Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Charger to install AP?

Do you really need to hook up a battery charger to install cobb accessport? How many did or did not?

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
I have done it both ways the first time is the longest if it is just a map swap I don't bother just hope I don't brick my ECU . that be a bad thing ...

me32

1000 Post Club
Isn't the most important part is to make sure the battery has a full charge.

me32

1000 Post Club
You just don't want it dying during the flash.
I guess its new to me. But comming from the mustang world using sct the device is powered from OBD2 port. The importance of having a fully charge car battery to keep from bricking the ecu.

I have flashed the mountune 93 bespoke tune every morning...flashed the Cobb anti theft every night...no charger...my god it's a new car...that means new battery...and it only takes a minute or two...the reason they even talk about a battery charger is liability reduction...it's not like you're using an electric towing winch to pull your buddies car out of the swamp...you are transferring data...everything is ok and your battery is more than capable of transferring 0's and 1's without killing your battery

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
I've probably flashed my ECU's on the fiesta and my old speed 6 50 times, and never once have I hooked a charger up.
If your battery can't handle the 5-10 minutes it takes to flash the ecu, its time for a new battery..

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Do you really need to hook up a battery charger to install cobb accessport? How many did or did not?
Cobb only says this as a precautionary thing.
If your battery is fully charged and in good shape there should be no problem.

The only problem would be if your battery failed in the middle of a re-flash, all files could be lost.
This would mean that your car may not start and you may need to have it towed to a dealer to re-flash the PCM.
That would be if you told them the truth about what you were doing.
If you told them that you did not know and the car just didn't start, they may want to replace the PCM.

If the dealer then sends the PCM in for analyses, this could cost you a bunch.

Dave

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Cobb only says this as a precautionary thing.
If your battery is fully charged and in good shape there should be no problem.

The only problem would be if your battery failed in the middle of a re-flash, all files could be lost.
This would mean that your car may not start and you may need to have it towed to a dealer to re-flash the PCM.
That would be if you told them the truth about what you were doing.
If you told them that you did not know and the car just didn't start, they may want to replace the PCM.

If the dealer then sends the PCM in for analyses, this could cost you a bunch.

Dave
Well put Sir ... Rep'd