Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Climate Control Heater Issue

^exact same thing happened to me at the first dealership...I'm only a consumer, I don't know how to research and diagnose an issue, so I couldn't possibly know what the problem was.
How'd you make out? Did they install the new part yet?

I had mine at the dealership since Tuesday. They reflashed the module again and it's still having the same issue. They have a tech case open with Ford so they can get approval to replace the module. I decided to use the car over the weekend and I'll drop it back off to them when I go on vacation next week and won't need it. He also mentioned that they got another Fiesta in that's having the same problem.

Got the call last Friday that it was ready. Went to pick it up, the service advisor checked to make sure it was fixed. Apparently it wasn't, the part was still on order, but his technicians told him it was fixed. So I took my car and he was going to call me when the part came in. Went to drive off, got about 5 miles away and got a check engine light accompanied by an alert on the Sync3 "Hill Start Assist is Unavailable." Took it back, turned the car off and it cleared the CEL. They could not replicate the issue and had my car for an hour driving it trying to do so. I drove home thinking it was a fluke. Monday when I drove it, same thing happened so I drove it in and left it running so the code would not clear. Apparently my brake light switch got broken somehow (gee, I wonder if that happened when they were tearing my dash apart?), which threw a CEL. I told them I would not be taking my car, and made them give me a loaner/rental. Picked my car up the next day with both the original and the new issue fixed.

Long story short, my climate control is now better than it was before I took it in for all of this. Still not perfect by any means, but much improved.

Still not fixed yet. I left the car with them for the week while I was on vacation, figuring it would be done when I got back, but apparently the module is on national backorder and probably wont show up for another week. That makes 3 weeks to fix a climate control issue. Is Ford service normally this lousy? Is this what I have to look forward to for the rest of the warranty period?

DaveG99

Finally taking my car in tomorrow for the climate control fix. Thankfully one of the North Texas ST guys is a tech there. I told him about the SSM and he is going to take care of it. Reading about all these horror stories about getting this flash done had me worried. I'm hoping it gets fixed with just a flash. I'll keep you guys updated.

DaveG99

The flash didn't work. It made it even worse. Now it wants to blow out of the defrost no matter what button is pressed. And i dont think the AC is even engaging. I left the car there and they are going to see what they can do.

DaveG99

Couldn't be much more displeased right now. Had my car at the dealership all day for them to fix this issue, after explaining to them the problem more than three times (one over phone when I made the appointment, once when I dropped it off, and once again over the phone today when they couldn't replicated it by saying "when does it not blow hot? It's on max right now and hotter than hell in there") and trying to tell them about the SSM, they finally looked up the SSM and I guess installed the flash or whatever. Went to go pick the car up, after they fixed it and verified it was fixed supposedly. Drove off, tested it, and sure enough now the controls don't work correctly. When no setting for where the air blows (dash, feet, defrost) is selected, it's the only time it blows out of the dash. When I press any of the other three of those settings, it will only blow out of the defrost. For some reason, when I set it to max temperature it turns the A/C on? And they can't do anything about it for a week, even though it's more screwed up now than when I dropped it off.

And to top it off, they "washed" it for me. They sprayed off my car which was detailed prior to going in and it is shitty looking with water spots all over it. Thanks a lot.

Rant complete...anyone else have similar issues?
I got mine flashed today and it did the exact same thing

I got a 2016 fiesta st in February. I had the issue of the heat blowing cold air unless it was set to max. I had to wait for this ssm to come out which ended up being a flash on the heater control module, I have a friend that works at the ford dealership that did the flash for me. This was probably back in march 2016. Since then I have experienced no heater issues with my car, however all cars that where produced after April 2016 should have came with the new software already installed on the car, the issues that you guys are seeing may be something that I never experienced with my car, but that ssm number that you are throwing around was intended to fix the heater blowing cold air except for on max you may have a issue with the blend motor

I got mine flashed today and it did the exact same thing
That's crummy man. Very aggravating, for sure. They ended up replacing several components, I will have to look at the slip to see exactly what they replaced though.

