Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clutch falling to floor

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
So I'm putting together the last of my project. Is the slave cylinder actuated by vacuum? If so that would make sense why it falls to the floor. Just making sure I didn't install anything incorrectly. I did replace the slave cylinder as well as the final gear and put an lsd in.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
It is not actuated by Vaccum...its all Hydraulic. It needs to be Bled.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Put a one person brake bleeding kit with a check valve on your slave cylinder. Open up the valve and pump the clutch pedal a few times then close the valve. Top off the reservoir with DOT4. I have a Vacuum Pump so I just used that and when I had to bleed the slave cylinder by myself.
Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Sekred

1000 Post Club
The first time you push the clutch pedal down after replacing and bleeding the slave cylinder the pedal will go to the floor and stay there because of the spring assist on the pedal linkage. Pull the pedal back up with your hand and bleed again. Keep repeating till the pedal returns to its normal position.

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
With my prior car, the return pressure was generated by the action of the springs on the clutch assembly inside the transmission. (the springs that hold the clutch disc to the flywheel) So those springs pressed on the throw-out bearing, which pushed on the clutch fork, which pushed on the slave cylinder, which pushed on the master cylinder, which pushed on the clutch pedal.

Failures were rare, (particularly without regular abuse,) but they were typically in the hydraulic system. About pulled my hair out bleeding the system. Started out filling brake fluid reservoir to tip-top full, all the way up to the lid. I watched the reservoir levels, adding fluid as it bled, never allowing it to get low or really much below the full line on the reservoir for that matter. Longer story short, the reservoir is shared... brake master, clutch master. It's compartmentalized with a spillway. There was a tiny back corner of its brake fluid reservoir, that was dedicated to the clutch master cylinder. I couldn't see that and was only reading brake fluid level. So the reason I had such a [rant] time bleeding, the clutch master portion in the back corner, was bone dry, but the portion I could see was still almost to the full line. [?|][bash][boxface]