Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Class action lawsuit

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
This stuff happens all the time with automakers pushing the limits of laws. Just a couple of years ago vw modified their diesel vehicles to run super clean while being tested and then as soon as the vehicle knew it wasnt being tested anymore it changed map settings. It was engineered to beat the system. Just wondering what else Ford is lying about and if any of their money saving tricks are going to impact my car. Luckily the only thing that's happened was a broken vent door actuator on my car. I blew the engine up... Can't blame that on Ford haha

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
This stuff happens all the time with automakers pushing the limits of laws. Just a couple of years ago vw modified their diesel vehicles to run super clean while being tested and then as soon as the vehicle knew it wasnt being tested anymore it changed map settings. It was engineered to beat the system. Just wondering what else Ford is lying about and if any of their money saving tricks are going to impact my car. Luckily the only thing that's happened was a broken vent door actuator on my car. I blew the engine up... Can't blame that on Ford haha

Now an this is totally old news. It figures more tort lawyers would be trying to jump on it. They need people to sue because thats how the assholes make money. Ya Ford was messed up with DCT but tort lawyers are no better in my eyes. Lol

SteveS

1000 Post Club
These class action lawsuits only help the lawyers. By the time they take their fees from the settlement, people end up with a $5 check or maybe $20 for their trouble.

These class action lawsuits only help the lawyers. By the time they take their fees from the settlement, people end up with a $5 check or maybe $20 for their trouble.
In addition these lawsuits also drive up the cost of new vehicles. The ONLY people ho actually get rich off these schemes are the bottom dwelling slimy lawyers to start these lawsuits.

I have a co-worker who was effected by the Focus transmission problems. The first one that failed was while the car was under warranty. The second one that failed she had been taking the car into the dealer for 6 months complaining about bad shifting. When it finally went toes up and wouldn't move the car at all word had gotten around about the double clutch issues and Ford gave her paperwork for a lifetime warranty on the transmission no matter the mileage or age.

Basically Ford has acknowledged these issues and is taking care of the customers. As a Stockholder in Ford I am not happy about this situation, they should have done more testing before releasing that design and avoided this whole mess. In addition I feel that Ford needs to do something that dates back to Henry Ford in the "teen's" when the Model T was all Ford made. That is they should go thru Engineering and fire every other employee. Ford has Testing facilities and they spend a lot of time and money on testing. So how on earth did this crappy transmission get approved for manufacture. This isn't some assembly line worker having a bad day, this is a terrible design with major issues that some Vice President approved for manufacture. Yeah, I'm thinking Ford needs to start chopping heads and they have to be the ones at the top because this was a monumental screwup.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Now an this is totally old news. It figures more tort lawyers would be trying to jump on it. They need people to sue because thats how the assholes make money. Ya Ford was messed up with DCT but tort lawyers are no better in my eyes. Lol
I would respectfully disagree. I'm a retired lawyer. I didn't handle tort or class action lawsuits, I had a general practice in a small town and did a lot of criminal and traffic cases, but being a lawyer does give me a different perspective.
I think that sometimes a lawsuit is the only way to expose corporate wrongdoing. This is particularly true in an area where government regulation is lax. Large corporations often have too much influence on the agencies that are supposed to regulate them, and there is sometimes a revolving door where people go back and forth between the two. In those cases, it's either a private lawsuit, or essentially no regulation at all.
I recently read a revealing article by a doctor who was talking about how essentially unregulated medical devices like hip implants are, and describing extensive problems that have been caused by the failure of many of these devices. He said the FDA theoretically regulates them, but in practice does so much less rigorously then with their regulation of drugs, and also says some laws made it difficult to sue the companies that make these devices. He actually advocated for changing those laws and making it easier to sue those companies as the only way to provide more protection for patients.
I would agree with @SteveS above that in the class actions, the lawyers often take a huge recovery, and the beneficiaries get a small amount. That has certainly happened to me as the beneficiary of various small class action suits. It does appear, though, that in this class action involving the Ford DCT transmissions that at least some of the beneficiaries will get a substantial settlement. It also appears that government regulation did not provide them with an effective remedy in this case, as in the hip implant situation I referenced above.
So again, in many cases the choice is either no effective regulation or a private lawsuit. In this case it does look like Ford's conduct was pretty bad, that they knew about a serious problem for a long time and either did nothing about it or actively tried to cover it up, and should have been held accountable for it. That lawsuit was probably the only way that this was going to happen.

Last edited:

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Yes, it was definitely a bad choice to go ahead with that transmission. I suspect the problem was money spent, lack of an alternative that fit the packaging requirements, and hope in blind luck at being able to work out a solution. It failed them.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
No this is all due to ferd NOT LISTENING to the engineers about the Dry clutch having issues but rolled it out anyways. Wouldn't want it to be a Wet clutch trans and be like a vast majority of the manufacturers! [wrenchin]

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
No this is all due to ferd NOT LISTENING to the engineers about the Dry clutch having issues but rolled it out anyways. Wouldn't want it to be a Wet clutch trans and be like a vast majority of the manufacturers! [wrenchin]
Everythings just better wet.

There was a day when the DCT was the new leading edge stuff that came after the racing type sequentials, on Ferrari and Lamborghini, then on to the rest of expensive cars Mercedes AMG and BMW M, as the others try to copy and innovate and bring it into the mainstream, but they have to dance around a lot of patents. Then comes the lawyers when it isn't perfect.

I like some of the advances, also think of Direct Injection, Formula One stuff not too long ago.

Interesting that Ford pushed to get it out to the common people so quickly. No inside information here, just general personal observation, so feel free to correct me with the real story.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
They pushed it out due to having too much cash invested into the transmission for their broke selves to abandon it. Dumb ceo doing dumb ceo stuff.