I got a 2016 fiesta st in February. I had the issue of the heat blowing cold air unless it was set to max. I had to wait for this ssm to come out which ended up being a flash on the heater control module, I have a friend that works at the ford dealership that did the flash for me. This was probably back in march 2016. Since then I have experienced no heater issues with my car, however all cars that where produced after April 2016 should have came with the new software already installed on the car, the issues that you guys are seeing may be something that I never experienced with my car, but that ssm number that you are throwing around was intended to fix the heater blowing cold air except for on max you may have a issue with the blend motor

I think you may be correct, makes some sense for sure. How do I find out my build date? Is it on the window sticker?

DaveG99

That's crummy man. Very aggravating, for sure. They ended up replacing several components, I will have to look at the slip to see exactly what they replaced though.
Please do. I'm curious to see what fixed yours.

DaveG99

So they have a HVAC module ordered and it should be here by tomorrow. Hopefully it fixes it. I know some other people in this thread had a "module" changed and it worked.

So they have a HVAC module ordered and it should be here by tomorrow. Hopefully it fixes it. I know some other people in this thread had a "module" changed and it worked.

That's what was replaced on mine, the HVAC module.

DaveG99

So the tech replaced the HVAC module and it's back to doing what it did in the first place. He is waiting on a response from the Ford engineers. If they say they need to replace the actuators then they will have to remove the entire dash!

OP
S
Thread Starter #235
So the tech replaced the HVAC module and it's back to doing what it did in the first place. He is waiting on a response from the Ford engineers. If they say they need to replace the actuators then they will have to remove the entire dash!
If you look far enough back in this thread, you can see all of the paperwork on what was replaced on my car. The HVAC module did nothing, as did the actuators. I never had the flash done, and mine works flawlessly. They eventually replaced the evaporator and housing. It's been awhile so I don't remember every detail, but I'm fairly certain there's a sensor included in that piece of the system. I really think that there's a bad sensor in the cars with that build date range. If the flash fixes anything, I think it's just tricking a bad sensor. It's been most of a year, and everything still works. That might be worth mentioning to your dealer before you let them disassemble your entire dash over and over again like they did with mine...

DaveG99

If you look far enough back in this thread, you can see all of the paperwork on what was replaced on my car. The HVAC module did nothing, as did the actuators. I never had the flash done, and mine works flawlessly. They eventually replaced the evaporator and housing. It's been awhile so I don't remember every detail, but I'm fairly certain there's a sensor included in that piece of the system. I really think that there's a bad sensor in the cars with that build date range. If the flash fixes anything, I think it's just tricking a bad sensor. It's been most of a year, and everything still works. That might be worth mentioning to your dealer before you let them disassemble your entire dash over and over again like they did with mine...
I told the tech what you said. We will see what happens. Do you have a copy of the paper work? Or maybe a screen shot ?

OP
S
Thread Starter #237
I told the tech what you said. We will see what happens. Do you have a copy of the paper work? Or maybe a screen shot ?
I don't know where the paper work is for that last repair, but I do have a post in this thread with everything that happened up until that point. You can at least use that as a guide of what not to do!

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...l-Heater-Issue?p=132239&viewfull=1#post132239

There are some posts around page 14-15 of this thread talking about a sensor behind the LCD screen. You may want to read through those too.

Replace the actuators..... what? The actuators are working fine though. I don't understand how that's supposed to solve anything. My part is still on order and I'm not looking forward bringing it in and seeing how this goes. Car doesn't even have 1000 miles on it yet.

DaveG99

Update from the tech:

Well they want me to ohm out all the circuits in question for the actuator and actuator position sensor which pretty much entails pulling alot of the car apart . I'm gonna try that reprogram again and see if that doesn't do it the dash most likely will have to come out which means the car will be down for a while ....