AMSOIL 5w-30 signature series, but this time I used Royal Purple 5w-30 because I had the day off and I didn't want to wait for UPS to deliver the AMSOIL. I have my AMSOIL for my next oil change, btw. Sooo, the higher amount of oil caught could be because of the different oil and/ or the fact that it's been much colder outside over the last few weeks. Either way...the breather and valve didn't reduce the amount of oil pulled into the PCV. I still have no residue around the breather as well. Below are two pics of the amount of oil that I have caught in the catch can. One is without the breather with AMSOIL and warmer air and the other is with the breather with Royal Purple in cooler air.

Without breather/ valve with AMSOIL and warmer air outside
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424902792.239435.jpg

With the breather/ valve with Royal Purple and cooler air outside
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424902879.356726.jpg