Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clutch Foot Pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite curious to see if anyone else has been experiencing pain in their left foot from the clutch pedal.

I've driven manual cars before and never had this problem, however, I will mention that my FiST is the first manual car that I daily drive.
Either way, the pain is rather moderate and located at the forefront of my foot. It's at it's worst on Fridays and Saturdays, which is when I spend the bulk of the time stuck in stop-and-go traffic.

Could it be from the clutch pedal not supporting the force from my foot evenly?

or

Is it possible, my foot is just slowly adjusting to the pressure of daily driving a manual?

or

Do I need robot legs? I've been interested in that path for a while and Obama says it's covered under the ACA so I could just give him a ring.

Just a guess but are you sitting too far back? If you are having to point your toe to fully depress the clutch that might lead to the pain you are having.

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
I was going to ask the same question as scottiemac...try sitting more forward.

OP
MrClean
Thread Starter #4
I wouldn't guess so. Normally I get flack from friends for sitting further forward than most.

So let me get this straight - you let your friends determine how you sit in your car as opposed to trying what might work?

Harvick

1000 Post Club
Lower the seat height and moving the seat forward should help, remember you are supposed to press the clutch with your foot and not your toes. The FiST's clutch is by far one of the lightest out there so you shouldn't be getting foot pains.

If all else fails check to see if you have gout haha.

When you don't need to engage the clutch, put it in neutral....I used to drive an 18 wheeler, and until i learned this, my left leg was super fatigued...just a thought

I came from a BMW with a sport clutch. Talk about foot pain. The Fiesta is easy as pie, you'll get used to it.

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
I used to have a Thunderbird Supercoupe 5MT. That sumbitch had a clutch you needed some force to use.
You better have had beefy thighs to operate it - seriously.
With the same tranny as the Ranger (M5R2) you'd think it'd be as easy to clutch - NOPE LOL - that bastard felt like you had to hit it with 100+lb of force to push it to the floor - it was as stiff as the stickshift GMC Topkick (JH class) trucks I used to move around at U-Haul eight or nine years back

Come to think of it, I had my SC when I was working at U-Haul... in 2006, I think?

While I don't think anything will quite live up to the insane torque that car (Oh, you want 315+lb/ft at the wheels? OK HERE HAVE IT AT 1000RPM!) had I do like that the FiST and FoST come close with the level of 'suck-you-into-the-seat' torque they offer.

Now that I think about it though, after doing Octane Academy the next day my left calf KILLED me.
I am 29 and have traditionally had very strong legs (rode bicycles a lot in my youth) but a couple years ago an accident put me in a wheelchair for a few months, my legs aren't as strong as they used to be, nor are my hips after being broken in 4 places. (I'm held together with hardware - though it is steel and right under the skin I haven't been able to magnetically attach anything to it. Tried it with my best magnetic pickup. lol. There's a video of me at the LA auto show in the chair too lol

My shoulders were stiff after 9 hours in the recaros though

me32

1000 Post Club
Im guessing you have never owned a fox 5.0 with a T5. I think the clutch is really light on the fist.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Real race cars driven by real racers sit quite forward so they have more control over the car via more leverage and more direct feedback, those that sit far back are simply ignorant of a proper driving position, ignore them.

I have rather short legs and longer torso so I move the seat quite forward and then lean it back just right so I have great control over the controls, room to move freely and can depress the pedals fully without stretching out to them.

If you are doing this then the foot pain will either go away or manifest in some hidden injury or other health issue, possibly.

You may consider an exercise to strengthen your foot, while sitting at your desk at work, if you sit that is, or whatever position you spend most of your time in, it may even be the cause of the problem if not moving around enough, bad position straining it, etc.....

Shoes perhaps?

Great advice about being in neutral when you can, less wear on the TOB and pressure plate, which are either tedious to replace or costly if not DIY.

Also if you get hit you will be less likely to have any sort of in gear additional movement added to the situation and/or a broken transmission.

Added note, always have your wheels pointed straight when sitting in a turn lane waiting to turn, it keeps you from being pushed into apposing traffic.

Let us know how it turns out:)

Rick

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Might want a check up, if it's not your seating position. This clutch is nice and soft, by comparison to the Stage II in my old Eclipse, and Stage 3.5 in my old Genesis Coupe.

Etyrnus

The FiST is definitely the lighter clutch of the two manuals I've owned. The cobalt ss you needed the calf and thigh muscles of Thor to daily drive.

First, I agree that the clutch is light in the FiST. When I had my bugeye WRX, everytime I got off the freeway, I had to induce the strength of many bears to push the clutch in. Second, if you can get a robot leg, then you should already have a robot leg. No brainer. [screwy]

Status
Not open for further replies.